Strangest place you've ever found the bottle?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strangest place you've ever found the bottle?

Where's the strangest place you've ever found the bottle, can or glass? I'd like to hear how creative your A's can be. I've found them under beds, behind doors, behind standing photographs, on chair seats pushed under the table, in shoes, hidden behind books on a book shelf...

Do they REALLY think they are hiding? And from whom? Themselves or us?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Let's see - under the bathroom sink was his oddest, but I'm sure that's way down on the all-time odd list.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I stopped looking after his first drunken episode. But, a friend of mine, a recovering A, told me to check the toilet tank. A good place to hide all kinds of stuff and the last place most people look.

Have you checked your toilet lately?

We're not "supposed" to look for the stuff, right????????

Karen
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely not! I quit the bottle patrol years ago -- although I did just check the tank...LOL! Couldn't help myself. I usually find them when I'm cleaning the house. I've spilled so many glasses and cans of beer when vacuuming under the bed and chairs.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want a good laugh, read the first page from one of the chapters in Beattie's "Beyond Codependence." She goes on for 1 and a half pages about the lengths we go to in order to find the bottle, find the drunk, fix the drunk, hide the bottle, etc. Everytime I read it, I laugh.

Weirdest place? In a dirty gym sock hidden behind his boot locker in our guest bedroom closet. No, I wasn't looking for it - the cat was batting around the stiffest sock I had ever seen. Kitty decided to jump into the closet to look around and in doing so, he dragged out the sock. Inside this super-starched sock was an empty pint of Scotch. I laughed til I cried. Pathetic? Yes. But at it also hit my funny bone.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a funny question! I don't know what's the strangest - I usually didn't find these when I was "hunting" - mostly looking for other stuff or cleaning. It truly is amazing how dedicated to the bottle they are.

Wow - not sure I can beat behind standing photographs! Why can they remember where the bottles are when there's something in them but they just leave them there instead of throwing them away? Wait - I'm trying to mix sanity with insanity.

I've found bottles
In the back/backseat/center console of the truck
in a cabinet - bathroom in a vacation rental/house/garage
in a desk/garage drawer
in old boxes of stuff in the garage and shed
under the bed
in the computer bag/breifcase-bag/backpack thing
in the trash - stuff in an old work truck that accumulates till it gets taken to the dump
in the bushes, under the stairs, or on the porch (outside)
on top of the fridge in the garage

Never checked the tank....
Old 02-23-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by narekkm View Post
... check the toilet tank. A good place to hide all kinds of stuff and the last place most people look.

Have you checked your toilet lately?
That is One of the first places that the police look when checking a house on a warrant.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband drywalled our basement, and I found bottles and cans behind the walls. I also found them under the stairs in the garage. Lots of odd places over the years -- just can't remember them all. He hid his pill bottles and rolling papers in odd places, too.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AH never hid them, he was very arrogant about his drinking. The only thing he ever tried to hide was how early he started. It didn't work.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same here, Denny. He never hid anything.
At least he was polite when we first were dating and offered to make me a drink every now and then. He was drinking when I met him and he liked to remind me of that when my controlling started.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

let's see

in coat pockets, in cooler (filled with ice)-couldn't let it get warm. in my lunch bag, in the laundry baskets, in every cabinet, closet, in shoes, in drawers,boxes, in the attic, in the rafters and vents.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Over_It;1222744]but they just leave them there instead of throwing them away?

I use to look for his bottles and had a very hard time finding them. I stopped looking a long time ago. I have found them in many places when not looking. I have found many old empty bottles in an old van in the garage, the trash can is right there yet he seems to keep the empty bottles. Don't know why

I have found bottles, cans and glasses beside the garage
in the garage
behind the garage under a bucket
under the bed
in the freezer hidden under things
in the bar-b-q pit
in drawers
under the sink

the one that gets me the most, he came to me and asked me what I did with his stuff. I had no clue what he was talking about, after he asked a couple of times I realized he meant his bottle. I told him I didnt do anything with it, he looked at me like he didnt believe me, I asked him... why would I do that? He then wanted me to help him find it, I told him no, he started getting very upset that someone took it, I didnt move however I did happen to look where he had been sitting on the couch and saw it between the couch and end table in a brown bag. I said, you know what if you're going to get THAT upset over a bottle then you might need to rethink your problem, try looking where you were sitting. he looked and then you could see on his face he felt like an idiot.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The strangest places were in a bag of dry dog food and the dryer. I have no idea what exAH was thinking... oh I'm sorry, it must have been the dog who had the drinking problem.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gee, my AH wasn't original at all.

He hid it:
under his truck hood next to the battery!
under the spare tire (which braced underneath the truck)
in the attic (weighed down by so many bottles, it bowed the ceiling!!!)
in the freezer
in the wood pile
in the barn
in the garage
under the bushes
in the trees!!
in the sump pump!
in the trashbag bin
in the over-the-john cabinet
in the floor joists of the basement
in the bookcase (behind pictures and books, even the Big Book of A.A.)
under the hood of his tractor
behind the washing machine!

I think that list is exhaustive, but who knows.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AH would put them in the same spot. Now he would open beer cans and leave them places and then forget and get another. I quit looking really and then they would be there just doing normal things. They think they are so smart.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i used to hide my chocolate covered cherries, and other goodies in strange places, too.

i was always so humiliated when hubs found them. but i just couldn't stop myself. i used to make plates of peanut butter fudge and hide it within the stacks of plates in the cabinets.

so i was never really shocked when i found his bottles....just felt compassion for him because i knew how i was hiding sweets, too.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AH hid his beer in the clothes dryer - so I had to check the washer too to see if it was a matched set.
He hid beer in drawers in the bathroom & in the kitchenette in the basement & in a desk in the basement.
Underneath the basement stairs by the water softener.
In an unused basement room where we stored the kids' old little tykes toys -underneath them.
Underneath his cold -weather overalls/bibs (it was the middle of the summer).
Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Royalty

Mine doesn't think he has a problem, and he says he can quit anytime he wants, he just likes to drink beer (is there an emote for denial?)..... so I guess he isn't at the hiding stage, except for the ones he keeps in his car. We've been together almost 7 years, and AH has never given me a key to his car. He has the extra key to my vehicle, and his father has the extra key to his car.....

I think the reason that AH leaves so many emptys laying around the garage, porch, house, etc.. is so that he can drink whenever he wants, and just claims "that's an old one" if I would ever mention it.... I haven't mentioned it for six months, so maybe it's time to mention that he needs to go clean up all of his emptys
Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mine used to use that line, too ---> "That's an OLD bottle!!" Ahhh, but I knew the difference between an old, long forgotten bottle with dust and scratches on it vs a new shiny one!

Gawd!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The strangest place I found a can of beer was on the bathroom windowsill...behind the curtain.