Strangest place you've ever found the bottle?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The most creative hiding place where Richard hid his liquor bottles was behind the door to my walk-in closet. It worked for months until there were so many bottles lined up behind the door that it wouldn't close all the way.

Thinking there must be a piece of clothing blocking the door from opening fully, I peaked behind it. And there they were in all their glory--over a dozen bottles. Pretty clever, if you ask me. Why would I check my closet for his hidden bottles?

I never mentioned finding them. Just poured every last drop down the drain. And he never asked what happened to them because then he'd have to explain.

That was over two years ago. I no longer look for hidden bottles. My solution to the problem - I removed the alcoholic from my home and the bottles followed him.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

FDM - mine has been gone for nine months now and I actually just found some empty cans and a 12-pack box while cleaning out a storage closet. Talk about a flashback ... I'm like totally dizzy now.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I found some inside an old suitcase I used to keep in the gargage when I fetched it for a trip I was about to take.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mine didn't really hide too many (he didn't "need to" because he didn't and still doesn't "have a problem!") although sometimes I'd see a beer or two in the trunk of his car, under his seat, maybe in the golf bag.....

The strange thing about the hiding is that my parents bought my grandparents house after my Gpa died and my dad said he was still finding bottles hidden around the house (basement mainly) up until a few years ago when he moved (my Gpa died in 1961!!!). Even stranger, my dad took issue with me that he was an alcoholic! To this day when I smell bourbon,I think of him (and I was 7y when he died);he spent part of each afternoon at the local tavern,etc.,too.... I droped the subject with my dad (his father was a self-professed recovering alcoholic but my dad denies he was "that bad",too). His bottles are the oddest connection I have to the hiding.

My sister lives alone;when she was in rehab we found two laundry baskets full of full and empty bottles hidden all around her house...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After I got home from the hospital one time I was cleaning out the closet and found 3 empties under some towels on the first shelf. When I asked why these things were there I was told they were someone else's.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh, Angel - you reminded me of something AH would often say "IT's not mine!!" As if it could've been someone else's bottle of Seagrams and as if someone else would've stashed said bottle on our property. Jeeesh.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

my x was a binge drinker, who would get a motel room and drink out his binge. being the good codie that i was, i would always go find him and bring him home.

everytime he would hole up like this, he would put his whiskey bottle in the tub, cover it with a towel, and close the shower door or curtain, then close the bathroom door.

now, he was in a room, in a motel, all by himself......and still hiding the bottle from himself. so sad.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Found bottles

Let's see. I have found them...

*In the coat closet, on the inside of a dress coat
*In the toolbox
*In the glovebox (not too creative there)
*Under the bed
*Under the bushes in front of the house
*In the woodpile behind our old house

But the strangest of the strange was in an empty laundry detergent box.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

now, he was in a room, in a motel, all by himself......and still hiding the bottle from himself. so sad.
After I left my Wife, and shared an apartment with a total stranger, I still hid bottles in my room. Oh, the insanity !

I remember having panic attacks, wondering where I left bottles and who would find them. ("Did I throw that bottle out ?")

I'd have to take my trash out at odd times. Sometimes stuffing it with newspaper so the bottles wouldn't clank together.

And let's not even talk about the trunk of my car ! I got a flat tire once and a co-worker was riding with me.......

I thank God I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This thread reminded me of something. Actually, my exAH used to carry a small gym bag in the back seat of his car. If we ever needed to switch cars, or we drove my car,etc., or we went anywhere for any length of time (like over an hour),he ALWAYS took it with him and he always insisted he would carry it. The kids and I got so we referred to it (not to him!) as "his purse". I think we each assumed it had a bottle of something in it. I don't ever recall seeing him get anything out of it,etc over the several years he carried it around. What was in it...who knows? I never looked.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

glass....my xh did the same thing with taking out the trash....he would pad the bottles.....

and he would take out the trash every few hours.

chitty way to fill up the brain, huh?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My XAH was always rummaging through his tool box (those big tall ones) in the garage. Everytime I'd "catch" him, he'd get all agitated. I'd always check that tool box when he wasn't around, but never found anything. He must have had drugs taped in there somewhere.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by embraced2000 View Post
everytime he would hole up like this, he would put his whiskey bottle in the tub, cover it with a towel, and close the shower door or curtain, then close the bathroom door.

Amazing! This habit seems to continue in sobriety. My AH is in early recovery. He is now drinking bottles of Gatorade. Guess what? He appears to be stashing those too. I'm not going around looking for them... I just happened to notice one partially hidden. Weird.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by iwillriseabove View Post
But the strangest of the strange was in an empty laundry detergent box.
Ladies and gentlemen... I believe we have a winner!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

How about in the ceiling tiles (dropped ceiling) and fishing waders, even thow the empty laundry detergent box was a real good one too!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
My best was the "bottomless refrigerator" trick. I'd take a few cold ones out and replace them right away with the stash I kept under the toolbag in my truck. Kept my chewing tobacco in the toolbag. Told her I'd quit that after our son was born. The vodka I hid in bushes in the backyard.

I honestly believed she never knew about any of it. Pathetic, funny, sick little man.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
My best was the "bottomless refrigerator" trick. I'd take a few cold ones out and replace them right away with the stash I kept under the toolbag in my truck. Kept my chewing tobacco in the toolbag. Told her I'd quit that after our son was born. The vodka I hid in bushes in the backyard.

I honestly believed she never knew about any of it. Pathetic, funny, sick little man.

Close to my AH's MO....he keep the "on-deck circle" outside on the patio and would add to his refrigerated stash nightly (if necessary,would put them in the freezer to cool them down faster). Bought a 24 pk or more about every other day. I didn't pay attention to it much, except that it was taking up so much refrigerator space. The Christmas before he moved out,I considered buying him his "own" mini so we had room for the food (but thought better of it).

I got the impression that this was also a way he "controlled" his drinking and kept it to a certain number. Seems like the "magic number" was a 12-pk; drank 10 and had 2 to crack open the next day right after work (and give him time to pick up more if necessary). Seems like his "system" wasn't working when he moved out...might be part of the reason for the move...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Yep, the freezer works good when you're drinking so much that you can't wait for the fridge to cool them off. Doh!

I tried to control my drinking that way too. But when the beer didn't do the trick anymore I added vodka my routine. It was a rapid progression to my bottom from there.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank's Astro.....he's added wine (that I know of) and a few pain pills before his back surgery. It's nice to get some clarity in seeing the progression when I start to slip back into second-guess myself. (my mindgames "explaining away things" are a habit I'm working hard to break)
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I once found several empty whiskey bottles in the airhandler closet. (Scary because thats where I hid the $)

When I was moving out AH found a cut portion of our boxsprings and inside was a hidden empty bottle and a lighter