Losing pets.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Losing pets.

So this morning I woke up to find one of my treasured little parakeets dead. It was my darling little solid white one. I named her Betty White, hee hee. I know some people will laugh at me, but I am feeling extremely upset and depressed. Perhaps I treasure my pets a little too much, but it always hurts so bad to lose one of them. I think part of it is the fact that pets were always seen as disposible in our household growing up. As soon as we would get attached to them, off to the pound they went! My parents never saw them as members of the family. More like temporary decoration.

Sorry if this post seems silly, I just needed to vent It's a depressing start to the day. I wish I had a garden where I could bury her, but I am in an apartment.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your parakeet. You are not silly for feeling down, she was a family member. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am a 1 dog, 3 parakeet, 1 rabbit, 3 fish owner. Two of my parakeets are new to the family after losing 2 older (10 year old) parakeets this year.
You can never treasure a pet to much. They rely on you for everything. You must tell yourself that you gave your parakeet the best home & all the love she could have during her short life. So sorry for your loss! -Kim
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post is not silly at all, Holy Cow I usually have a mini breakdown when I have had to give a pet away.... you should see what happens when one dies on me.... Yep, even the fish.

I love birds and Im sorry you lost Betty White, I will say a prayer for you.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your parakeet. I agree that pets do become members of the family. I have two dogs and four cats and just lost a hamster about a month ago. The kids can't imagine a life without pets. We really do love them, don't we?

Can you maybe bury her in a park nearby?

(((Hugs)))
Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind posts. I don't feel so silly now. I am thinking I may bury her in a large flower pot I have that is currently empty and plant a beautiful plant in there. Maybe also put a little cross in the pot in her memory. There really isn't any place nearby where I can bury her as pretty much everything is covered in snow at the moment

Ok I have to admit I am laughing a little to myself as this sounds like something a 6 year old would do and I am 31 years old.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea well, I would do it too and Im 42, let me know when we are "suppose" to grow up enough not to love our pets.... cuz Im not there yet.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We lost a small parrot this past August and it tore my husband and I up. We were both in a horrible emotional state for weeks.

And now we're spending money hand over fist trying to make our old dog (well beyond his expected lifespan) comfortable in his twilight time he has remaining. When he goes, I will not go to work or answer the phone for at least two days.

When I got the news that my bird died, I was at work. It was all I could do to choke out the words "I'm going home". I called my husband to tell him the news, he was in such a state of shock that he nearly ran several red lights on his way home.

I am a longtime bird owner. I do understand the bond one can form with birds - budgies or macaws, doesn't matter. And a pet is a pet. They're in our hearts and when they go, they take a piece of our heart with them. Thankfully, they leave a piece of their own hearts behind to fill the void.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went today and adopted a new little parakeet. She is almost entirely yellow. Very pretty. I named her Daisy. She's adjusting to her new home. It's nice to have a new bright little spirit in my home to help cope with losing the other. To all the other animal lovers here, thank you for your support and understanding and I am so glad there are so many of us!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GingerM so sorry to hear about your dog and the loss of your bird. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay View Post
Your post is not silly at all, Holy Cow I usually have a mini breakdown when I have had to give a pet away.... you should see what happens when one dies on me.... Yep, even the fish.

I love birds and Im sorry you lost Betty White, I will say a prayer for you.
I am the same way with my fish! I don't care what anyone says, they have little personalities and habits just like humans and you can become very attached to them.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Red face

Sorry for your loss Gemeni31. I just lost a pet a few days ago too and I am grieving. I put him wrapped in a plastic bag in the freezer until I can deal with him. I used to bury my iguanas but can't in the winter so I put them in Lake Michigan. I say a little good bye when I do that. They are always precious to me dead or alive. The memories are sweet.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think we get so strongly attached to our pets because we have so much trouble attaching to people. My dogs are my life. My old dog died in August and I was completely useless for a couple of days and I still can't talk about it without crying, like now! I gave her all the loving and good care and attention I should have gotten as a child but didnt' get. Her box of ashes is still sitting on the mantel and I just can't let go of her yet even though I still have the other dog and already got a second. He's doing his level best to brighten up my spirits, and those of the other dog who is also still depressed over losing the old one.

It's good you got another bird, one that doesnt' look like the first one. Each pet deserves to be loved for itself and not just used as a replacement for the one that died.

My mother did the same thing as your parents, not allowing us to get attached to pets without getting rid of them. It's like she didn't want any competition for our love even though she never ever got my love, having none to give to me herself. All I had in that family was the dogs and they always were taken from me. Must be a common characteristic of ACOAs. kids of alkies raised with no love from parents turn all their love to their pets.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Must be a common characteristic of ACOAs. kids of alkies raised with no love from parents turn all their love to their pets.
I think there is a lot of truth in that. When I was in touch with my mother she used to mock me for the loving way I treated my pets. Like there was something wrong with me. I need to still work on blocking out her voice in my head about matters like that.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Believer

I am so sorry for your loss of Betty White. There is a website called In the Memory of Pets. I found so much solace there when I lost my beloved dog Abby. As a Christian Counselor, I deal with grief issues alot and I find the death of pets affect people as much or more than the deaths of other people. In time all we remember are the good memories, and the joy they brought to our lives. Our pets are gifts from God, and always treasured in our hearts. My condolences to you and may God soon entrust you with another one of His creatures to brighten your life 1
Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Meg

I am so sorry I missed this post T. Please know that I know what you are going through and it is not silly at all. I hope you are feeling better. How is Daisy adapting?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
New Father Struggling

pets

Pets, don’t get me started on pets. My cat Hogan was my best friend he was 5 years old and he got really sick and the vet said that there wasn’t anything we could do so I took him home to die. He was going down hill fast and on his last day he couldn’t even walk but when I would call his name he would just flick his little tail. I was trying to stay awake with him so he wouldn’t die alone but he wouldn’t have it. I finally kissed him and told him I loved him and went to bed at five am with him tucked in a clothes basket with his favorite blanket. When I told him I loved him he flicked his tail again and meowed a little bit. I went to bed and fell asleep, when I woke up a few hours later our dog Jake was sleeping next to him, something he never did, he already knew. God I miss Hogan what a cool friend he was. He never liked to see me upset or anything he was so unselfish. Makes you wish people were the same way. I am sorry for your loss of Betty White.

Jason
Old 01-07-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Pets play such an important role in people's lives, and I am so sorry that you lost one of yours. I too am very emotional when it comes to losing fish, hamsters, gerbils, etc...every little soul means so much. My puppy Lily and I will say a prayer for you and Betty White tonight :0) Hugs!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi....Im sorry to hear about ur precious bird....

I too lost a Cockateil not too long ago and
came here to SR to share how i was feeling....

People here were absolutely amazing, conciderate
and caring.....

Which made going thru the grieving process less
painful....

I would not have known about the Rainbow Bridge
where our precious animals go when they pass away
if i would not have come here to SR and share.

Its an awesome place that our pets go and wait for us...

One day when we finally get up there our eyes will meet
and emmediately our pet will recognize us and we run
to meet together .....what a joyful time to will be to
be reunited with our wonderful loving pets.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

For me, pets are actually better than some of my family.
Their love is unconditional, unlike some family who is hardly able to communicate and much less show emotion. Although animals cant talk they seem to know things that people dont and they have their own way of communicating. I think these things make pets our best friends no matter what. Sorry for your loss.

Irish Father that brought tears to my eyes.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IRISH FATHER View Post
Pets, don’t get me started on pets. My cat Hogan was my best friend he was 5 years old and he got really sick and the vet said that there wasn’t anything we could do so I took him home to die. He was going down hill fast and on his last day he couldn’t even walk but when I would call his name he would just flick his little tail. I was trying to stay awake with him so he wouldn’t die alone but he wouldn’t have it. I finally kissed him and told him I loved him and went to bed at five am with him tucked in a clothes basket with his favorite blanket. When I told him I loved him he flicked his tail again and meowed a little bit. I went to bed and fell asleep, when I woke up a few hours later our dog Jake was sleeping next to him, something he never did, he already knew. God I miss Hogan what a cool friend he was. He never liked to see me upset or anything he was so unselfish. Makes you wish people were the same way. I am sorry for your loss of Betty White.

Jason
So sorry to hear about Hogan. That's such a cool name for a cat!