Notices

oxycontin addiction

Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy oxycontin addiction

hello everyone. I need advice badly. In 95 i succesfully recovered from pain relievers. It only lasted 3 months. I do have chronic pain and any pain reliever makes me loopy and tired accept oxycontin. I chew them, and if i take them whole, im loopy and tired too. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, epstein barr virus, awful pelvic adhesions , tendonitis, and bursitis, so pain is my best friend. I need to know, what kind of doctor to see to help me off these oxy's. I wont do rehab. I saw an osteopath before, but cant find him now. Can any doctor assist me? Are there such things as addictionologists? i have tried methadone and for 3 days i didnt use, but then they stopped working. is it true a doctor can only prescribe methadone if it is written for pain only? thankyou in advance for any advice.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Hi Lisa,

Sorry this reply took so long. As you are fully aware, oxy is a double-edged sword. It works, and then it works too good. You wrote that you would not do rehab, but what about detox? in conjunction with an addictionologist, detox from oxy may dramatically change your life and lifestyle. By having a good doctor involved in the entire process, alternative medications or therapies for your pain can be prescribed.

Do know that you are not alone. And that there are solutions to what you are going through. Let me know about your thoughts regarding detox, and in the meantime use these boards as support for what you are going through.

Hang in there, we're with you...
Old 03-26-2003, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy thankyou jon

jon, thankyou so much for responding. I think detox would be great, but one catch, hubby told me if i use one more time he is out of here and we are not doing well at all. He says i dont want to do anything, i dont want to socialize, his friends tell him that he lies and that he cant be married because they have never met me..is he living uder a rock? doesnt he see all these behaviors are signs of addiction? <geez> i have to figure out how i will approach him with all this because im at my whits end..its weird, i wouldnt use at all but i have to because it makes me feel just NORMAL. Will i ever feel normal and happy again with out drugs? When the brain is exposed to a euphoria that is not worldly,,nothing makes us happy...so i know it takes time to rebuild our own natural endorphins again via drug free. but i want to be better yesterday. I take the damn things to feel happy, when im sad, when im scared, when idont want to cry, etc,,,,I HATE ADDICTION, i would rather loose a leg.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you really want your life back,you will do whatever it takes.If your husband can't or won't support you in your recovery you will have to deal with that.It takes what it takes.

When I hit rock bottom I walked away from the only life I knew.I left with nothing but a suitcase full of clothes.That sounds gutsy as hell,but the truth is I had no choice.I landed in the hospital,unable to care for myself,and hardly able to comprehend what was going on.I was thirty pounds underweight,and didn't even know it.It doesn't have to get that bad for you.

Help is available,and we are here for you.But the first move is up to you.No one can do that for you.It takes work,but it is worth it.
You are worth it.

phoenix
Old 03-29-2003, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I think I can help...

Gracie,
Although I have only been on this site for about a month and I am just recently (1 week) recovering from OC addiction...I may be able to help u.
I have to talked to many professionals and have read everything I can get my hands on about Oxy, it's gripping addictive qualities and what it takes to get off of them...I am somewhat of a street expert..I am not at all proud of it..but I fealt like the only chance I had of beating them was to understand them and how they affect you...So here goes...
Oxy is an opiate which has a great affect on your mind and body.
It affects the production of certain stabilizing chemicals in your body...such as seratonin and endorphines...which are needed by your body to maintain a good emotional and physical balance.
After taking them for awhile they replace the production of these and other chemicals. So when you stop taking OC, your body needs to start producing the chemicals again...Only one problem...YOUR BODY DOESN'T KNOW IT HAS TO PRODUCE THEM AGAIN AND IT DOESN'T START PRODUCING THEM AGAIN UNTILL IT REALIZES THAT THEY ARE MISSING!
That is the onset of withdrawals...and I can tell you from experience that they are the most horrifying and painful form of torture that I have EVER endured...
That said...never just STOP taking them...there are a couple of different ways to beat them...talk to your doctor, he will help you..if you don't have one then call the Centers for Subtance Abuse (phone bk) and they will put you in contact with someone to help you.
There is a newly approved drug called "Boprenorphine" which is supposedly the new drug of choice in medically supervised detoxification...ask about it...
I hope this has helped you...and please remember that I AM NOT a doctor...just speaking from experience and knowledge I've gaind from research...etc...
best of luck to you..
Old 03-29-2003, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

You have chronic pain?

This web sit will help you.

www.braintalk.org

check out Chronic Pain
Old 04-17-2003, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

I UNDERSTAND COMPLETLY

I UNDERSTAND SO MUCH WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. I MYSELF SUFFER FROM LOTS OF BACK PAIN. I HAD SURGERY IN 95 AND NOW I HAVE DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE, ALSO I HAVE A DISC THAT IS PROTRUDING AGAIN, SO PAIN IS GREAT. I AM LIKE YOU I ALSO CHEW THESE PILLS, AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT NORMAL IS ANYMORE. I AM IN THE SAME PROCESS OF TRYING TO FIND HELP WITHOUT IT COMING BETWEEN MY NORMAL LIFE. MY JOB IS GREAT AND SO ARE MY CHILDREN AND HUSBAND. PLEASE KEEP WRITING ME AND MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER. I WANT TO DESPERATELY GET OFF THESE PILLS. I TAKE 3 80 MG A DAY. WHAT DO YOU TAKE? MAYBE WE CAN SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND GET OFF THESE PILLS. IF YOU HUSBAND DOES NOT SUPPORT YOU, THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION. YOU NEED HIS SUPPORT BADLY. I HOPE WE CAN BOTH BEAT THIS DISEASE.

RMC
Old 04-17-2003, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

You CAN do this!

Dear Gracie and Bird,
I have been away from the site for awhile and only checked in bcuz I got an email alert from your threads...I won't go into the details of why I have been away but I will tell you that it is NOT due to relapse...just some personal stuff....
In any case I wanted to tell you guys that although it is EXTREMELY difficult to walk away from the OC's...it is NOT impossible....and you CAN do it..I won't lie and say that the withdrawals are fun bcuz they really can suck depending on how long and what doseage your body is used to...
I would just like to say that it's been a little over 3 weeks for me and in the beginning it was very rough...but I just tried to take it one hour at a time....and so far I am ok....
It takes a long time to begin to feel "normal" again...I still don't.
I haven't regained my person or personality yet but I can feel in my heart that the real "me" is on the verge of breaking out...Kind of like you have to learn to be your person all over again but you know who you "were" so it's not unfamiliar....
I wish you both the best of luck...these little drops of the devil nearly took my life away....and almost convinced me to do the same...I hope that I have given you some hope...you CAN do it!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

methedone another way

If you have a problem with oxt's or opiates you can goto a Methadone clinic. If you UA dirty they will put you on a regiment on methadone. then slowly bring you down off of that. REMEMBER methadone is addictive too! So you must go into it with a mind set of getting off of that too. I have been on methadone for 1 month. It got me of a $200 a day heroin habit. have benn clean for a month.

Good luck believe in yourself!!
bri
Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Angry BIRDIEBIRD!

BIRDIEBIRD,,,email me! [email protected],,i want to talk to you privately
Old 05-14-2003, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

methedone another way

I have been on methadone for somewhere around 20 + years...Being clean for only 3 years during that time. I know people trash the meth clinics alot. But we are addicts, and without the structure involved in these clinics, where would we be?? My husband has detoxed about 3 years ago. He has never relapsed but only picked up on his drinking since then. I need to try to help him, but first have to take care of myself. I am now down to 5mg. and hope to be off some time this summer. I know that I have to try and forgive myself for all of the pain that I caused my parents and kids.....that's a whole other story.