Notices

feeling strange on halloween

Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clean and Fabulous

feeling strange on halloween

So this is my first halloween clean. This used to be a great day for an excuse to get high, more "excessively" than normal. I used to love this holiday for that reason, and also cause I dig fall and all the spooky, scary stuff.
I am just feeling kinda weird cause I am doing something different. It's a god thing goin' on cause one of my closest friends is celebrating a year clean tonight and instead of being out, getting high, I get to celebrate life and recovery with my wonderful family in NA. We're wearing our costumes to a meeting and doing something fun afterwards. I love that about the fellowship of NA. We have a lot of fun, life is still worth living, maybe now more than ever.
I love being clean, and am overwhelmingly grateful for this process of recovery though the 12 steps ad program of NA.
But it still feels strange.
I keep remembering that most people can get down on holidays cause they walk away and back into normal life. I could never do that. As far as my using was concerned, everyday was a holiday, an excuse to get high.
I just wanted to share this with all y'all fabulous recovering addicts.
Happy Halloween and cheers to a new, wonderful way to celebrate by staying clean and having fun with our fellow addicts in NA.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Hiya damie. yeah hollidays make alot of addicts kinda squirlly. For me it's better this year than it was last year, but holloween, mardi gras and new years were my favorite hollidays to get ****** up. You can probably relate to this better than most, every year for these 3 hollidays, the rave scene in New Orleans would be kicking, internationally famous DJ's playing at different parties around the city, last year my favorite DJ in the world (adam freeland) was playing this party in new orleans and I was tempted to go, but i had to look at it logically...when had I ever been to a party and not gotten loaded???? NEVER HAPPENED! so I skipped the festivities and downloaded a live set, it passed and I am happy I didn't go.

Today I can have just as much fun in NA as I used to out there, even more as a matter of fact. For example, we had a NA function for Mardi Gras last year and I went in full drag....funny funny stuff, and I actually remember it.

Keep on living AND ENJOYING life without the use of drugs...have FUN tonight, you deserve it!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any first. holiday/event/new job/ relationship/ major purchase etc. seems impossible to deal with.....

until we get through to the other side.

Use your support network, your sponsor, read the literature and this time next year you'll be giving someone else suggestions about getting through it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

The only way to get through it is to do what is suggested in the program of Narcotics Anonymous, reading, going to a NA function such as a meeting, talking about it what you are doing, maybe even process it through the steps. We have the tools that are given to us we just need to apply them! Keep up the faith.

Love and Respect

Vic
Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

I'm glad to be clean on Halloween. I had one of my most frightening experiences on drugs one Halloween. I had bad acid trip. I felt like a had nervous breakdown and was out of sorts for days. I had flashbacks from that trip for months. So, here's to clean holidays!