View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
disorderlydamie
Clean and Fabulous

feeling strange on halloween

So this is my first halloween clean. This used to be a great day for an excuse to get high, more "excessively" than normal. I used to love this holiday for that reason, and also cause I dig fall and all the spooky, scary stuff.
I am just feeling kinda weird cause I am doing something different. It's a god thing goin' on cause one of my closest friends is celebrating a year clean tonight and instead of being out, getting high, I get to celebrate life and recovery with my wonderful family in NA. We're wearing our costumes to a meeting and doing something fun afterwards. I love that about the fellowship of NA. We have a lot of fun, life is still worth living, maybe now more than ever.
I love being clean, and am overwhelmingly grateful for this process of recovery though the 12 steps ad program of NA.
But it still feels strange.
I keep remembering that most people can get down on holidays cause they walk away and back into normal life. I could never do that. As far as my using was concerned, everyday was a holiday, an excuse to get high.
I just wanted to share this with all y'all fabulous recovering addicts.
Happy Halloween and cheers to a new, wonderful way to celebrate by staying clean and having fun with our fellow addicts in NA.