Notices

about residential rehabilitation

Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

about residential rehabilitation

hi everyone,

hope everyone is well.. im not sure if this is the right place to post this question ...

for all who remember me .. i have a brother who was addicted to drugs...we found out it was heroin...as we speak/type he is at home doing detox ..we are alll so very very happy and proud of him...

we are now in the position where we have to speak to him about going to residential rehabilitation...he seems to have a form of fear of being locked away in a fishtank for months on end..this is not so..

this is where my question enters....can u guys please give me some information about as to why drug addicts need to have this form of rehabilitation and why it is for a minimum of 3 months...just so that i can print it out and show him so he can read it for himself...

he has been to see a psychiatrist and even the gp told him that residential rehab is like a holiday away but the only difference is that everyone is in the same boat, and its like going to school. you go to classes to educate yourself as to why and how about drugs...

any help is so appreciated...thanks everyone....

peace be with you all!

glamachic
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GLAMACHIC
...even the gp told him that residential rehab is like a holiday away but the only difference is that everyone is in the same boat, and its like going to school. you go to classes to educate yourself as to why and how about drugs...
Hey, GLAMACHIC. Thanks for the great news! I agree with what the gp says above!

Here in the States, treatment can be for 28 days or longer depending on the program. They are really individual and different here and I have no idea how the system in Australia works, unfortunately.

I do know that it is an excellent way to start a clean and sober life. I also know plenty of people that got and STAYED clean and sober by just going to NA and/or AA meetings and really working an honest program of recovery. There is no right way, IMO, so it is a good idea to find a way that will work best for the individual. If he is really ready and motivated, no matter what program he choses, he will be successful. Meaning, I believe it is more about the person's willingness than it is about the particular program of recovery s/he chooses.

I also recommend you post this in the Naranon forum here at SR. People over there may have some good input as well. Here's the link -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nar-anon/

Good luck and great to see you again!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've got a friend who's been in and out of rehabs, and has been having a rough go of it--we're hoping he'll stay the whole 28 days this time to really give it a shot. Another guy I know did that, did outpaitent, and got into a halfway house type situation, and he's a pretty intelligent guy. I did it strictly by AA, but hey, it takes what it takes.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok in australia the minimum stay in a rehab facility is 3 months.

to go to rehab you must have detoxed whether it be at hospital or at home with 24 hour supervision.

after rehab they send u out into the 'realworld'.

i have been hearing this stuff about halfway houses and 3/4 houses here on the forums. what are they? i wonder if we have something like that here in australia, we might but we might call them a different name.

can u please explain these ?

thanks guys