Notices

Recommendation for PTSD Books

Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recommendation for PTSD Books

I saw the massive list of recommended books, but I was wondering if anyone would like to personally recommend a book. I am a first year doctoral student (for clinical psych) who has a strong interest in PTSD and other anxiety disorders. Ideally it would be a book dealing with adolescence, but I am open to all ages.

I read Trauma & Recovery a few months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyhow, suggestions would be appreciated!

tim

ps. It doesn't have to be a technical book, but I'd prefer an in-depth read.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a PTSD sufferer I wouldn't mind seeing such a list myself. Someone will hopefully be by soon and can help us out.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Basset (Also a tape series with a workbook) This is very helpful for PTSD and Panic attacks.

These are good for sexual abuse survivors.

The Courage to Heal. Bass, Ellen and Laura Davis. Harper & Row, 1988. An immensely popular book for survivors of childhood sexual abuse

Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Was Sexually Abused as a Child. Davis, Laura. HarperPerennial, 1991.

This one is good.

I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors. Matsakis, Aphrodite. New Harbinger Publications, 1992.
I Can't Get Over It was written to guide survivors of crime, acidents, rape, family violence, and sexual abuse through the process of recovering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Now in an updated edition, this guide includes new information on suicide, traumatic memories, depression, guilt, and the new EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) technique.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive
by Dave Pelzer

The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family -- by Dave Pelzer

A Man Named Dave: A Story of Triumph and Forgiveness by David J. Pelzer, Dave Pelzer

Help Yourself: Finding Hope, Courage, and Happiness by David J. Pelzer, Dave Pelzer

The Privilege of Youth: A Teenager's Story of Longing for Acceptance and Friendship by Dave Pelzer

Old 09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Overcoming Traumatic Stress: A Self-Help Guide to Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
by Claudia Herbert , Ann Wetmore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

A great workbook with practical, no-nonsense actions that no only helps understand PTSD, it also helps overcome it. Highly recommended.

Surviving Childhood Sexual Abuse: Practical Self-Help for Adults Who Were Sexually Abused As Children
by Carolyn Ainscough, Kay Toon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Every bit as good as the first book, but specific to sexual trauma in children. Lacks the workbook approach, but is still excellent. Highly recommended.

Mike :-)
Old 09-08-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions!

-pedagogue