Notices

Social Anxiety help?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social Anxiety help?

I'm going thru another try at not drinking and also quit Ativan that was prescribed for social anxiety. I think half the time I start drinking it's for social events where my anxiety gets overwhelming. Has anyone found any over the counter meds to help? Valerian and Passion Flower has been recommended but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I haven't tried any OTC's, only a prescription. What helps me is events where nobody is drinking. Sober events, church events, charity events. They are definitely not boring!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Small events are ok, big events overwhelm me, especially when I do not know a lot of people in the crowd. I realize that I am the only one not talking to someone and then I get upset and leave. I don't do small talk at all, I end up stuttering or saying something foolish in my anxiety.

I used to sing with a large, amateur chorus. I loved the singing but the 20 minute break was agony. I knew some folks who were, but not close friends. I found myself alone as usual so I would go out side and pretend to return calls on my cell phone.

Drinking was a crutch as well. Didn't help much but I am sure I was a bit more yappy. Likely made a huge fool of myself.

Pathetic.

My shrink is trying some anti anxiety meds to go along with anti-depressants. So far they work too well and I spend the day fatigued and in a fog.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I've studied phytopharmacology quite extensively in college and by myself (haha, yes not always in the "right way"). And my main psych issue is also anxiety, although mine does not manifest so much as social anxiety, much more a general doomsday perspective and existential angst that I am prone to. I have also preferred to be unmedicated so far, but do love herbs.

Valerian works well for many people and it does not have real adverse effects or interactions with other drugs (at the right dosing of course). I use it sometimes and like the effect. Another one I like is Lemon Balm, and mix it with Chamomille in a tea. Both of these have calming effects and the combo is quite delicious in my opinion. Another classic herbal tranquilizer is Hop, but I find it makes me sleepy so I don't like it during the day.

If you are going to experiment with herbs and don't have a background for it, I would recommend talking to a doctor or a pharmacist first, especially in case you are taking any kind of medication, as there might be interactions.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're really worried about this Zeppo, your Dr should be your next step.

D
Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're only a couple or three weeks sober, right?

Give it some time. Anxiety is high in early sobriety.

In the meantime, there are herbal teas like Celestial Seasonings SleepyTime Wellness, which has Chamomile and Valerian in a very low dose. You might also try Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer Tea which has Lemon Grass, Chamomile, Eleuthero, and other calming ingredients. They both work well for me.

I agree though, if you are taking any other medications, check with your doctor about interactions - even though both teas are low dose herbs.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zeppo, my response was certainly not helpful for you, sorry. I am a bit self-absorbed today.

The other posters are right, anxiety can be a part of sobriety, even in later stages. The mind, unclouded from alcohol, can begin to realize there are other issues at work. You have lost your security blanket too, things are now raw and open.

Ask any soldier, it is better to fight an enemy is you can see them. So check with a doc, try some of the remedies suggested and remember, what works for someone may not work for you. Finding a good "cure" for anxiety may take some trial and error.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety is an issue for me as well that I would like to find a natural solution to. Meds put my family into zombie mode, which is why I haven't asked my doctor for them. Headed to the good food store after work; maybe they can recommend something for sleep as well, since I haven't slept without a drink in a long time. If u need anything or want to talk hit me up; you're not alone. So many of us struggle with this