Notices

Prazosin

Old 08-02-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prazosin

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this here and in the insomnia/nightmares folder because I wasn't sure if it's more an insomnia issue or a PTSD issue. Just wondering if anyone has been on Prazosin for nightmares related to PTSD. It's supposed to block some of the effects of adrenaline, reduce nightmares, and help with sleep.

I've been on it a few weeks now and have had way more, way more vivid nightmares than I have in a long time! It could be coincidence, but I don't have anything else going on that I can think of that would cause this. Usually now my nightmares are more just waking up feeling stressed, out of breath, etc. but not necessarily remembering what I was dreaming about. But since the prazosin they've been super intense, vivid, and I can remember them exactly when I wake up.

I've been doing some research and can't find anything about it causing nightmares though. Only that it's supposed to stop them. So I'm hoping to find someone who has some experience with it or knowledge about it. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My doctor switched me to Prozasin about a month and a half ago from Clonodine in an attempt to better control the nightmares, night terrors, anxiety, and anger outbursts (related to PTSD) that were increasing significantly.

I have already had to have him increase the dose as the dose was too low to control my pre-existing hypertension problem. I have really not noticed much of a change with the Prozasin except possibly less anxiety during the day as well as no major anger out bursts over nothing like I was having before. I still have nightmares but have not had any nigh terrors since starting the Prozasin but nightmares have always been a part of my life so even if it does not control them I can accept that. Yes, they can be quite vivid in detail even on the Prozasin.

I would suggest you discuss what is going on with your doctor and see if he/she feels that an increase in the dose might be helpful or if the addition of a complimentary med might help.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks nandm. Unfortunately due to financial issues it's going to be a while until I can see my dr again. In the meantime I'm trying to do as much research as possible on my own. She gave me permission to try an increased dose if I didn't think the dose she started me at was working. I tried that a couple nights but now I'm terrified to take it at all because overall the problem is getting way worse. It hasn't always correlated that the nights I took more the nightmares were worse, but definitely since I've been on the prazosin the problem as a whole has been increasing big time.

The biggest problem for me is that the nightmares make me subconsciously afraid to go to sleep. I used to have horrible flashbacks and panic attacks during the day (almost 24/7 when I was at my worst), but through meds and a lot of work learning coping skills I've managed to minimize that. But once I'm asleep it's out of my control, so my body basically refuses to sleep. The resulting exhaustion makes everything A LOT harder to deal with so I'm backsliding in a lot of areas of life. So I wish I could say I'm ok with the nightmares still happening, but I'm really desperate to find something that can at least calm me enough that I can get some sleep. I think if I could get some regular sleep the issue as a whole wouldn't be as bad.

Sorry, tangent...lol Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is not unusual for side effects to be unusually pronounced when first taking prazosin. You have only been on it a few weeks, usually 4-6 weeks is needed to establish efficacy. Don't discontinue taking this med, although I understand it is causing you some anxiety. It is causing some changes in the way blood flows through your circulatory system and brain.....not unusual for vivid dreaming to occur. It should subside.

This is a very safe medication; we even give it to children with great success.

If you really feel that concerned, please call your doctor or try too see him. Try to keep it up, however, you should have good results.

A calming bedtime routine (warm bath, candles, etc.) might help you relax and feel less anxiety.

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
It is not unusual for side effects to be unusually pronounced when first taking prazosin. You have only been on it a few weeks, usually 4-6 weeks is needed to establish efficacy. Don't discontinue taking this med, although I understand it is causing you some anxiety. It is causing some changes in the way blood flows through your circulatory system and brain.....not unusual for vivid dreaming to occur. It should subside.

This is a very safe medication; we even give it to children with great success.

If you really feel that concerned, please call your doctor or try too see him. Try to keep it up, however, you should have good results.

A calming bedtime routine (warm bath, candles, etc.) might help you relax and feel less anxiety.

Let us know how you are doing.
Not trying to be argumentative, just want to make sure I understand... If this is supposed to help me calm down, sleep, and not have nightmares, is it really not a bad sign that it seems to be causing anxiety and nightmares?

I will probably call my doctor on Monday and see if she'll talk to me over the phone without an appointment.

I do all the bedtime routine stuff and get myself to the point where I feel like there's no way I could possibly stay awake any longer...but as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake again. The only "routine" i've found that works at all is to do something active like cleaning until I'm so tired I can't think straight and then I just fall asleep wherever I am. Obviously that's not really a long-term solution.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, just want to make sure I understand... If this is supposed to help me calm down, sleep, and not have nightmares, is it really not a bad sign that it seems to be causing anxiety and nightmares?

I will probably call my doctor on Monday and see if she'll talk to me over the phone without an appointment.

I do all the bedtime routine stuff and get myself to the point where I feel like there's no way I could possibly stay awake any longer...but as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake again. The only "routine" i've found that works at all is to do something active like cleaning until I'm so tired I can't think straight and then I just fall asleep wherever I am. Obviously that's not really a long-term solution.
Not argumentative at all.....quite the contrary! You are obviously concerned and rightly so. I am simply explaining that sometimes prazosin can cause anxiety in the beginning (like many medications) and that this is usually normal. Vivid dreaming can also occur when first commencing use. That said, it is important that you speak with your doctor. Ultimately only you can determine what medications you are comfortable taking. I am merely suggesting that perhaps you may not have given the med enough time to work.
Hope everything works out.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not argumentative at all.....quite the contrary! You are obviously concerned and rightly so. I am simply explaining that sometimes prazosin can cause anxiety in the beginning (like many medications) and that this is usually normal. Vivid dreaming can also occur when first commencing use. That said, it is important that you speak with your doctor. Ultimately only you can determine what medications you are comfortable taking. I am merely suggesting that perhaps you may not have given the med enough time to work.
Hope everything works out.
Thanks. I took half a dose tonight, and I'll call my dr tomorrow. I really appreciate the insight. It's so scary to mess with this stuff, especially when it comes to sleep since it's so out of my control!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post
Thanks. I took half a dose tonight, and I'll call my dr tomorrow. I really appreciate the insight. It's so scary to mess with this stuff, especially when it comes to sleep since it's so out of my control!
No problem. Sleep is SO important, yes? It seems as if the quality of our sleep affects so many other areas of our lives. Good luck with Dr. and let us know how everything turns out.

B
Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No problem. Sleep is SO important, yes? It seems as if the quality of our sleep affects so many other areas of our lives. Good luck with Dr. and let us know how everything turns out.

B
Yes my current lack of sleep is making me insane! And unfortunately I don't think my sponsor gets that so it's causing issues with her too. I can only manage a few hours of sleep at a time and generally odd hours. I know I do way better when on a good sleep routine, but that's hard to come by for me. I slept about 5 hours last night and that helped a lot! I wasn't able to get a hold of my dr today but I'll keep trying.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thinking of you riverbird. I have nothing useful to add as I'm not familiar with this medication, but I understand totally the difficulties that night terrors, nightmares and insomnia bring.

My doctor wouldn't prescribe anything for the insomnia but wanted to put me back on anti depressants which I am reluctant to do as I don't feel I'm depressed.

Keep sharing and I hope you see the effects of the medication soon.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found a meditation online that's supposed to work with particular brain waves to help you fall asleep and sleep well. I don't really "get" the science behind it, or know if there is any real science behind it, but I tried it and slept for 7 hours with no nightmares! Woohoo! Last night my internet wasn't working very well so I had a horrible night of sleeping in 2 hour blocks with awful nightmares in the midst of it. Ya win some, ya lose some I guess.

Still working on getting a hold of my doctor. I might try the emergency number tomorrow if I still can't get a call back. (Very frustrating place, but it's free unless I miss appointments so I can't complain!).