Notices

Anxiety and Work

Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and Work

Wondering if anyone else can relate to having terrible anxiety before going to work?

Not sure if most of this can be attributed to binge drinking/hangover anxiety, but I am experiencing pretty debilitating anxiety on most days that I work. It subsides after a few hours of being there, but about an hour or so before I have to go in I am stuck with this overwhelming sense of dread and avoidance--that really awful anxiety stomach ache right in the gut. I am trying to pinpoint certain triggers and WHY I am feeling the way I do, but the anxiety cloud still lingers.

Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what helps you?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well what kind of work do you do?

In my last job I provided presale and onsite software support for large customized servers in data centers. Mostly boring, combined with periods of intense problem solving and long hours when stuff happened. And a lot of pressure when trying to close big deals.

I found that drinking made my anxiety a lot worse, even just my usual 3-4 beers or glasses of wine every night. I basically hated my job anyway, after many years in IT, and that was also a big part of it. And why I drank. The best move I made was retiring early. It took the pressure off and facilitated my recovery efforts. A more meaningful job would have also done the trick.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely!! That is the way i felt yesterday and i allowed it to make me stay home. Then my anxiety worsened and depression set in. I tried to take care of myself last night and am going to work today even though I am not feeling well. I am giving it a shot anyway. Hang n there
Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Drinking seemed to amplify any major issue for me, definitely anxiety and stress.

Even sober though, there are nights when I lie awake doing my work in my head and "awfulizing" about what is yet to be, or not to be. Most of the time my fears are unfounded.

What helps me is AA meetings, prayer, and the presence of other people. Talking to others helps me remember that I'm never alone and don't have to do life by myself.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

I experience this myself. Since I'm trying SOOO hard to not go to work with a buzz (just to calm my heart) my anxiety is going into overdrive. Plus! I'm scared to have an anxiety attack because I've had those more than once there. I have to go into the bathroom to catch my breathe with my head between my legs. My boss knows I suffer from anxiety, and I always have, but she has no idea there is much more to it than not being able to breathe.

I work in a heavily busy environment so constantly being busy does help with my anxiety but sometimes my hands and voice shake when I'm talking to customers.

On my breaks, I step outside in the fresh air and call my sponsor. There are temptations everywhere I could walk though on those breaks. I don't work in a bar (that would be dumb) but I work in a coffee shop and I barely have one cup of coffee a day. I mainly drink water and caffeine free tea. That definitely helps!

What is it you do?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to be one of those people that would sleep in until the last move, spring out of bed and rush to shower get dressed and run to work. And then I would suffer from anxiety. My doctor told me that when the body wakes up in that manner, it releases alot of adrenaline and that can cause anxiety.

I now wake up earlier and try to lounge a bit and move slower. It seems to help for me.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes. I am a law student and I get anxiety about my work all the time. It's not just before I start work, it's in all aspects of my work, all day long: public speaking, writing (I get horrible anxiety about writing, no matter how much I love it), social anxiety for interacting with peers and professors, even email anxiety. (I'm also diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder and being treated for these.)

Drinking does make it worse, a lot worse, which is why I quit. But the truth is, I'm doing pretty well in my work. I'm trying my best to channel my anxiety into high quality productivity and performance. It often does make me shut down if it gets bad enough, but I try not to let it get to that level.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
Yes. I am a law student and I get anxiety about my work all the time. It's not just before I start work, it's in all aspects of my work, all day long: public speaking, writing (I get horrible anxiety about writing, no matter how much I love it), social anxiety for interacting with peers and professors, even email anxiety. (I'm also diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder and being treated for these.)

Drinking does make it worse, a lot worse, which is why I quit. But the truth is, I'm doing pretty well in my work. I'm trying my best to channel my anxiety into high quality productivity and performance. It often does make me shut down if it gets bad enough, but I try not to let it get to that level.
I admire you, Clementina.

I went through college, law school and grad law school (tax) drinking every night.

The stress of law school is good preparation for the practice of law.

I had anxiety issues which were tough for many years, but now I am comfortable in pretty much every personal and professional situation.

I am also glad that you are getting help for your GAD - it is frequently quite treatable.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There may be a biophysical aspect to the anxiety you are experiencing... it could be short term withdrawal - I was able to fight through it for years, but in truth there were a lot of "sick days" mixed in. Facts is, if I had just given in and taken a drink in the morning, it would have "quieted my nerves"... but I couldn't do that because I had decided that when I started taking an AM drink I would "officially" be alcoholic.

Course, I WAS alcoholic despite my denial, and I just motored through short term anxiety brought on my alcohol withdrawal, not enjoying it one bit. It usually subsided by noon or 1, and so I went on that way for years because I didn't want to stop drinking. More acute stressful moments caused me panic attacks too, which got to a point where I thought I was going crazy. There were times I sat in my car in the driveway in the morning, thought about work and just shut the car down. I just couldn't do it. Turns out I was just sick with alcoholism.

So I guess my two cents is don't short change the ability of alcohol to create your anxiety. Of course I don't know you so there could be other factors too. I just think it helps to know that there are very real, chemical reasons why we "feel", and when we adjust what affects that chemistry (what we process through our bodies - for me the adjustment was abstinence from alcohol) our bodies are allowed to recover and find equilibrium again.

It was hard work but worth it. Hang in there