Notices

Lexapro vs. Zoloft opinions please

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lexapro vs. Zoloft opinions please

**No medical advice per the rules***

Just wondering if anyone has taken both and what their thoughts are. I was on Zoloft for 3 years but I do not feel that its doing anything so I am going to switch to Lexapro. The dr. suggested it was good for my anxiety. Also he says that the tapering of zoloft is not bad. I had read a lot online where people say they had the worst feelings switching meds. I really do not have that many reactions to meds nor do i notice them. I think Zoloft helped for a while but know it doesn't seem to do much. I am hoping lexapro can help take the edge off. My anxiety has gone down without drinking.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been on Lexapro for a number of years now. Have had the dose increased a couple of times. It did help for a long time, and I didn't have too many of the bad side effects I had from some of the others. Never tried Zoloft. IMO it does help some with the anxiety, but my drinking always made that much worse. My doctor wants to add Cymbalta now, but I'm not too keen on taking another pill. Hoping that by giving up the alcohol things will settle down a bit. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
**No medical advice per the rules***
Thank you for observing that

I've taken both, and eventually ended up on taking a different medication entirely. Everyone will have a different reaction to medications, so it's very important to work directly with your doctor/prescriber if they're not working for you. I found it very helpful to keep a log of my sleep patterns and how I was feeling so that I could give my doc a detailed description of the pros/cons of what I was taking.

As far as taking any of these medications with alcohol, no, that never worked for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you will be able to transition from one medication to the other without discomfort because both are similar in effect and your doctor will adjust your dose.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know many who have had success with Lwxapro although for myself it did absolutely nothing. I agree, each person is different so work w your dr for what is best for YOU!

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Zoloft was HORRIBLE for me. Im now three days off of it and the side effects are finally almost gone. Man that stuff made me twitch, get startled extremely easily, had the sex drive and functionality of a 80 year old man, made my anxiety sky rocket, gave me night sweats so bad it was like I took a shower, gave me a panic attack for the first time in years and generally made me feel bad. I was only on it for a few weeks but I said no more for me. Thank god those are all almost gone now.

I may give give something else a try but I've had bad experiences with meds in the past and that experience again makes me very reluctant.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've taken both. I took Zoloft as an active alcoholic, and now I take Lexapro as a sober individual. I can't speak to what will work for you, however, I can tell you that Lexapro has been wonderful for me.

As you know we can't give medical advice....but I do have some other advice: Please, don't read too much into the horror stories from others. If I'd listened to what I read online about Lexapro, I'd have never taken it. I'm sure glad I went to my doctor and got things sorted.

And please, make sure you're sober. That is going to be the biggest factor! Good luck.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've taken both and they worked roughly the same for me. For me all of the SSRI's are ROUGH with anxiety starting off though. Anxiety through the roof and sleepless nights. Have found that being given something to counteract the anxiety during the startup period helps. That said most of those anxiety pills can be very addictive so one has to be careful if this is an issue for you. Now that I realize I need SSRI's I've stopped the whole cycle of going off them only to find out I really NEED them a year later.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had some strange zaps in transition but a month later it all seems fine. The Zoloft had run its course. No longer effective. Lexapro seems to be effective and I did not have any issues during the transition. Feel more calm and not as tired.