Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Dr. appointment tomorrow and guess what: I'm anxious about it! :)

Notices

Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an appointment with a new doctor tomorrow. My primary reason for getting a new GP was because of my anxiety issues, so I plan to address them tomorrow after the initial physical.

And guess what? I've got anxiety about this appointment! This is like a bad joke LOL. Good grief! I think I need to get up early tomorrow morning and take a jog, keep caffiene intake low or at zero. I will need to eat well and get a good night's sleep tonight.

I am already painting a bad experience in my head about what will occur, and this is the root of my anxiety problem. I need to change my frame of mind and start thinking positively and look forward to this visit. I need to "flip the script" and think about how good this will be for me in the long-term. This post has helped me start that process. Thanks for the support guys!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

You know what I think would be perfect ?

If you went to your anxiety doctor WITH ANXIETY !

Then they can treat you properly. No need to go in all healed up. Go in broken so they can right the wrong.

You got this Big. And so proud of you for taking yet another huge step in your well being.

XO AO
Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

exactly what AO says. just be who you are and don't try to put up any facade.

perhaps someone who deals with anxiety rather than a GP may be the ticket.

Good luck S
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with your appointment today. Is your shot the water tower in the rain?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Code job: yep, took that photo last autumn and it turned out to be a pretty cool long-exposure shot. Link to full image here: http://picsurge.com/g/BPKC1U

Doctor appt: I did it!

Right before I left, I met with my landlord - I've been working on a possible move and I needed to talk to him about my current lease. The discussion couldn't have been better and I got some real flexible options. Part of my reasons for anxiety lately have surrounded this issue so it was a great springboard to take care of that before my appointment.

I spent 1 hour in the waiting room (boo) but I did get seen. The doctor was kind, and I have been prescribed a low-level SNRI, something I have experience with as I took a similar prescription a few years ago. I dislike the known side effects - which mainly take place "below the belt" if you catch my drift - but it's an option and I can start tomorrow. I also have a follow up appointment with a therapist in 2 weeks, as well as another follow up with this GP at the end of the month.

I was honest about using alcohol to cope with anxiety in the past, and the doctor agreed that benzos or addictive drugs should be off the table. I accept that 100%.

Things are going well at work, and the meeting with my landlord and the dr. appointment today have left me feeling very powerful and happy. So good, in fact, that I'm actually wondering if I should even start down this road with my new prescription...I'm guessing though, I should give this a shot. Right?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I started taking lexipro last week. I have had some panic attacks. I have been sober for 3 years. I hope it gets better with work.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I started taking lexipro last week. I have had some panic attacks. I have been sober for 3 years. I hope it gets better with work.
Thanks Mcribb - same prescription here. I have been sober for almost 2 years, and have also had panic attacks. Today is my first day on it, I feel a bit woozy and not so sharp. I hope things get better for both of us, buddy.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Yeah I had some drug that was like benydrill and it scared the crap out of me, I spoke to my sponsor. I still want to be sober. so I may just be having to deal with anxiety day in and day out for awhile. Powerless over life right now.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thinking about you Big. Sending you good ju ju.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Bigsombrero, FANTASTIC. Next week I'm going to a therapist concerning emotional issues. In July I'll be 4 years sober and the dominate emotion I had was anger and it is still a serious problem. However now that I have the full range of emotions that a normal person has I'm having problems with all of them too. If they cure you would ya please let me know, rootin for ya.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a neat shot! Thanks for the link to the full photo!

Hope your med intervention works out. Be patient as SSRIs take a bit.