Notices

Just so you know about benzos

Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
9/15/08

I've been sober from alcohol for 199 days today.

Been on Campral all of those days, and was on Xanax for the first several months.

Stopped taking the Xanax as I realized my tolerance grew from 0.5mg a day to 4mg daily. Doctor took me off via taper.

Didn't have much of a withdrawal, other than some intense insomnia and irritability.

IMO, its great for anxiety and panic disorders, but addicts should be careful with it.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To Life!

I have to tell you guys (and gals) that are making recommendations for others; it always works better if you stick to your own experience. That way, you are never wrong.
Thank you, Barto!

JustJohnny,
Please continue with what is working, and take any questions to your doctor.
This website is not about giving *medical advice.*
NONE of us here are medical professionals, and none of us are capable of giving such advice.
I, personally, have had a prescription of xanax - .25 mg - for 14 years. I take it as needed; never have I abused it; and it works when I need it. Further, I have *never* experience any withdrawal at all.
Follow your doctor's advice.

We're here to share our Experience, strength and hope to those who suffer. It is our purpose. To give and get help when needed.

I wish you well.

(PS, Barto, it was the other thread that got closed. )

Shalom!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Jrock75 View Post
I don't have any of those physical symptoms but I have several of the mental symptoms
1. anxiety 2.Panic attacks 3.Depersonalization/ Derealization 4.Nightmares(more like conflict dreams)5.Fear 6.Intrusive thoughts

So I have 6 out of 20 of the mental withdrawl symptoms. I haven't taken a xanax in 6 days. I only took .5 - 1 mg every 3-4 days. I foolishly thought since I was taking below my prescribed dose I would be o.k. In fact I kinda quit taking them again to see if they had grabbed ahold of me,and sure enough they did!

****DISCLAIMER****
I am not saying for you not to take Benzos... just think about the downfalls long and hard before you start.

When you taper off Benzos...you will dream like you never have before. Been
there done that but had to get back on them.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Puddy, I understand your post and your feelings all too well. I have been on Klonopin (and almost most of the others at one time or another) since I was a teenager. I feel like I function much better when I'm on them, but my doctor wants me to start weaning off. I went off once because I lost my insurance. I don't think I slept for a year and I thought I would die. The anxiety was excruciating and believe me I had more than one suicidal thought.
I saw an interview with Stevie Nicks and she was on Klonopin for a long time too. When she went into rehab and start to come off them, she said her hair turned grey, like almost overnight, and she seriously thought she would die. She said it was horrifying.
I'm really scared to start weaning off because I know how bad the withdrawals are for me. I feel psychotic if I don't take them. I don't know if that ever goes away. Now with all this FDA monitoring the doctors, there is a real push to get people off benzos, which I think sucks. I want to go off of them, but my life doesn't feel I want to be here when I do. So I'm stuck, anxious and scared about going off of them.
NOTE: This is my experience only. Not an argument, just what I have been through and how I feel, my experience ONLY.
Thanks and love and peace to anyone who suffers tapering off benzos. I know they are not to be used like I have but I've never been or stayed with a psychiatrist that didn't prescribe them because life felt so strange being off them. ♥♥♥
Old 09-06-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can take them but their is a huge difference between as needed and as wanted.

IMO maintenance dosing will always lead to the dependency nightmare that's worse then the anxiety itself.

This chemical called benzodiazapine was found by accident. It was never designed as an anxiety treatment because someone knew the reason excessive anxiety happens in some people and designed a counter measure.

The first such drug, chlordiazepoxide (Librium), was discovered accidentally by Leo Sternbach in 1955, and made available in 1960 by Hoffmann–La Roche...

Anxiety disorder sucks. Trashed my life cause I took to alcohol to treat it. Society hates "addicts and alcoholics." sick people who attempt to self medicate. We are criminals to them. Our lives are worthless unless you own a private prison or work in that system.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GailJ View Post
If it's working and making your health better.............

As addicts or alcoholic's I think we feel guilt any time real medications are given to us. It's an area that's not discussed much here.

Med's are not booze or drugs, they aren't illegal and usually many end up being involved when you are on them to help.

It's part of the solution, not the sickness.
They are inanimate chemicals that could care less about arbitrary classifications as legal or illegal by the legal system. Bio chemistry could care less about man made laws about legal and illegal as those things are irrelevant to their biochemical effects on the mind and body.

The typical recovery program can inflict that guilt and shame only if you let it. I know I went through treatment and do AA

Darn benzos are dangerous and can cause misery beyond description.

As needed not as wanted. Understand that difference and I think they can be used successfully.

Anxiety disorder sucks making as wanted attractive.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

just so everyone knows this thread is originally from 2009.

Its ok to post here but the people you're posting to may not be active members.
D
Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I seem to have a knack for that, but now that I've been caught in the middle of old threads like 2 or 3 times, I am finally looking at the dates. This is an interesting subject so if one of us wants to start a new thread, that would be great, if not, I'll have to have the thread dates in mind when I think about posting!!! Thank you again, Dee. Hope you are feeling better! ♥
Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Aly - all good here

D
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good to hear and thank you again...