Notices

overwhelming anxiety

Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steamvessel View Post
I've been considering adding ativan to my dosage of 300mg of Wellbutrin. I agree this is the lesser of two evils, any one with severe anxiety knows how hard it is to get throught the night. I don't know what it is about night time, but it can be brutal and is the high point of getting triggered to go drink if it becomes unmanagable. I don't consider this a cure, but as Warrens said maybe a safety net to just get me through some tough nights. It's better than drinking Nyquil which I have done from time to time just to end the night. I think I will talk to my Doctor about this in our next visit, this night time anxiety is just too much to bear, even if I am doing everything else right and is my biggest obstacle to quitting drinking, at least physically.
I would encourage you to look into joining a cbt group. See my post on the front page of this thread as I linked a reply there about the benefits of cbt. It has worked miracles for me and I still do the TEA forms daily. The thought of going from eliminating alcohol from my life to replacing it with anxiety meds was not a good option for me. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THe beta blocker he prescribed was not available in generic and the small scrip cost $35!!! So needless to say I won't be trying that for anxiety. He put me back on gabapentin and I'm taking that in addition to buspar (plus zoloft for depression and risperdal for bipolar). Still having horrible anxiety and insomnia. Feel tired all the time but so anxious I can't just take a nap - my favorite escape. Still waiting for the ativan to get here... It's the only thing that relieves the anxiety right now, with definite results. Am really sick of always feeling anxious and restless and unable to concentrate or even sit still.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Had been doing better and not so anxious recently but today is bad. I made the mistake this morning of having two cups of coffee. I won't do that again any time soon. Have been jumping out of my skin all morning. Can't sit still or focus on anything. Have tried my herbal remedies and chamomile tea and a hot shower, still feeling antsy and awful.

I can deal with depression a lot easier than anxiety cause if I'm really depressed I can sleep it off with a nap but being so anxious means I can't rest or relax.

It's frustrating as hell not being able to unwind and feel 'normal'.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Least,

How are things going with you today?

Today just seems to be one of those days for me.

Intro
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Today is a depressing and anxiety-ridden day for me. Only had one coffee so can't blame that. Went out with my mother and just like all last week, her driving worried the hell out of me. Found out from the BMV that if I report her I have to give permission for them to tell her that I was the one who reported her... which I don't want to do... yet. But am afraid that if she continues to drive she'll have an accident.

I've been drinking chamomile tea all day, trying to relax, but the only change I've felt is having to go to the bathroom constantly. It's so frustrating to not be able to sit still and focus on anything. Been trying to watch movies to take my mind off of things but can't sit still for very long.

I hate feeling so anxious. I can deal with being depressed a lot better cause if I get really depressed I can take a nap. Being so anxious won't let me sleep or relax. And it's a cold grey day out, can't walk the dogs or sit outside or anything. Am sick of feeling so anxious and frustrated and worried.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I´m sorry, Least.

Have you tried Omega 3? It´s absolutly natural and can really make a difference.

Sometimes when I feel like this, I force myself to exercise or do yoga at home, using a DVD. It forces the endorphins to kick in, so I feel better.

I sometimes think about the best vacation I ever had and start remembering the sunshine, the bluegreen sea, the warm white sand and it relaxes me.

Sending you warm thoughts.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, I take it every day. I haven't noticed any difference.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I havn't been around here for such a long time, nice to see a lot of friends still posting. I feel your pain least, still struggle myself and much has gone on in the past year I won't post right now, not ready yet. Heart and hugs and hope your anxiety breaks soon.

Those outside stressors we don't cause ourselves can be so exhausting, remember to take care of yourself and health first.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Another anxiety-ridden day. Met my mother for lunch and, as usual, her memory and vision is getting so bad I'm worried sick for her. I'm going to have "the talk" with her about her driving and memory loss this weekend. I expect a lot of anger and resentment but it must be addressed.

In the meantime am trying to stay warm without turning up the furnace too much. Am trying to relax but not able to. So much going on in my life and most of it is out of my control.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My anxiety is off the scale today. Woke up feeling sick, as tho I'd been drinking and I haven't been drinking. What's up with that? Had a 'talk' with mom yesterday and it didn't go over well. She reacted with hurt and doubt, as tho I were lying about her bad memory and declining driving skills. I will have to really push her to go to the doctor and stop driving, as she sees (or doesn't want to see) no problems with her driving.

I'm playing a waiting game here and it's making me anxious and crazy. Probably the reason I woke up with a bad headache. I am giving her a chance to see the doctor for a full exam and stop driving of her own volition... which I doubt will happen, then I'll have to report her to the state for retesting of her driving skills... which she won't pass.

And in the meantime the anxiety is getting worse. I would love to go back to bed and 'sleep it off' but too anxious to sleep or even relax.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

((Least))

I´m not familiar with your family history, but I do know about mothers.

The first thing I had to do to keep my sanity was to set boundaries, let go, let God and count to twenty in two languages.

You have done what is right, talked with her about her driving and memory, so things are in motion. Does she have a fixed appointment with the doctor and do you know the doctor?

Hang in there,

Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have the same doctor, and no, she hasn't made an appt yet. I reminded her to make one and let me know when it was so I could take her there. She asked me why I had to take her, either forgetting what I told her about her driving yesterday, or in denial of her diminishing driving skills... So I asked her to make the appt and let me know so I could go with her. She asked why I had to go with her and I said to ask the doctor about meds for memory loss and anxiety. She said, "whatever", which means, NO, I'll do it my way!

I recently had to wean myself off ativan cause I'd become dependent on it so taking it again is not an option... but truthfully, I'd give my right arm for one right now as I'm wound up so badly it's unbearable.

She's going to fight me tooth and nail on this one and now that I've forged ahead I can't back out. sigh... I'm tired as hell and would love to just take a nap but can't relax enough to sleep.

Thank you for caring! (((hugs)))
Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I recently had to wean myself off ativan cause I'd become dependent on it so taking it again is not an option... but truthfully, I'd give my right arm for one right now as I'm wound up so badly it's unbearable.
I have a few ativan just in case, but like you least, I dont want to take it.

Feels worse when it wears off..

Intro
Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I was wondering if your mother might be dealing with loss of capacity linked with advancing age.

My father had that for years before he died and it was both stressful and exhausting. I had him tested for Alzheimer and other diseases and he had diminishing mental capacity. I´m not saying your mother is like that, but she obviously needs support from professionals and you shouldn´t have to burden yourself like this.

Are there others in the family, siblings, cousins, maybe your children, who could take part of the burden?

Maybe it´s worth calling the doctor yourself and ask him what he or she thinks.

Let us know.

Sending love and light.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi steamvessel, How are you doing? Did you look at my post about CBT and give it a try yet? Whether you did or not I sincerely hope that you are doing better now

Least I am sorry to hear you are still struggling, but glad so many on here are offering you support and advice
Hang in there you'll feel better eventually!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is crippling me today. Woke up feeling crappy and anxious and it's still going on now. I'm drinking chamomile tea and trying to relax but it's not happening. I hate feeling this way! I can tolerate being depressed cause I can always 'sleep it off' but this anxiety is so bad and keeps me from being able to concentrate on anything.

Had thoughts of drinking it away but talked myself out of it cause I know that would just make it worse. Still feeling like hell tho and can't get rid of this anxiety. I know - this too shall pass... I just want it to pass 'right now'!! Feels like I'm having a heart attack or something.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You probably have a panic attack, but call someone for help.

It will pass, so breathe deeply and try some relaxation therapy.

There is lots of good relaxation music and meditation on youtube. I find it helpful.

Hang in there, you´ll feel better soon.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

........I know how you feel least,

Im feelin it too this morning.

Intro
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Woke up again today with the same anxiety, it seems to be non-stop. Am hanging on by my fingernails and trying to distract myself. Am so sick of feeling so wound up all the time!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Somehow managed to sleep for a couple hours, only to wake up out of an anxiety-ridden dream! This nameless, faceless anxiety is horrible and it reminds me of the anxiety when going thru withdrawals, it's that severe and leaves me shaking and agitated. I'm drinking a lot of chamomile tea and taking herbal remedies for anxiety, but it's still there and seems worse than it was this morning.

I'd give my right arm for an ativan about now... but since there aren't any will just have to get thru somehow. I hope it goes away soon as I'm stuck in the house for a couple days at least due to the (new) snowstorm we got today. Supposed to last thru tomorrow night... sigh... At least I have what I need to survive during this storm.