Notices

overwhelming anxiety

Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

Iīm sorry you have these anxiety attacks. I used to suffer from them for years on end. My underlying reason was a terrible insecurity and no self-esteem, so I felt I couldnīt handle the slightest stress the world threw me.

Staying sober was the first order of business for me, but it took a long time. Next step was to look at my whole life as honestly I could and tackle my money problems, my relationship with my children and family. I did it with the help of a therapist and some medication and it really helped.

By rebuilding my life and joining people who have the same problem Iīm getting there. I still get attacks, but I know how to deal with them and I most certainly need to rebuild my life yet again, as Iīm doing by posting here.

I believe that simple and achievable goals can take away the symptoms. Of course itīs a very complex disorder, so Iīm not minimizing it. Itīs like a knot that needs entangling.

When something overwhelms me, I write it down and put it in a small box I call "my Godbox". Then I take an action not to think about that problem for the day, or ten days or a month. I let Higher power deal with the problem. This helps me letting go of the outcome.

I use that free time from worry by looking for informations from the internet, library and other people in order to solve the problem or at least how to deal with it. This could involve looking for a therapist or talking to a local hotline.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was doing alright today until I brought defiant kid over here to (supposedly) spend the weekend cause of her having a cold and her sister not wanting the baby to catch it. Well, after an hour of her screaming at me, really screaming, and cussing me out for all my failures and how stupid I am, I caved in and called her sister and begged her to let dk stay there. I felt like one more minute with dk screaming at me and I'd be wanting to shoot myself.

Now I'm at home alone again and trying to calm down but still feel tight in the throat and my heart is pounding like I've been running a hundred miles. I don't want any more encounters with dk for a while. I can't take the punishment she loves to dole out.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The 'underlying' problem is my youngest kid who is 17. I can't just "breathe" her sh!t away, so having ativan when she's unbearable is most helpful. I'm not masking anything, if I could, I'd mask youngest kid, and hogtie and gag her too. Whatever keeps me from wanting to strangle her or run in front of a big truck. You have NO IDEA what she puts me thru.

The "underlying problem" is my youngest kid, and the problem will never be solved thru cbt or any other "coping" skill, it will be solved when she MOVES OUT and lives on her own without dragging me into her sh!t.

Better to take an ativan once in a while than to drink myself into a stupor every day over youngest kid and her crap. I'll take the lesser of two evils, thankyouverymuch.
I agree with the last part, but just be careful with them. I got a lot better when I realized that the way I thought about things made me more anxious and accepted that my life was 10% what happens in it and 90% how I reacted and or thought about what was happening.

I sincerely hope you feel better soon
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The anxiety is still there, and now it's often attached to my dealings with defiant kid (youngest kid, 17 yrs old). I'm told by experts that I have to 'retrain' her to treat me with respect and to respect my boundaries. I'm doing that, but in the process am ridden with anxiety over her constant calls asking for rides or favors. I've been telling her NO and sticking to it, but her calls and nagging are wearing me out. When my phone rings and it's from her I go into 'stress mode'. My heart starts racing and I feel physically sick.

I intend to stand my ground and have issued an edict that I will not take her anywhere but to medical appts and her Sunday night youth group meetings. She still calls, trying to badger me into giving in. But so far I'm holding my ground and just saying NO.

I can see that her retraining is going to take a lot of effort and time. I just hope I'm still alive and well at the end of it...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

((((LEAST)))) Have you considered not answering the phone when you see it's her calling? She can't badger you if she can't talk to you.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes I don't answer it,but am afraid that the call I don't answer might actually be important. But when she calls back after being told NO then I don't answer it.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Unhappy

Today is just not fair. I've got a backache so bad it's giving me anxiety because of the pain. I can't sit still or focus on anything. Feel really 'antsy' and restless. Pacing the house. Starting to do something and then stopping. Anxiety kicks my ass worse than depression cause I just can't stand being in that hyperactive, hypersensitive state. At least when I'm depressed I can just sleep, but anxiety won't let me stay still long enough to sleep so I can't 'escape' that way.

I've taken my meds, and am about to have a cup of chamomile tea. I can't wait to see the doctor and get some help.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Back

I hope the trip to the doctor proves worthwhile, Least.

I started physiotherapy for my herniated discs, and it seems to be helping already after 2 visits...the next one is tomorrow morning, Thursday, December 3.

Have you tried Effexor for the anxiety?

Kelly
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm on Buspar for anxiety but it doesn't always help. Woke up in an anxiety attack this morning and it's still bad. I'm drinking chamomile tea to help it go away. The worst thing about these anxiety attacks is that they feel a lot like the anxiety of alcohol withdrawal. Another good reason not to drink...

I'm out of ativan and waiting for another order to arrive. It's the only thing that takes away this anxiety.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Least, Iīm sorry you feel anxious.

Hopefully youīll feel better soon. Sending you some warm thought.

Love and light,
Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I have struggled with anxiety for several years, so I can relate. It can really suck being an addict and facing doctors who absolutely refuse to prescribe controlled substances. I take zoloft for anxiety but it never seems to be doing its job. Several "safer, non-addictive" meds have proven to be ineffective, costly, and loaded with bad side effects. Hopefully you will find something helpful.

For me, anxiety causes terrible insomnia. My bupe doc kept pushing seroquel and I tried it in a variety of doses and never had any relief. Luckily, my internist offers ambien which is effective and cheap. Exercise helps, too.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've ordered ativan online but it won't get her for at least two weeks. So in the meantime I'm just taking it one minute at a time until my relief arrives.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry to hear of your acute anxiety. I've had attacks but not as severe and prolonged as you describe. I wish I could suggest something to help. I hope you find relief soon. Warm Regards.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A friend suggested that I ask my pdoc for a beta blocker to lessen my anxiety. I don't know if he'll prescribe it, or if I should take it cause it lowers the heart rate, makes the blood pressure go down, and I have low/low normal bp. So maybe I ca'nt take that. I will ask him tho and see if he would start me on the lowest dose.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sounds like a great plan, Least.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Least,

Iīm sending you warm thoughts.

Donīt give up, itīs possible to become symptom free.

Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I take a beta blocker for my BP and it does a pretty good job controlling my BP and heart rate but doesn't really do much for the anxiety. Even with it, my BP and HR would both go really high during a panic attack. I have heard of them being prescribed for anxiety, though, so it probably does work for some people. If your BP's already on the low side I doubt your doc will want you on a beta blocker, but it probably won't hurt to ask about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

He put me on a low dose of a different beta blocker. I will start on it today as soon as I get it from the pharmacy. I hope it helps.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I wish you all the best with your new meds, Least.

Have you tried therapy and relaxing exercises like yoga or Tao Chi?

Swimming and working out at the gym has really helped me. Yoga has really helped as well.

Love and light.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

least, you sure are burdened with a lot to deal with. back pain is the worst! I hope you feel better soon.