Notices

Really struggling with anx just now

Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

Really struggling with anx just now

Every day is a battle just now. Every day I want to reach for the diazepam cos I can't stand this feeling. I don't though, not every day. I did succumb at the weekend but I am so scared of becoming addicted I make sure I don't take them too often.
I know all the stuff about anxiety. The physiological things that are happening in my body, I know I am not going to die, I know it is my body/brain reacting to a perceived threat. I know to question myself, I know that it is not going to harm me, I know how to breathe properly, I do relaxation exercises regularly etc etc etc
I just cannot stand the feelings! I hate it. I am sat here with my stomach in knots and my chest feeling as though it is being crushed. This is not going to go away until my stressful situation goes away and that is no quick thing. My anxiety builds and builds until my mood drops and then my thoughts start to take a scary turn. At the moment I am thinking bad thoughts and getting scared. I have pdoc appt next week so can run it by him then.
I just don't know what to do whilst the suggested methods are not doing much for me. Other than keep on taking diazepam, which I just don't want to do. I don't want to add addiction to my list of problems.
Sorry, feeling a bit sorry for myself.
Hippy
Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghug3 I am sorry you are struggling so right now
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending hugs
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Hippy))))

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time.
Is there anything particular that's going on? Anything bothering you especially?

I know when I get panic attacks, my throat constricts. I feel like I'm chocking! I can't breathe; can't swallow. It's horrible.

I hope that your doc can help you out. I know for a while, I took BuSpar. It worked pretty good for me, when I needed a full time anti anxiety. But, it's one of those that either works really good for people or doesn't work at all. Maybe you can talk to your doc about it? It's better than the benzos, in that there is no chance for an addiction. If it *does* work for you, you're all set!

Shalom!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hippy

Thanks all,

I am so anxious just now due to a work situation. It is a long story but to cut it short, I feel I am being put in a situation that is impossible for me. I think they are treating me unfairly and I have had a lawyer say so. However, I have no strength for battle.
I am in a lose lose situation and I don't see any way out. My mental health is suffering really badly as a result.
It seems so unfair as when it seems that stability is in my grasp, this comes along and snatches it away.

Teach, I will ask doc about buspar. Thanks.
Hippy
x
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bach Flower Remedies are good too, as is Passiflora [but can't be taken with MAOI anti-depressants].
Along with that, mindfulness is the best support you can give yourself - with kindness and compassion.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

I just did a check on Bach Flower remedies. This is what I found from a Natural Standard and Harvard Medical School site.

Background

Dr. Edward Bach (1886 – 1936) was a British physician who believed that illness is the effect of disharmony between body and mind and that symptoms of an illness are the external expression of negative emotional states. The term flower remedies refers to a set of preparations developed by Dr. Bach. Flower essences are also products derived from Dr. Bach's work.

Dr. Bach asserted that harmful emotions are the main cause of disease, and he classified various emotions into seven principal categories. These categories were then divided further into 38 negative feelings, each of which was associated with a particular therapeutic plant. He also developed a compound of five flowers called Rescue Remedy to be used in emergency situations for trauma.

Bach flower remedies are usually consumed as alcohol-based preparations, but they are also available as creams. Australian bush remedies, Alaskan flower remedies and treatments made from Brazilian rain forest plants are believed by some to be therapeutically similar to Bach flower remedies.
Evidence

Scientists have studied Bach flower remedies for the following health problem:

Anxiety
A small number of studies report the effects of Bach flower remedies to be similar to those of placebo for the treatment of anxiety. These studies have not been well designed, and additional research is necessary before a firm conclusion can be drawn.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
Little clinical information is available on the effects of Bach flower remedies on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, although one subjective test found that it has no significant effect. More research confirming these results is necessary before a recommendation can be made.
Major depressive disorder
Depression is one of the major uses of Bach flower remedies. Currently, there is a lack of high-quality clinical trials that have investigated this subject.
Pain
One low-quality retrospective study indicates that Bach flower may benefit patients experiencing physical pain. More research is needed in this area.

Unproven Uses

Bach flower remedies have been suggested for many other uses, based on tradition or on scientific theories. However, these uses have not been thoroughly studied in humans, and there is limited scientific evidence about safety or effectiveness. Some of these suggested uses are for conditions that are potentially life-threatening. Consult with a health care provider before using Bach flower remedies for any use.

Aloofness
Ambivalence
Apathy
Cleansing
Depression
Despair
Discouragement
Egotism
Emotional healing
Envy
Excessive pride
Failure to learn from mistakes
Fear, including fear of the unknown
Guilt
Hatred
Hopelessness
Impatience
Inability to say "no"
Indecision
Inflexibility Intolerance
Jealousy
Lack of confidence
Mania
Mental anguish
Mental exhaustion
Narcissism
Nostalgia
Overdue pregnancy
Phobias
Physical exhaustion
Possessiveness
Procrastination
Repression
Rigidity
Self-hatred
Selfishness
Shame
Stress
Trauma
Wanderlust

Potential Dangers

Many Bach flower remedies contain alcohol, which may cause nausea and vomiting if taken with metronidazole (Flagyl) or disulfiram (Antabuse). Alcohol may also cause drowsiness. Driving or operating heavy machinery may be inadvisable if using Bach therapies with high alcohol concentrations. Alcohol intake should be limited in pregnant or breast-feeding women.

People allergic to certain plants or flowers may be sensitive to Bach flower remedies, although only a small amount of the plant may exist in the solution. Treatment with Bach remedies should not delay consultation with a health care provider for a potentially severe illness.

Summary

Bach flower remedies, and other systems of botanical treatments derived from Bach's work, have been recommended for many psychological and emotional conditions. There are numerous anecdotes about successful treatment with Bach flower remedies, although effectiveness and safety have not been thoroughly investigated scientifically.

The information in this monograph was prepared by the professional staff at Natural Standard, based on thorough systematic review of scientific evidence. The material was reviewed by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School with final editing approved by Natural Standard.
Since this is a recovery based web site, I just thought it was prudent to point out that these products are often alcohol based. Caution must be used if you have an alcohol problem or if you are on antabuse.

As always, please consult your doctor.

Shalom!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hippy

Thanks for that info.

I did try bach remedies many years ago and didn't find them particularly helpful. However, that is not to say they won't help now.
Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.
Hippy
xx
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wish you all the best