Notices

Uncontrollable Aggressive Thoughts?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uncontrollable Aggressive Thoughts?

Anybody ever suffer from uncontrollable, compulsive aggressive thoughts - particularly toward someone who clearly loves you? Not physically violent thoughts, but more like thoughts meant to diminish, humiliate etc.

The fact that thoughts are private as long as they are not acted upon is not what I'm looking to talk about. This is going deeper - like into a discussion about the Jungian "shadow". I'm refering to inner obstacles to regaining an open heart on a really honest and deep level.

Anybody deal with this and come out the other end? If so, what is this symptomatic of? OCD or something else? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Coyote,
I don't think that the Jungian "shadow" is a symptom of ocd, or any other mental illness at all. As Jung stated, it's a part of us all. None of us are without "sin" so to speak. We all have this dark side; some more, some less.

But, we all have a place of light too. A place that is of pure love. It is brought out by different things for each of us -- perhaps by a baby's smile; a parent's protective embrace; a stream in the woods; an old couple holding hands; or the touch of a lover. Whatever it is, we all know it.

You ask about coming out the other end. That statement made me think of this old American Indian story I heard years ago. I think it's quite fitting.

An old Cherokee Indian was speaking to his grandson:

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil--he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a long minute, and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
We cannot control what thoughts come into our minds. But, we do not have to feed those thoughts. We can let them pass through without nourishing them at all. And we *can* consciously choose to think more positive thoughts of loving moments when those negative thoughts pass through. As we replace the negative thoughts with positive ones, we find that the positive ones become more frequent and the negative, less so. It takes time, but, it happens.

Like the old Cherokee said, the wolf we feed is the one who will win.
We each have the choice on which one side of us we will nourish.

This is a great topic of discussion, coyote. Thanks for bringing it up.

Shalom!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi History Teacher,
Thank you for your calm and your wisdom - extremely grateful for your post.

I guess I was mixing things up wrt the Jungian shadow and questions about symptoms of OCD. I think I'm trying (also) to reconcile years of Freudian-based therapy, my irritations with it, and where it might overlap with Jung...because...Jung is what's making sense to me now. That's just now though. I can't dismiss all the good the other work did me (and my realm of impact on others).

Great story you shared. The resistance to the shadow or shadow thoughts, is I guess what gives them so much power. This seems so obvious to me today...how could one avoid it for so many years?!!
peace,
Coyote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yea, Coyote, I agree.

Resistance is feeding it. Because resistance is giving it power over you. It's giving those negatative thoughts energy -- your precious energy. And that energy is much better spent on positive things, yes?

Happy Holidays to you!

Shalom!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes the energy is much better spent on positive things. However, I don't think you can realize this fully (at least I couldn't) until I began dealing with the shadow on my own. It's a gift to be catalyzed in this direction - but it just doesn't feel like it when you are going through it. Anyway, excellent book called "Jung to Live By" by Eugene Pascal. I'll post some excerpts after the holiday. Have a great holiday!!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Historyteach,
I take it you've been through this process of dealing with the shadow? That your understanding of this is more than theoretical... do you mind sharing something about it? Like how you dealt with it and what triggered it? (If you don't mind.)

I'm really struggling with this process of dealing with it. I know that in order to integrate the shadow self, a person has to except it so that the negative can become transformed and I'm stuck turning the negative round and round. Making it more difficult is that it has been triggered by the re-emergence of somebody from my past...and there is a lot of projection going on wrt this person and it is harmful - it's a defense really against the other person who I love. I see it, but I'm having difficulty transforming it into something positive.

Coming from a certain type of background it was necessary for me - as a young adult - to really fortify my ego; moreso than is usually necessary for a healthy young person. I had no choice but to do that as separation of "self" was a key issue for my emotional survival then. You can imagine though, as one advances in age - a really fortified ego can block out god's will, if you will, or spiritual transformation. So it starts to work against you.
Care to share your experience in dealing with it?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

have a good day
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Anybody ever suffer from uncontrollable, compulsive aggressive thoughts - particularly toward someone who clearly loves you? Not physically violent thoughts, but more like thoughts meant to diminish, humiliate etc.

The fact that thoughts are private as long as they are not acted upon is not what I'm looking to talk about. This is going deeper - like into a discussion about the Jungian "shadow". I'm refering to inner obstacles to regaining an open heart on a really honest and deep level.

Anybody deal with this and come out the other end? If so, what is this symptomatic of? OCD or something else? Thanks.
I get those kinds of thoughts and when I do I either try to immediately change my thought to a positive or I just get busy doing something. It's terrible, the things that pop into my head. I'll have to check out this Jungian shadow, I've never heard of it.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was told for issues to embrace the harmful thoughts, pray about them to be removed. I was told that even unspoken thoughts are like spoken thoughts, kinda like lying by ommission or commission.