Notices

Forgetting to laugh

Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forgetting to laugh

They talked about it at the VA Hospital, in fact they used some George Carlin skits to help. One thing they passed out was a letter he wrote after his wife died. Have any of you seen it? If not, I can post it. Anyway, it sort of sums up how we forget to enjoy life/sobriety. Pointing out all the things in life that are suppose to give us more time and an easier life. I was thinking about it on the way home on the train last night and how it applys to me. I've been bored and listless lately. Then I started to see that I need a better plan to spend the extra time from not drinking. Most of all I need to learn to laugh at myself. I've been walking around with a scowal on my face. I've been letting the anger from not being able to drink dictate my moods and how I present myself to others. Looking angry isn't going to invite new people and ideas into my life. Almost like I'm saying" Fine, if I can't drink and be happy, I'm not going to be happy at all. They had us practice it at the VA Hospital. What our assignment was to force ourselves to smile while walking arounf the hospital. Then make note of, without saying a word, how many return smiles we got. Sounds crazy but, it works. The idea was to practice it until it became our normal action. Well, I've got to head for work. Go ahead, do something that makes you laugh today. Don W
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

There is no way to happiness.... happiness IS the way!
The Buddha
Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Don

Not knowing if you are interested or not but will share and you can make the choice.
Something to fill some time...

The traveling Healing Wall is in Quincy till Sunday night. Was set up and opened today. Maybe something that others at the VA may like to know about as well.
It is about a mile, maybe a mile and a half from the train stop in Wallaston.

I went today.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I'd love to see the Carlin letter, Don, if you're willing to post it.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by nocellphone
I'd love to see the Carlin letter, Don, if you're willing to post it.
Ditto
Old 06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks best and nocellphone. I'll post it this weekend. Don't have a scanner so I'll be typing. I'm sure you and others, like myself, will be able to identify with it. I've seen the Healing Wall before. It is very moving, 3 friends I grew up with lost their lives in Vietnam. Hard to explain but, for many of us it is a chance to remember but, also opens old wounds at times. Right now I'm under orders from my counselor at the VA, to try and avoid both current and past wars. Including my favorite John Wayne movies. Don W