Notices

Unexpected joys of sobriety

Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
doing nothing

Unexpected joys of sobriety

I decided to embark upon a sober life to avoid all the negatives that heavy drinking was causing me.
To my surprise, I have discovered some unexpected positives that have come with sobriety. (as well as several expected ones). Individually most of them aren't that big of a deal, but there are a lot of them and cumulatively they make me realize how much I was giving up just fr the booze.

How about a thread to share some of these unexpected positives that we have experienced?

I'll start with a couple:

1.) I drink a lot more water now than I ever have before. Not soda, juice or iced tea but good old water. I have always hated drinking plain water, but now I am scarfing it down and feeling good. Weird, unexpected, and probubly not too bad for me.

2.) I actually brush my teeth at night for the first time since I was a teenager; it's easier to remember when you aren't passed out on the couch.

3.) The romance between me and my lady has improved greatly as well, once again not being passed out every night is key.

What unexpected little (or big) improvements have you noticed since you went sober?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Interesting topic... Thanks! I will on in!!

1. A re connection with God and my family

2. No more wasted money

3. A profound sense of joy and purpose
Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Smile

Things I didn't expect...
1. Renewed interest in the world around me.
2. Much more time to live each day.
3. A calmer view of life, comes from 1 and 2.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

1) I have not had a panic attack in the 3 years and 9 months (knocks on wood). This is a pretty big deal for me since I was pretty much unable to leave the house with any kind of hope that I would not get totally freaked out standing in line at the grocery store unless I was half drunk.

2) I feel much more connected to other people than I ever have, even before the drinking got to the point where I didn't want to see any other people at all.

3) I "comprehend the word serenity". Which is not to say that I have it all the time. Just that I know the difference between serenity and a hole in the ground.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't expect:

-Those dark circles under my eyes are now gone.

-Skin is clearing up and looks healthier

-My vision has improved markedly

-(sorry to be blunt) those pesky hemmies are no longer giving me trouble

-people are friendlier

-I actually have emotions

-I'm able to enjoy new taste experiences. Cooking is FUN!

-I'm able to exercise and get an actual good feeling from physical exhaustion

-I probably won't die soon and feel good about it

Mongo
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1. Sleeping through the whole night and waking up refreshed.

2. More interest in taking care of my home and family

3. Weight loss! YEY!!! Spare tire deflating!

4. Increased energy

5. More emotionaly stable. No more temper tantrums, or crying jags.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sharing My Esh With You

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Thanks Slacker for ur topic and share.

Hmmm....i need a moment to think about this one. Let's see......

Things I didnt expect when i stayed sober a number of one days at a time....

From the beginning I didnt think i would want to stay sober. I didnt think i would be able to stop drinking. I didnt think i would fit in to this wonderful helpful program of recovery. I didnt think my life would be worth living. But it has because I incorporated the 12 steps into my everyday life to the best of my ability. Took the suggestions to heart and wanted more than anything what u people had. A life free from the dependancy of alcohol and learning how to do that one day at a time.

I didnt think i would have a friend in the world and now i have an abundance of new found friendships of people i have never seen or personally know. Its just thru the sharing of each others experieces, strengths and hopes that i connect comfortably with each of u traveling the same road of recovery as i.

At 14 yrs sober, i finally seek medical advice and help for my chemical embalance. Now the quality of my recovery is so much better. It's not the quanity of days sober that makes a difference in recovery, but rather the quality of it.

After 14 yrs sober, and a 24 yr. marriage that i thought was doomed for divorce has a new flicker of light to it. Today, i realize there r NO QUARANTEES IN LIFE and that I need to accept people, places and things just as they are suppose to be in life.

I have tried all my life to eat right, exercise but for all the wrong reasons. Today, i do these things because I WANT TO. Not only is it better for heath reasons, but its the desire to want to have a better quality of life in the body i was born with.

I am more a physical active person rather that the "brain". So just with in the past few months I have been walking more and running a tad with my 19 yr. old daughter. I dont HAVE TO DO THIS. i WANT AND HAVE THE DESIRE TO DO THIS.

When i got sober at 30, i thought i was the youngest person getting sober in those days. I returned to Baton Rouge, where i got sober, several Christmas's ago and walked into a meeting experiencing something totally awesome.

An EXPLOSION of NEWCOMERS just coming in to seek help for their addictions. It was sooooo unbelievable to see how these youngsters wanted to learn how to stay sober and clean and I realized then that I could help them by sharing what was so freely given to me. It is time to give back.

I know I just have today and I can look back and see the progress of my recovery and how it has blossomed only because i did some work to get here.

I didnt do this on my own. Besides u wonderful people and the love of a family that did for me back then when i was helpless and hopeless, i am truely greatful.

And finally to a Power greater than I. He is not last by no means. Having a faith i was brought up on has given me the strength to continue on my journey, ever remaining teachable and willing to go to any lengths to stay sober one day at a time.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
doing nothing

a few more little things that have changed for the better and surprised me:

Food tastes so much better now. Real food: fresh fruit, whole grain breads, vegatables, eggs and milk.

I feel better physically and emotionally. The daily rollercoaster has turned into a pleasure cruise.

I am more pleasant and I seem to be enjoying human interaction more than before.

I wake up in the morning feeling rested and refreshed.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Thanks Slacker and all!

I am grateful to be alive, every day, and I thank God for the opportunity that I now have to LIVE, not just exist.

It is truly a miracle, to live. Wonderful!

Cathy31
x
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1. I take time to stop and smell the flowers (literally.) I now take joy in small things that I overlooked because I was too drunk to care.

2. I enjoy being outside much more...I have the energy when I wake up to go outside and do stuff, instead of crawling out of bed just in time to get to work, or to start drinking in the AM on my day off.

3. I have a much deeper insight than I normally do.

4. I think about my future much more.

5. I'm not as shy as I thought I was. I actually say hi to people and start small conversations without freaking out about screwing up my words.

6. The dark circles are going away.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1 Patience, especially with difficult people and situations
2.Tolerance replaces judgemental attitutde
3. Ability to really listen and pay attention to others
4. Ability to pay bills now that I dont pi$$ it all away
5.I no longer make mountains out of molehillS; ex: I had a flat tire today. period. I had a flat tire. It was NOT the end of the world, the car is NOT falling apart, the world is NOT out to punish me for my sins (lol)
6. self importance is being resized
7. my business is actually growing again
8. I actually like my life
9. I can answer the phone without having to screen the call first out of fear or dread
10. dark circles gone
Old 06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Great thread. Things I didn't expect/think about:

Knowing that if I am feeling bad it is because I am getting sick, not that it is some reaction to drinking or drugs.

Actually being tired in the evening and ready for bed.

The JOY of falling asleep totally unaided. I still can't get enough of that.

My fingernails don't break anymore. I actually have to trim them!

I haven't really hurt myself in months. I always thought I was just a clutz. Nope! I was just a drunk.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Knowing what day of the week it is and knowing what I said the day before.

Being prepared for the unexpected and able to respond. Instead of being incapacitated.

Not over reacting because my emotions are marred by alcohol.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
alconaut

This is a good thread slacker. I can especially appreciate Stobert's observation about time.....
Originally Posted by Stobert
2. Much more time to live each day.
So true that is. It seems like the 5 years before I finally quit slipped through my fingers like sand.

Now our time doesn't belong to alcohol anymore.

Hmm. So much we have taken back.....
Old 06-20-2006, 03:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

**** The darkness has lifted and now the light streams in!

Plus heaps of things that are below.

lots of love,
Brigid
Old 06-20-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is absolutely an awesome thread... I don't have the room to list all the things that I have experienced. But I guess the most important is #1 I actually found a God of my understanding.... #2 I found myself and learned to love me #3 I learned how to love others and be tollerant ( I don't have to be RIGHT all the time) #4 I have a relationship with my family, hubby and children, that I never knew I could have. #5 I have a peace and serenity that NOBODY can take away from me. Gosh I could go on and on like that energizer bunny. Yall know from all my other post I can't shut up... Those were all the unexpected things that I recieved.. Love to all .. I love this post....
Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One more thing...2dayzmuse reminded me. I got an email from someone asking how I was doing after a phone call I had with him a few days ago. The first thing that popped in my head was, "Oh God, what did I say? Why is he asking?" I used to blackout all of the time and say stupid **** to people that I would later regret. I no longer have to worry about that.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love this thread!

I no longer walk around waiting for the other shoe to drop. Alcohol created havoc and chaos in my life and everything always went wrong after I took that first drink.

I wake up and FEEL GOOD in the morning!

No embarrasment of saying stuff to people and then not remembering what I said.

Better outlook on life!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

LOL. Yeah, being able to remember previous conversations is always a HUUUUUUGE relief!

Also, now anytime I have an argument with the girlfriend, it's not necessarily caused my own drunken stupidity. I used to spent a lot of time apologizing and trying to make up for stupid things I'd say to her. Now I can trust my own opinions and feelings - I don't have to feel bad about it afterwards and grovel for forgiveness.

I guess it comes down to being able to understand and love myself once again. The guilt, the shame, the self-loathing are the most horrible aspects I associate with my drinking.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MKM

I love this thread what a great idea. I also liked reading all the reasons people have - good to refer to this if ever tempted!

I will add:

1. My workouts are much better sober as I can put more effort into them.

2. I don't eat as much (alcohol stimulated my appetite at lot).

3. I tried to drink water while drinking but I still was not drinking enough as
alcohol does dehydrate a person. Now I even substitute water with grape
juice for my previous dinner wine.

4. I can go for a walk with my dogs at 6 a.m. and be not hung over!

5. I can leave the house and go anywhere driving myself (I used to run
errands and get back home at 11 to start my drinking). I don't fear
getting stopped and getting a DWI.

6. I wave to cops now because of #5!

7. Money...I did not realize how much our budget went to alcohol. And
husband is not imbibing as much now since I don't. So our wine/alcohol
bill is very low now.

8. No more running to the mirror looking if I have a 'drunkard's looks'. You
know that bleary eyed, puffy, "Whatever happened to Baby Jane?"
ich look. I was always peering into the
mirror with concern, now I know I don't have the drunkard's look.

9. Knowing without a doubt that I am not damaging my health. I was always
researching the least amount one could drink daily without harm. Alcohol
is not healthy at all. And the few so called benefits (the daily glass of
wine) can be had with a glass of grape juice.

10. I have always had excellent health habits and now am back to feeling
that I do again.