Notices

Hypnotherapy?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnotherapy?

I've been meaning to put this out for discussion for a while now. There's this advertisement that runs daily on the radio station I listen to; it touts a particular hypnotherapy tape series as a "cure for alcoholism."

Anyone here ever try it? Did it work? Just curious...

(Don S--I'm looking for some of your wisdom & facts here! )

Jane
Old 06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know nothing about it, have never heard of it, but would be interested in hearing more about it just for learning more about what is out there. Love to all Debs
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a girlfriend go through hypno for smoking and it worked for her. I think I'd be afraid of what they're doing to my brain though. I've come to believe that the drugs and alcohol have created paranoia in me, so I shy away from anything I don't trust.
I guess if you've tried every other thing out there, it would be one more option.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I went 1 on 1 for 6 visits to a hypnotherapist
to stop smoking and lose weight.

I am still a fat smoker...

The fact that I was then drinking might have a bearing on the results.
Sober..I want no one messing with my brain.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. (Oops, I accidentally thanked myself, too! ) I can't seem to find much on the subject in regard to alcohol.

Oh well, I wouldn't try it anyway. Sounds a little creepy to have someone messing with your subconscious.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I went to a hypnotherapist about 2 months ago to help me give up smoking cigarettes and pot. It wasn't like hypnotism that you see on TV, at all times I was conscious of what was happening and there really was none of that hoky poky brain type stuff. I loved it, the therapist was keen to work on the aspect of coping with stress, he talked to me to start with to hear all about my issues, asked some really pertinent questions. Then he got me comfortable in a chair, put on soothing music and talked to me like it was myself talking to me, took me down levels of consciousness, but not like I couldn't have fought the whole thing.

I have had half a cigarette since, found the willpower to part with my husband (who smokes pot, cigarettes and has since told me that he really misses getting smashed with me and will never deprive himself of that luxury again - so he obviously loved me for who I really am - sigh), have not been tempted to find pot or smoke it.

Mind you I was totally determined for this to work and I was comitted to doing whatever the therapist wanted me to do. I did enjoy it, I cried a lot at the first session and a little at the second session.

How it would work for alcohol, I am not sure, but it really couldn't hurt and if the person was really keen to work with the therapist and not against them then there would be more chance of it helping, I think,

lots of love,
Brigid
Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
alconaut

Man, if I could afford to do a past-life regression, I'd be all in. Supposedly, that's the dangerous one.

I think it's a great idea..... really Jane. Just do your homework and get someone with years of experience, preferably with references. Anyone can get a certification.

Also..... if you're still ambivalent after reading others' opinions and doing a bit of outside research, you can learn self-hypnosis. There's books out there. I have one, but it's pretty old. I didn't get very far in it, but it was quite a pleasant, relaxing adventure.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your experience sounds really good, Brigid. My mom went to a hypnotist just once for smoking, and it worked--she's not smoked in 10 years.

I guess that ad I keep hearing on the radio sounds too good to be true--just pop in a tape, listen for a bit, and POOF! You're cured! I have to admit it's tempting (always on the lookout for a "quick fix", you know!), but I think I'll check into some books on the subject of self-hypnosis for now (thanks, Autumn). I don't know whether I'll ever try it, but I love to learn about new things.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Janeeyre you are so funny ... You have such a great since of humor I bet if I talked to you in person you would have me rolling laughing... I love reading your post. I love to laugh it is very healing also..... Debs
Old 06-21-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On Thursday evening I think I'm going to a women's AA meeting. They're working on Step 11 so I should learn some tricks or methods of meditating. I think it will be interesting and it sounds not too far off from what you may be doing when you self hypnotize. I think a lot has to do with just getting really relaxed and going deep inside yourself where there is peace and learning to bring it to the surface. I think hypnosis is a process that teaches your brain to automatically respond in a certain way to certain stimuli (that's the way my friend described it), so you can teach yourself to bring up that peace when things get crazy.

like right now, yikes. gotta go
Old 06-21-2006, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MKM

I am a big fan of hypnotherapy, but I have used it for severe insomnia and it almost always works. I have even had custom tapes done for me by professional hypnotherapist.

I prefer the tapes as I would not want to spend the money on repeat visits.

And with a tape I can listen to exactly what is being said that I will be hearing while hypnotized.

I find it very relaxing to the point of falling asleep.

I had not even thought of using it to address alcholism or the desire to drink.