Notices
View Poll Results: How much do you drink in a day?
1-10 pints a day
66.67%
10-15 pints a day
0%
15-20 pints a day
0%
20 + pints a day
33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Help Required

Old 02-14-2003, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aca532

Angry Help Required

I am in desperate need of help, I have been trying to contact anyone that can do this, I am an alcoholic aged 25 male, in the UK, I have recently contacted ACAD, who council in Alcohol & drugs, but I am always missing my appointments with them, because I am out having the drink, which i rely on to get through the day, i am not sure what I would do if it was not there for me to fall back on, I am drinking at least 2 bottles of spirits per day, and need more. I need help to stop me drinking slowley.

Old 02-14-2003, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

aca532

Hi I am an alcoholic, and I know how you feel, I too was drinking daily and needed it to get through the day,

There are some who can control and enjoy there drinking.

I was not one of those who could, I had a lot of fun drinking, but also had a lot of problems, then I got to a point were I had to drink just to make it through the day,

eventualy I did get help, I went to Alcoholics Anonymous,
I have been without a drink for over 6 years now, and I enjoy my life and no longer miss alcohol, I still go to A.A. meetings, and I really enjoy them, and all the new friends I have in A.A.

I would recomend trying A.A.
It is the only thing that worked for me,
here is a link for you to find meetings in your area

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

My best wishes to you
Old 02-15-2003, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Andy.Welcome to the forum.

I too found release from my obsession with alcohol by going to AA meetings.

They worked for when others had failed.

I in and of myself did not have the power to stop drinking on my own.

AA provided for me a network of help, support ,guidance and encouragement and were able to help me to get in touch with a Higher Power of my own understanding.

This relationship with my Higher Power along with the unconditional love and support I receive in AA were two very important factors that allowed me to finally put down the bottle after nearly twenty years.

In the meantime Keep coming back.

Peter.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Still having trouble stopping :(

Andy, you are not alone .. I am having the same problem, getting thru one day without having a drink ... i don't know why but it's just there for me. I am not proud of it .. i hate myself for it but i can't seem to stop either. But .. i do go to AA meetings every single day .. sometimes twice becuase i know i need them, even if i've had a drink i go because i know if i don't i will end up dead somewhere soon. It does help, believe me .. sometimes i wish i could just live there becuse they are they only people who seem to understand me and are able to help me see my problem(s) clearly.

Don't give up .. i'm not even though it's hard every day for me ... find a home group with AA, get a sponsor who you can call anytime day or night who will help you ... God listen to me, i'm giving advice about what to do and i can't seem to do it .. laughing at myself....lol

These rooms in this forum are fantastic .. keep coming back .. just like the meetings ... they do help believe me... when i'm here i don't drink .. when i'm at meetings i don't drink ... when i talk to my sponsor i don't drink ... use everyone you can to help you .. it's not a sin, it's nothing to be ashamed about .. just use who you can ..

I've just had the rug pulled out from under me because of my drinking .. i am learning slowly .. it's not worth it .. believe me it's not.

I don't know if anything i've said will help you but i know it helps me .. take care and i hope you can work thru your problem like all otehrs in here have or are trying to .. we care.. we really do cause we've all been there ..

Take care and just think of one minute at a time .. and try not to drink ...

Liz