Notices

Wanting to re-connect

Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to re-connect

I haven't been here for a while and my sobriety has been on and off. I guess I thought I had it cracked. I've not been doing too bad recently. My last drink was on 8th April. However, a couple of nights ago, I almost drank and it made me realise I can't do this under my own steam.

So I'm back and right now I'm sober.

Both feel good.

Lawry.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's good to see you here again...

Congratulations on your sober time!

Do you have a plan for your new life?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to see you back. You don't have to do this alone.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back,
You are no longer all alone.
Congrats on your soberiety.
Keep on,keeping on
Old 05-27-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lawry,

Welcome back!

I'm not sure we ever have this 'cracked'. It's ongoing, daily hard work, in my opinion.

Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone.

Carol - My plan at the moment is to dedicate regular time to recovery. I went 8 months sober last year and managed that with online support, on this board and others. Then I drifted away because I thought I'd done enough to go it alone. I went on holiday and drank. I even planned to drink before going.

As well as dedicating regular time to reading here, I also plan to carry on my exercise routine which I started about two months ago. It really helps me stay sober. Also eating healthily plays a bit role in my motivation to stay sober.

Mostly though I just need to keep remembering that I'll probably never have it cracked and at any time my defences can crumble.

take care everyone.

Lawry.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds good Lawry...
I do suggest you add some recovery program too.

AA is my way...Take care
Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lawry, Welcome back. I've just after drinking for 3 months
of sobriety. Whatever you do don't go back out. After only 3 days my blackouts returned, I was getting drunk everytime. It really felt like my alcoholism progresed during those 3 years of sobriety. Of course this is my experence. When I picked up it wasn't a slow progression like having a few beers and building up. Three days after picking up I woke up on a bench. About 5 days later I found a hotel in Boston that gave veterans discounts. I stayed there a few time rather than going home about 2 weeks later, I hailed a cab to this hotel. I remember going in the door only. I must have registered for a room and walked out the door. I woke up on a bench near Boston Harbour. I reached in my pockets and found the key card to the room. I wasn't about to back in, so I went to an ATM. Sure enough the $99 had been deducted from my account. There was alot more. The worst being my wife trying to kill herself. We don't just take ourselevs down.The best thing I feel I can share right now is my experence, I hope it make anyone thing twice of going back out. Don W
Old 05-29-2006, 02:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Michael

Don,
Powerful stuff, and a warning to the parade of alcoholics who think they can return to moderate drinking. I know deep within me that it is impossible and a story like yours reinforces that belief.
I sincerely hope that things between you and your wife are on the mend and that your sobriety is supporting her recovery from the trauma of recent times.
Best wishes
Michael