Notices

Ppl sober and those looking to be.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ppl sober and those looking to be.

It just seems like things are changing because those of us trying to get sober are starting debates between those who already are? I don't really get it. Its like a competition between those who are successfully not drinking and using trying to help us who are struggling. I for one don't want to start a battle. I'm already fighting one-with myself

Well, if anyone cares, I didn't drink yesterday and I didn't fill the fridge. Home is my trigger and I'm going to work late tonight. I call my shrink today. I'm going to see if there are some programs for me.

Wish me luck. I'm trying again.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you didn't drink last night Rose, now if you just do today, what you did yesterday......... then you will have 2 days

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-04-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I care Rose. And I'm proud of you. The debates will eventually die down a little but I have a feeling they will always be there to some extent. Partly just human nature and partly because of who "we" are.

Keep up the hard work. I'm proud of you for calling the shrink and looking for some programs. It's a great, brave step.

~doll
Old 05-04-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are trying again...
Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I'm actually eating fruit this morning. I don't think I've done that since I was living with my mom. Its gooooood!!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

good for you! I'm not doing that well with my "self-care". Not eating right these days. Keep it up!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right on!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations and keep up the great work.

This is a "we" program, just remember that. Those that are sober want to help those who are still struggling. It helps us, it helps them, it just helps. I'm sorry you feel like it is a competition. I can only speak for myself when I say it truly is not, it is just an intense desire to share what I've learned the hard way to try and keep others from having to go through it too and frustration at realizing that you can't always do that, that others have to find their own way. I know things are crazy on here at times but I am pulling for you and proud of you!

Kellye
Sobriety date 8/8/04
By God's Grace & AA
Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on staying sober.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rose, you've done well! As far as the "competition" thing goes, I just think that's part of life wherever you go--at work, driving, on the internet, at the grocery store....human nature, ya know?

I hope you have a great day

Jane
Old 05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, home is my worst part. When you live alone and nothing to do. Since I don't have a computer at home and I always cleaned while drinking. Everything seems to be a trigger. I'll tell you whats weird. I also smoke cigs. When I don't drink I don't even want a cig. I kinda wish taht was the other way around. If I smoked cigs I wouldn't want a drink.

Oh well. I'm safe at work for now. Thanks again.
Its good to hear this kinda stuff again.
I'm off to work.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad work is a safe place as far as the drinking goes--is it kind of a relief to be there?

I forgot to say before that I'm glad you're asking your shrink about programs.

Take care...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi OneNice,

Good job!

Have you thought about buying a computer? You can get a used one pretty cheap. Here's what I'm using right now (should give folks a good laugh):

Dell Dimension XPS P200s
Pentium 199 MHz
40 MB RAM

I'd be lucky to get 50 bucks for it! LOL. But... you're reading my messages!!

DK
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm with you DK! Its a bit like sobriety, LOL my Puter works for ME, and thats all that counts

You could get a second hand one cheap as ,Rose, good idea

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Once,
Glad you have decided to go for it again. Trying new things even small things like eating fruit, well, thats a good thing! The simple pleasure in life are what can make us happy.
Maybe look for an internet cafe in your neighborhood that doesnt serve any alcohol, perhaps it would provide a safe haven away from the triggers to drink that lurk at home. Or go to the library after work and then for a small meal, and, well, by then its too late to start drinking.
Take care and good to hear you taking action
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

****{Rose}}}
Hon, it's not "us against them"...
We were where you are at one time and it's so much better here on the other side...that's why we keep trying to throw ya'all a lifepreserver, in one form or another...
Congrats on another day and keep on comming back!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OneNice,
I am glad you are sober today. I hope that people that have some sober time can share what has helped them get that way, and sometimes it may include some super honest feedback - which I think is good, as long as it not mean spirited. IMHO
JMHS
Old 05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

I knew nothing about how to achieve sobriety. I had tried to get sober hundreds of times and failed. That is why I turned towards others who could help guide me to where I wanted to be. I wanted to live a clean and sober life. Throughout my entire adult life, I never knew what sober was. I am not interested in competing with anyone. I wish to help guide those who are in the same place I was a few short years ago. I haven't forgotten how difficult it was to get sober. I learned through trial and error much like most of us do. When I got tired of failing, I thought perhaps what I had been told may hold truth to it. When I know nothing of a subject, I tend to listen to those who are experienced in it. I figure I can learn from that experience. Sometimes things don't always make sense at certain times, then suddenly ahhhhhhh...I get it. With experience comes knowledge. Congratulations on your sober days and good luck.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Rose

Over time you will see that the debates stop. Well ok maybe they don't but the names of the people doing the debating will change.
I know what works because it worked for me. Others know what worked for them. Denial to acceptance is a turning point and debates happen in between.

Thing is though... you are doing it right. Working on what you can do and staying the course.
Congratulations on your growth and days collected. Good job.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
On a tear

For me, the debating happens when I get obsessive.... and I do that. A lot. I used to get that way about drinking... and food ... and smokng .... and shopping ....and working....

Imagine that, I also can be obsessive about how NOT to drink.

Part of the package - a part I can work on - but part of it. And I doubt I am the only one.

(((((Oncenice))))))

ps - congrats on the fresh start!!!!!