Notices

Very Depressed, but still sober

Old 04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Depressed, but still sober

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this, I am 6 1/2 months sober, an have been extremely depressed. This has been going on for about a month with little or no sign of improvement.

I am sleeping alot, eating way too much junk food and generally angry and down in the dumps, I have no energy to exercise and am feeling like a fat lump.

Is this normal?? I was depressed when I was drinking but haven't experienced too much depression since I got sober.

I was thinking about taking meds, but it goes against the "no mind altering substances" thing.

Anyone got any suugestions, I would be very grateful for some insight in this

Love, Rose
Old 04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anti-depressants are not addictive. And if you are lucky.. they will alter your mind. Sometimes you have to try different types and doses, like SSRI's or TCA's or Maoi's. For instance.. Zoloft did not work for me, but Wellbutrin has. My mood is more or less on an even keel. Lot better than being depressed and suicidal, IMO.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Rose.... Hugs

There are many AA members I know who take anti depressants
And they never change their DOS

IMO...what I take and why I take is between
My God My Doctors & Me.

Make an appointment and be honest with your doctor

Do you know about PAWS?

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Blessings....Well done on your sober time!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SSRI helped me immensley.

There is some very good therapy around at the moment called "CBT" for depression.

Doctors are also a great help. Fellow AA members. You'll be alright.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

El Gato,

Thanks, I was taking Wellbutrin when I got sober for about a month and felt that I didn't need them, so I quit. I am thinking of taking them again, just to even out the moods, I will talk to the dr about it.

Carol,

Thank you, I checked out that link and it is exactly what I'm going through, I have been fanticizing about relapse lately too, which makes sense when I read the info. Guess this is what they say about the first year of sobriety, very hard!!

Five

Thanks for the encouragment, I am kind of staying away from people in the program right now, too depressed to be social, but my therapist hopefully will help me get out of this rut.

I have been speaking at AA meetings (qualifying) but even telling my messed up story isn't giving me any hope, I am talking about how hard this is in my qualifications, probably not being very positive about sobriety, but its honest!!

Thanks guys, Love Rose
Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello 'eire Rose'
I Remember Getting Very Depressed Right After Hitting The 6 Month Mark, For No Apparent Reason.
I Have Been On Antidepressants Off And On For 10 Years, I Figure When I First Sober Up Is Not The Time To Wean Off. I Know Lots Of Folks Who Started Taking Antidepressants When They Sobered Up. It Can Be So Hard To Face Everything Head On (sober=son Of A Bitch, Everythings Real)
And The Way I See It, If Antidepressants Play A Part In Whether Or Not You Are Going To Stay Sober, There Is No Harm.
Antidepressants Are Non-addicting.
Other Meds In A Different Class Are, Such As Ativan, Valium, Xanax. Those Are Anti-anxiety. Big Difference.
So If You Are Honest With Your Md About Your Alcoholism, She/he May Very Well Suggest Them. I Say Do What Doc Says
Lily
Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doctor had me on Lexapro for depression for a long time. Yes, sounds like you are suffering from post acute withdrawal syndrome. Go to the doctor, he can prescribe depression meds if he sees fit. And no,....depression meds do not go against sobriety. Meds are meds. Unless you plan on going all 'scientology',....then meds are fine. But WHATEVER YOU DO,......DONT GIVE UP. YOU HAVE SOBRIETY NOW,....DONT THROW IT AWAY BECAUSE OF DEPRESSION. There is NOTHING more depressing to an alcoholic than relapsing after substantial clean time. BELIEVE ME!!! And 6 1/2 months qualifies as substantial clean time.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Rose,
Congrats on your 6 1/2 months, that is just fantastic.
As others have said, talk to your Dr. and do what you need to do.
Antidepressants are not addictive substances and many people, (alcoholic or not) need them. Everyone has rough spots, just be sure and take care of yourself!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with others that it's a good idea to talk to a dr about all this, dr's often can refer you to a therapist too and all.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Erie Rose,
Thank you for posting on this topic. I've been feeling the same sort of things lately, and I quit drinking just over 6 months ago as well. The link Carol put up was excellent...I'm suffering from PAWS as well. You arn't alone!
chip
Old 04-21-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

when i was 6 months sober and feeling the way that you are feeling i was told i am right where i am supposed to be.....we are learning how to deal with life in a whole new way. talk to your doctor, we are only here to show you how we stay sober one day at a time and for those of us in aa how we work the steps in our life.