Notices

Aggrevated...

Old 04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aggrevated...

Well....from the first post i wrote....my drinking has not improved or ceased...Last night was ridiculous. I went directly home from work, skipping my workout, and drank a total of 15 beers during the course of the evening before I went to bed at one.

So here I am at work feeling like **** about it...literally as well.
I think I'm going to seek some help. As I do not think I can do it on my own.

I know AA works well for many, but I am not into the Christianity that seems to be focused on.

I'm rather frigtened, like many are, to stop drinking. All my friends drink. Its very scary to thing about it. I feel as though life will be more boring or lame.

Well thank you all!

Have a Great Day!
Stacy
Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Stacy

AA isn't based so much on Christianity. I would say that it is more a spiritual journey. There are other programs available beside AA as well. SMART happens to be one of them.
I am a Christian and I see AA as falling very short as far as being called a Christian based program.
I was introduced to AA many years before I became a Christian and AA had nothing to do with my becoming a Christian.
AA is a good program that works.
You could go and look past any religious talk as you gather the tools that can help you get through things and onto a sober life.
Take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and welcome,leap and the net will appear.You are no longer all alone,although im sure it feels this way at the moment.But this will pass,in time,and you will have lots of sober friends who can help you on your new beginnings!
All the best of the very best to you,keep on keeping on,Yours in fellowship,
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA may have it's origins in Christianity but was designed to be far more encompassing than that.

Your drinking is in your thinking.

If you can change the ideas in your head you can change your lack of control.

It is unfortunate that AA does not appeal to you because AA is very good when it comes to helping topers change their views about drinking.

In lieu of that perhaps you can try private counselling and self education about alcoholism and recovery from it.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA has nothing to do with religion. I wasnt raised in a religious family WHAT SO EVER!! And I dont like bible thumpers either. I find it annoying. So I felt exactly the same way you do about AA at first. Hesitant. But I knew I was going to die from drinking one day and was ready to do whatever it took. Are you? And as far as your life being lame without drinking? How is drinking workin' out for ya now? Yesterday was Tuesday. You drank 15 beers. Normal? No. I would imagine that most people would think THAT was lame. Boring? Hardly. Who could anyone find boredom within DUI's, Jail time, Court, Court costs, Fees, Suspensions, Revocations, getting fired, losing respect, losing friends, girlfriends, and so on and so on. As far as your friends still drinking and how hard it will be for you not to.... well, if they drink to the extent that you do, then, if you want to get sober, you have to 86 them from your life completely. Get away from wet places, and wet faces. Or else, you will never make it. How much of a chance would you say someone had of quitting smoking if they tried it while hanging out constantly with people who chain smoke? I know it sounds like a tall order to get rid of people in your life. But, this is just that,.....your LIFE. Isnt that the most important thing to you? And you may very well end it by not changing things in it. Nothing changes,.......if nothing changes. You cannot keep doing the same things and expect different outcomes. I know how it feels to think of going the rest of your life without drinking. Its scary. You cant even fathom it. But, trust me,......with some meetings, and a sponsor, and you really and truely wanting it,....that compulsion lifts very very quickly. You will soon be ABLE to invision a life without drinking. A good one!!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I just signed up for SMART. Im hoping to attend an online class this week.

After hearing your replies concerning AA, I might just try it out. Can't hurt giving it a shot.

Thank you soo much for the support and information! I appreciate it greatly.

I'm actually starting to train for a marathon so hopefully that will inspire me not to drink as well.

I'm certainly going to avoid bars, clubs and those of my friends that drink for at least some time.

The worst part of being an alcoholic is wanting to quit so badly and relapsing. One day I'm very postitive about quiting....the next I'm dying for a beer and usually give in.

Stacy
Old 04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I was willing to go to any lengths for my recovery when the pain ripped me apart. I am willing to wear a yamakuh, white robes and sing the hari krishna song if it meant Id be free of my addiction.

Thats what it means to be willing.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do hope you can find recovery....it is so awesome!...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Well.. AA doesn't "officially" have to do with religion but I do hear in AA meetings a lot of people who have found strength in God. That's awesome really because that's their God. My God is soley my own and I don't have a bit of unease about someone else finding strength in theirs. When I say Higher Power or God I mean it in my own interpretation of what that means to me. It isn't for anyone else but me. So, while you do hear a lot about God and giving it over to God and this n' that about God... God is whatever God is to you - it might just be your own inner-higher power.

It is what it is to you and isn't anyone elses business unless you choose to share it with them.

What I found in AA more was interaction with people who knew exactly where I had been in drinking... where it led me... how I got there... how I stayed there for so long inspite of the insanity of my actions of continued drinking... and at times knew just what to share with me to get something inside me to "click" and I would have one of those "Ah Hah" moments that would help me through one more day. I love the people from AA more than the program of AA. For me, that's what is working and if it's working... it's working and I am not going to poke a stick at it to ask why.

It is what it is... to me.

Hang in there and seek out alternatives to AA if you can't get around the religious tones. There are tons of specifically non-religious - some proudly so - addiction and alcohol support groups out there. I'm sure Don S can direct you to the various resources available to you.

Peace to you and keep fighting the good fight!

Suga
Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

I know AA works well for many, but I am not into the Christianity that seems to be focused on.
Stacy[/QUOTE]

Yes i must agree AA works and as for the Christianity thing I think you got it wrong
REmember this little rule ""Christianity is for people who dont want to go to HELL.....
Spritiualishm is for those who have been to HELL and DONT want to go back..""
Keeping this in mind its your choice as to what to do about your SOBRITY,