Notices

Today is the longest I have been sober but....

Old 04-08-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the longest I have been sober but....

Today marks the longest I have been sober (14 days) since I can remember. Probably since I was 16 years old. I have some questions about a few things I have been experiencing.

1. I seem to be very tired during the day and then sometimes have trouble falling asleep at night. I also seem to need at least 8 hours of sleep everynight. Will this get better? By the way I am eating healthy and exercising everyday.

2. I have bouts of anger where I can do is think about how bad I want to fight past friends. These are friends I would drink with until a few weeks ago. Is all this just me being overemotional?

3. I am taking a semester off from college to hopefully get my life back on track and I am very lonely right now. The loneliness is the worst part but I am dealing with it. But, I seem to snap and lash out and get upset with my parents over the littlest things.

4. I feel like I know who I am but at the same time I feel like I have lost myself or need to find myself again....I feel very confused about this and don't know what to do.. help!!

5. At certain times during the day (not today though) I will have a sort of natural high just thinking about how good life is going to be for me and I start thinking, or fantisizing I guess, of how wonderful my life is going to be. I see myself as sucessful, rich, very happy, lots of good friends, etc. Then reality hits me pretty hard and I come back down.

I would love to hear everyones experiences, thoughts, ideas, advice, anything....Has anyone else had similar
Old 04-08-2006, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

You did a good self evaluation.
I didn't dig that deep. I just knew I had an attitude and crappy outlook at life.
Two things I know that work to help with all that you write of...
Seek out AA meetings and work through the 12 steps of recovery and or...start reading the bible and gather the wisdom found in it.
Both ways will help you see tyhe mindset of your feelings and emotions and both will give you answers on how to deal with them for a more peaceful life.

There are solutions and answers. A sponsor and working the 12 steps of recovery will guide you through to each answer.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA is the way I stay in balamce with life.

Well done on your sober time!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on the 14 days. It ain't easy. As far as being confused and exhibiting erratic
behavior, this is all normal when someone is drying out in my opinion. The fog is lifting and things will look diferently in the future. Your mind will become more clear and your
emotions will stabilize down the road.

As far as being rich and successful goes, good luck to you. You have a shot at attaining these things if you stay sober. There is no chance of chasing your dreams if you go back to drinking. Instead, you'll be running away from your nightmares. The choice is yours.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I start thinking about how good things can be usually when I'm driving and listening to music. I know they are not realistic thoughts though. But it does make me happy for a little while i guess.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA helped me (and still helps me) deal with ALL of the things you listed...

When I share with another alcoholic, or group of alcoholics, I somehow always get the solutions I need.

Congrats on 14 days!

Ken
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive
Today marks the longest I have been sober (14 days) since I can remember. Probably since I was 16 years old. I have some questions about a few things I have been experiencing.

1. I seem to be very tired during the day and then sometimes have trouble falling asleep at night. I also seem to need at least 8 hours of sleep everynight. Will this get better? By the way I am eating healthy and exercising everyday.

2. I have bouts of anger where I can do is think about how bad I want to fight past friends. These are friends I would drink with until a few weeks ago. Is all this just me being overemotional?

3. I am taking a semester off from college to hopefully get my life back on track and I am very lonely right now. The loneliness is the worst part but I am dealing with it. But, I seem to snap and lash out and get upset with my parents over the littlest things.

4. I feel like I know who I am but at the same time I feel like I have lost myself or need to find myself again....I feel very confused about this and don't know what to do.. help!!

5. At certain times during the day (not today though) I will have a sort of natural high just thinking about how good life is going to be for me and I start thinking, or fantisizing I guess, of how wonderful my life is going to be. I see myself as sucessful, rich, very happy, lots of good friends, etc. Then reality hits me pretty hard and I come back down.

I would love to hear everyones experiences, thoughts, ideas, advice, anything....Has anyone else had similar

Guess what??...........You should be proud of yourself. You are doing this right. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. Yes,..all this is normal. And yes, all this does subside. The sleeping takes a while. But, soon you will be sleeping like a baby all night and waking up feeling great. The friends thing,....may be resentment. Resentment for drinking WITH you all this time. Sort of like you're mad at them for enabling you. But who knows? If they are abusing alcohol still then they should be out of your life anyways. So it doesnt matter. You will get over that too. You sound like you are doing fantastic. Good job!!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, sounds like early recovery - nothing to be afraid off.

In AA they say take it easy, but take it!

Just keep on the right track mate, and I am sure you will straighten out.

Discomfort is part of the process. What did Socrates say: confusion then wisdom.

It will come...give time, time.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

try to keep in mind
it's still thge alcohol talking
so
do your best
and
this, too, shall pass

best
fraankie
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Welcome
On 1st This is very common in the begining and yes it will pass give it some time and the sleeping patern will return.
2nd the anger bouts will come and go in the beginning its what we do with them that makes us stronger in the end. Remember you in a new lifestyle but your head is still in the booze, anger was managed in blackouts(talkinging myself) so i never saw them.
3rd in this time that you have taken off go to as many meetings as posible this will help you biuld a good AA fondation andwill help in later life
On the last two pionts this is somethink that you must yourself sort out and its good to be on the pink cloud.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hoping you are sober
even longer today