Notices

detox questions

Old 01-22-2003, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

detox questions

can detoxing from alcohol on your own kill you? I heard that a few times.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It depends on what you mean by detoxing.

If you mean simply not drinking anymore, then it is unlikely that this will be fatal. Depending on how much you are currently drinking you may experience many physical symptoms, some of them severe. There is probably no more risk to life than there is in taking physical exercise.

The emotional pain is more dangerous, because when sobering up many peoples emotions are like a roller coaster ride. I needed support from my family, and from people in AA who knew from their own experience what I was going through.

If, on the other hand you mean some sort of regime where you take all sorts of "natural" products to cleanse your body...
There are a lot of people who take all sorts of stuff, feel better, and claim all sorts of healing powers for the product they took. When listening to their advice remember that they are drunks who made these decisions when sobering up.
ANYONE who sobers up will feel healthier and have more energy than they can remember having for a long time.

When I was sobering up I drank plenty of water and juice and ate as well as I could.

There are many ways and experiences, just don't let indecision about HOW to sober stop you from DOING IT.

Michael
Old 01-23-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Detoxing

Yes, it can be fatal. I knew someone who died trying to self-detox. It really depends on what you are drinking and how much. Street people die everyday coming off of mouthwash and rubbing alcohol. Hard liquor can be fatal as well. It also depends on the current state of health when the detox starts. I detoxed 3 times in treatment centers before I finally got the program. My 3rd detox was so bad I thought I was going to die. I would play it safe. If you have insurance, go to a treatment center. You will also get information on the disease and how to start recovery. Most treatment centers are very expensive. If you do not have insurance, there are hospitals in every major city that will give you a medical detox. It is not a cushy as a treatment center, but if the delierium tremors get violent, you will be in good hands. Yes, there are some prople who detoxed without supervision, and they did not die. My sponsor was one of them. Either way, a detox is no fun, but if you drink like most of us did, you will definitley feel better after a few days than when you when you were drinking.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mwaggles

First I must tell you I am no expert at withdrawal, and I am not a doctor, I only know how it was for me,

I have seen a lot of people stop drinking on there own, I dont personaly know of anybody dying from it, but have heard stories,

I know I didnt drink as much as some of us, an average weekday was probly like 2 pints of whiskey and a 12 pack, but on the weekends it was a lot more, I drank daily for 20 years, and tried to quit several times, but could not. in the last year of my drinking I was hospitalized twice for drinking, I finally ended up in a detox center for a week, I got sober and stayed sober.
I know I couldnt have done it by myself.

I think one of the main things keeping me from quiting, was the fear of withdrawl,
I knew I needed to quit, but I was in a mindset that I could't imagine going on the way I was, and I couldnt imagine life without alcohol either.

keep coming back

Jay Walker