Notices

I am about to fail

Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am about to fail

I feel it coming.

I have been sober for 7 days now.

My husband is out of town for 2 days. This is a huge trigger for me to drink. I feel very weird and vulnerable when I am alone. I do strange things. Like lapse into a bought of bulimia and binge drinking. I don't really know why I do this. I just do it when I am all alone.

Anyway, I recently went back to nursing because I am not making as much money as I need to be with my art gallery. So I am sad about this. I work hard, 12 hours on my feet, then come home to an empty house because my son is visiting his grandparents and my husband is on a business trip. The only reason I did not drink today is because the shop is closed by the time I get off my shift at the hospital. And I didn't think I was going to want to drink so badly after work, so I didn't plan for it by buying alcohol before my shift. So, this feels like failing already.

Right now, I am only sober by default. Not because I made an effort to be sober right now. I couldn't get drunk if I wanted to.

But tomorrow, it will be the same situation.

I don't know if I can resist picking up some wine before my shift starts tomorrow, knowing how badly I am going to want...NEED...a drink when I get off.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zilla
I don't know if I can resist picking up some wine before my shift starts tomorrow, knowing how badly I am going to want...NEED...a drink when I get off.
Hi Z,
How bad do you "want"....."NEED'...to stay sober??? Do you want sobriety bad enough to call AA and talk to someone about what's going on? You don't have to be alone.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You could always go to a meeting , after work

Believe me, Zilla, I know that feeling SO well. I am a Nurse too, and always brought my booze before my shift in case i got off late.
Can you go for a coffee after work with some work mates? or go for ya run, or ask friends over for a meal,

Hang in there Zilla, play the tape to the end.Remember the sober time you have, and how you will feel in the morning after you have the booze. How proud you will feel when you have resisted, and your husband comes home, to find you are still sober

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-07-2006, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zilla
The only reason I did not drink today is because the shop is closed by the time I get off my shift at the hospital. Right now, I am only sober by default.
Doesn't matter, we all need a few lucky breaks along the way to keep us going. I'm in a very similar situation (5 days sober) had a huge crisis today and almost went to the shop to buy wine but not sure if they serve before 10am or is it 11am so logged on here to find time to think and re-evaluate and made a cup of herbal tea and read a post that inspired me and just as I was re-thinking, the phone rang and it was my boyfriend asking how I was. I told him about the (non-alcohol-related crisis) and he came right home. We're now dealing with it and I'm so glad I made it through this morning even if it was by default. The rest of the day is my own to make it through on my own merit.

Stay strong
((((hugs))))
Molly
xx
Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zilla,

When my husband was away it was a huge trigger for me too. I was a 'closet' drinker, so of course, if I was alone I was free to do my own thing. I hated it. What I learned was that it was my lack of caring about myself that allowed me to do this. In order to stop drinking when I was alone (or any time) I had to start to love myself enough to know that what I was doing was killing me.

And, sometimes sober by default is ok too!!

You can do this. It's not easy, but you can get through it.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Zilla...

It's my experience, and that of many folks who've shared their experience with me, that we often put a lot of effort into planning our drinking. Therefore, in order to stay sober, I had to put some effort into planning my recovery. First, I had to seek help (for me, rehab came first, but many do it without rehab). I had to get a meeting list, I had to plan to attend meetings, and once there, I had to start building my phone list so that when I felt tempted, I had someone to call who knew exactly what I felt. I had to listen closely to other women share because I needed a sponsor. I had to pick up the Big Book and start reading it. I planned and carried out the actions. Between my guidance, my efforts, and the fellowship, I stayed sober as a result.

Eventually, something else that helped me was, once I made sobriety a choice in my heart, I crossed "a drink" off my mental list of ways to deal with a problem or situation. I actually visualized this...crossed it off with permanent marker! The only way it again becomes an option is if I consciously add it.

If you're really uncomfortable planning your next drunk, how about planning your recovery? Granted, regardless of which you choose to do, you'll get equivalent results.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Check this out...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Take care...
Old 02-07-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like lapse into a bought of bulimia and binge drinking.
Hey sister.. ;o)

I'd add drugs to that as well though...
I'd feel the tingle as soon as I knew I was going to be alone for a certain period of time...
Go out.. stock up on whatever...
and then do my thing...

.. alone...

Gurl... you do not want to do this anymore...
Cause I know what's on the other side.. and my soul is aching for you already...

You can do this....

You must realize that with the combination of purging and boozing... you could easily blow a vein in your head .. or your heart could stop... and all your problems would be over...

This is dangerous behavior... and I think you really really need to stop minimizing what could possibly happen to you over it.

.. or don't you care.

I am here... cause I got past it.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep in mind that it might be unpleasant but it won't kill you to resist the urges.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is what you make it!

Zilla...I feel for you right now....you have done great so far! Imagine how great you'll feel if you get through this tough time without the booze! Just try to keep busy, and make sure to eat some good filling things....I've found if I eat healthy and don't allow myself to get famished I don't have urges as often or as bad. Also taking a relaxing bath or indulging in a good book will keep you busy until your husband comes home. Like maybe try to plan something special for "you" for when you get home from work. I know it's easier said than done but it won't help anything to drink! Just know my thoughts are with you today. Maybe this little guy can put just a little smile on your face Have a nice day :ValA017:
Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Hi Zilla!

Wow a week! That was my first huge milestone... I had never been able to make it that far before. YOU did that... YOU did and no one else. Not your husband, not your job, not your circumstances YOU. It is a really good thing you are seeing your triggers now while you can set up a plan to support yourself before your husband goes away. I agree with everyone else... GET a plan of action and find some meetings and get that support. There are sooooo many people you can reach out to that can help you through this patch of temptation. Seek out meetings in your area and get up and talk about it... ask people for phone numbers and give yours out too and ask them to call and check up on you. Use the numbers you have and never hesitate to call upon them for support - they won't let you down.

You can do this... you really can. Just get through today and worry about tomorrow - tomorrow.

Post often and keep busy!

Suga
Old 02-07-2006, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to your ansy feeling while your husband is away. That's exactly how I felt. This is the first time I've made it past 7 days ever and now I'm coming up on 2 weeks. If you just work through your feelings as tough as they are, you will get past the urge to drink and then you can add another successful day to your count. Instead of grabbing a drink, call someone, go online and look up meeting times, take a shower, whatever to pass a few minutes. Usually once the painful instant passes it's hard to give into drinking after the fact.
And it wouldn't hurt to try a meeting. You may hear some things that relate to you and you'll feel a whole world of support.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am so glad for the feedback here, it means so much to me. You have no idea...

Yes I know I will feel terrible if I drink to deal with the lonliness...

A meeting isn't possible as I would need to drive quite a distance in the middle of the night, but I can at least come here when I get home.

I have been thinking a lot and praying. I don't want to drink to get past this. I don't want to ruin what I have accomplished this far.

I am afraid though, that I won't be this strong later, after work. So I am going to NOT go to the shop before work to gaurd against that. If I don't have access to alcohol, I can't get drunk. No matter how badly I want to.

It would be nice to have somewhere safe to go where I would not have to be alone, but I work mostly with a crowd of CNA's, one doctor, and then me. None of whom I am friendly with beyond work-related matters. So once again, at least I can come here.

Originally Posted by bikewench
Hey sister.. ;o)
You must realize that with the combination of purging and boozing... you could easily blow a vein in your head .. or your heart could stop...
Yes, I do realize that...which is what mainly keeps me from relapsing into bulimia when I am sober. I have had a few very scary experiences. But once I start drinking, all that good sense goes right out the window, hence the pattern of purging while drunk.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there Zilla , we are with you in this , just hold the thought of how proud you will be when you resist that first urge, and practise is good , once youve dealt with it once , you will find it easier next time , and have the 'tools" in ta toolbox LOL

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I could write a lot of garbage as to what you should or shouldn't do.

I do know, I live in a positive frame of mind. I call people in AA when, there's not a meeting going on. I visit on here to read and write.

Do you keep a daily log of your feelings? I did for the first 2 years I was sober. Don't isolate your self. Stay with people that are upbeat. Have you got any friends or family you can tell them what's going on? A good family or friend will help you out just as well.

Stay busy and focused. have you got any goals in mind you can be working on now?

One last thought, you're worth it, don't let the disease tell you you're not!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody...

So, I did not fail! I was so sure I would. I just made sure to make a few precautions...the major one being limiting my access to alcohol when I know I was going to feel weak.

So, now this is day # 8 and I did NOT fail!

I am going to bed now, and I am really proud of myself. But also really grateful that I have a place like this to come to with all these great people that give me the support I need so badly. Thank you all. I appreciate you so much.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!

Fantastic Zilla , I am so proud of you

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's great to hear Zilla. Each time you resist it really does get easier. The difficult thing is that it's also easy to let your guard down. Keep doing what you're doing and try to get another day under your belt.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Rock on Zilla.. !!!