Notices

quick dumb question

Old 12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quick dumb question

I have looked for a answer for this question and cant find anything. Its not a big deal just something that has me curious. When I am at a AA meeting or somewhere else and it is my turn to talk in front of a group of people I seem to clam up and talk jibberish. I am not sure if the many years of drinking or me suffering a stroke years ago or my shyness is the cause of this. I do get some weird thaughts in my head that is why I am asking. I can be sitting there listening to others talk and a thaught comes to mind on what the subject matter is but when it is my turn then I spurt out jibberish lol. I'm not going to let it bother me, it just has me thinking maybe I have brain damage from the many years of drinking.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey there, Okie--I OFTEN feel the same way. However, when I ask if people understood what I am saying, they say they do. I think it might just be a problem with perception. (Imagine that! An alcoholic with a perception problem.) Perhaps it is the same with you? Regardless, take it easy on yourself. No one is perfect. Maybe try slowing down when you talk. Sometimes I get going to fast and my brain can't keep up with my mouth. That's one of the reasons I like SR so much. I can edit what I type, and delete anything that doesn't sound right!!!

Hang in there--
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lulu70
Hey there, Okie--I OFTEN feel the same way. However, when I ask if people understood what I am saying, they say they do. I think it might just be a problem with perception. (Imagine that! An alcoholic with a perception problem.) Perhaps it is the same with you? Regardless, take it easy on yourself. No one is perfect. Maybe try slowing down when you talk. Sometimes I get going to fast and my brain can't keep up with my mouth. That's one of the reasons I like SR so much. I can edit what I type, and delete anything that doesn't sound right!!!

Hang in there--
Yea your right, just as i said a dumb question lol oh well I guess I have been thinking too much this weekend. lol
Old 12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gee I never know what I am going to share.
I open mouth and begin.

Today I started on the topic... from "As Bill Sees It"
on Pain=Growth.
I ended talking about SR!

All in 3 minutes!

Let's you and I keep sharing...let the listeners sort it out.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too used to find that I had something to share at the meeting but when my turn came I could not string my thoughts together.

I discovered if I carried a pen and a very small piece of paper in the palm of my hand I could scribble a few "cue" words on it which help me to keep my mind focused.

No one minded and no one seemed to notice. You could always jokingly tell them it's "conference approved literature".

I don't need the pen and paper anymore and I know in time you wont either.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

After many dumb and stupid and thoughtless things said by me to people, I have come to realise that the one who is hardest in judgement is me. Anyone who can't see that I am making an effort, makes less of an effort than me. I get better with practice, look back and laugh at my mistakes.

Why isn't life perfect, why can't I always get it right? Because if I could then I would already know it all and life would be bloody boring! Have fun talking, I am sure that you are better than some and not as good as others, have fun.

love brigid
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Peter

I discovered if I carried a pen and a very small piece of paper in the palm of my hand I could scribble a few "cue" words on it which help me to keep my mind focused.
Works well for me.
Brain farts happen to all of us and I use the same.(when I remember)
If a planned talk, I don't like reading from notes but I will have them for cue words and try to talk freely from my heart.

When sharing and I want to say... Let me be transparent...what is in my thought and what comes out are not the same *LOL*
Thinking transparent but may say...superficial *LOL* NOT the same at all. Cue words do help.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would bet many of us have been through that.I know I have.Share from your heart.Thats all that matters.