Notices

introducing myself

Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

introducing myself

I have been asked to introduce myself and tell a little about myself so I am:

I have been sober 13 years and live a very full, active life so my posting here maybe sporadic. If you post a question for me and I don't respond send me an email and I will get back you as soon as I am able.

I live in Toronto, I am a professional and I own my own business. I believe that life is for the living and when I die if I don't try everything I want to, I will have regrets and I am not a fan of regrets. As such I am active in sports, politics, clubs, ratepayers organisations, and social clubs. I also love to travel but don't do it as much as I want to.

I am a big fan of will power. I think it can do wonders when properly applied. I used to attend AA a long time ago but haven't now for eons. One of my philosophies in life is constant improvement is a must. There are millions of people who have a problem with drinking and drugs, traditional approaches to help them has netted some pretty miserable results. As such I believe in looking for alternatives. I know this won't be popular here and I will be a target for some. I have a healthy self esteem so if people dislike me, it won't affect me. I am pretty thick skinned.

I have volunteered for years in treatment facilities, dry houses, and detoxes. Recently I pulled back as I was burning out.

Family and friends are important to me so I spend alot of time with them whenever I am able. I also loves kids and animals and nothing will turn a bad day into a good one like spending time with them.

For the most part I am a happy camper enjoying and living life. I have been fortunate that my hard work in life met good timing so professional success has been good to me.

Now regarding spirituality and religion. I don't actively practice any religion, I bounce back and forth between atheist and agnostic. However the word God doesn't offend me and neither does prayer. Only if you try to foist your views on me will I get testy. I have happily celebrated Christmas, Easter, Passover, Yom Kippur, Dwali and Eid with friends. Toronto is pretty multi-cultural so I am blessed with wonderful friends from diverse backgrounds. I am intrigued by Buddhism and I have a read a few books on it. I also have done some yoga which I found physically and emotionally rewarding.

Anyway that is enough for now. I will help anyone whenever I am able and I wish all here the best of luck in their recovery.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Taiman...
Welcome to SR...
Your 13 years of sobriety is certainly an inspiration to me.
We are a special group of folks around here and most any form of recovery is welcome.... the goal is to live healthier and fuller lives free from our addictions.
I was glad to see that you have been looking at alternatives to the traditional approaches to recovery.

Looking forward to having you here.
Sincerely
Kel

Last edited by KelKel; 12-01-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
alconaut

Welcome to SR, Taiman!

Nothing in life is perfect, but we can all accept it and move on.

I look forward to reading about your experiences in recovery.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums Taiman.

Despite our different views about AA it seems we have a few things in common...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
alconaut

Tai

I noticed that few have come forward to welcome you, and I have given that some thought.

I think that collectively, they may feel insulted, perhaps not because of what edged on personal attacks, but the "mindless drones" comment as well. It is personal to them.

Many of the AAers here began AA as their only hope and struggled with it for a long time, before other methods of recovery became available. Some didn't struggle; it came naturally for them. But whatever the case, AA is somewhere they call home, where there is a deep sense of fellowship, and brother/sisterhood.

Most of the AAers here are extremely bright, yet sensitive individuals - just like us non-AAers, right? And yes, maybe some might be threatened by certain truths about AA, because they have no desire or need to second-guess what has worked for them, and cling to what they have for dear life. Much of life is experimental and full of learning experiences, so if there is anyone who doesn't find recovery there, they will have learned from that in their own way.

Some of them are my friends. And that being said, I empathize with how they feel. Though I am not a member of AA, there are times when I feel so much love and enlightenment from that department, that it becomes a struggle for me in my own path, because I ache for the closeness they share. I can only use what my current understanding will allow me to. Much of the program I may never agree with. But I love them just the same.

What I think, Taiman, is that all they expect is a simple apology - no more, and no less - and to respect their chosen path of recovery. Because to them, it is a smart program. And I think I have yet to hear one of those AA members come right out and bash other methods, and not one of them has ever told me I would "die" without AA.

Any debater of AA/alternative methods of recovery is almost always respectful of the opposing viewpoint on this site.

I hope all of this can be worked out.

Peace, Tai.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Taiman:
Welcome to SR.... I have to ask -- were you really born in 1921?

Not that it matters, just curious....

I really liked what you said about Constant Improvement -- we are either growing or dying... there is no status quo...

Friends I hope...

Ken
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Hey Taiman, welcome to SR. I am reasonably new here too, did not do the AA path but no doubt there is plenty of room for different ways of becoming sober.

I do like the philosophy of "live and let live", your way works for you, my way works for me, their way works for them. Who cares, aren't we just trying to get the same end product. There are a lot of posts from different people here, sometimes one thing helps one person, sometimes something different helps another. Who can say what will or won't help a particular person. Adding your experiences here will help someone, and maybe help you too. Come in peace, not in war.

A comment on those statistics; they really show how hard it is to fight this disease, not the success rate of AA. Alcoholism is the problem, lets not get all excited about the recovery program and which is best. Good to see that there are a lot of options.

The more I find out about AA, the more I realise I have done the steps in my own way. And I have found real growth and peace reading here, many AA contributions, I just relate to what is relevant to me. I like the 12th step, helping other alcoholics ... circular type of benefit ... me ... them ... me ... them ... sharing. I think that this is really important to me staying sober into my future as well, it seems that you have also found this.

Great to have another positive person who has much to share with us, WELCOME! I too have become busy in many things and want to continue life long growth - I like most of your philosophy! (Don't know about the will power bit - but hey, agree to disagree right)

love brigid
5 years behind you, looking up to you

so how old are you?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Taiman I am a newbie and going to try AA and see how that feels. It is cool how there are diverse methods of staying sober represented on the board. It's healthy to have opinions and ideas from various points of view. IMHO

So Welcome Man
Old 12-02-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Taiman.
It's good that we are all here to support eachother. I also no longer go to AA but I credit AA for my sobriety. I was certainly incapable of putting down the glass on my own.
I haven't been to a meeting for many years and I believe AA taught me how to live life outside the doors of the fellowship, though I know I am always welcome there. AA was my safe haven when I was trying to get sober. Have been sober now for 24 years and like you I have a full and happy life.

All the very best to you.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Michael

Taiman,
Welcome to SR, it's good to see how long you have been sober and that gives me hope and confidence in the future. SR is a wonderful resource where we can all benefit from one another's experiences, problems and hardships. I have never felt that my peers on this site have taken either a moralistic or a paternalistic attitude and I hope that that ethos continues to inform our discussions.
I went to AA for the first couple of months of my sobriety and I credit the organisation with getting me off on the right track. I no longer go to meetings, for reasons I won't bore you with, but I remain grateful for the start I was given.
I am a disciple of will-power and rationality and have said so on many occasions when I have posted and replied to posts here, at the same time I have never knocked AA and I never will. I have never been attacked or criticised for my beliefs in a non-AA approach to sobriety because I always try to be respectful and sincere. Any concern about personal attacks for expressing a well argued belief on this site would appear groundless.
Alcoholic addiction is many faceted and the "cure" for it is a very personal one for each and every one of us, whatever works, works.
I was intrigued by Autumn's reference to "mindless drones", I assume that the reference arose from another post.
Michael
Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome all. My reference to drones was very specific and not directed at all members of AA or any one specific member of AA. If you took offence to it, ask yourself if you resemble the comment, if not no sweat, if so change. I encourage all people to use their brain, to think critically, to ask questions, to analyse, to evaluate. It is your life and your recovery, participate in it.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Taiman,im from good ole Toronto also,lived there for many,many years.Had to move because of hubs work-place moved out of Rexdale.I luv Toronto,and miss it,but go there from time to time,.
Lots a great AA and Al-anon meetings there.Ever go to the AA meeting up on the hill?I think most everyone have at one time or another,,,smile...I am an AA member,and have found that all my problems have had/and are having spiritual solutions.
Keep on,keeping on,and congrats on 13 years sober,way to go!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Taiman. Hi good to meet you

Congrats on your 13 years!!!

That's HUGE.

Hope to get there myself someday.

Keep well,

Mongo
Old 12-04-2005, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mongo
Congrats on your 13 years!!!

Hope to get there myself someday.
Don't hope - just DO. Hope is only for things over which you have no control. Like, "I hope the Packers don't look too pathetic today."

In terms of your sobriety - say, "I WILL get there myself someday".

The wisest muppet in the universe once said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Yank
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome to SR!! And congratulations on your 13 years.

Life is so wonderful when I live it sober!! That is our goal here. To share with others what has gotten us where we are today.

Missy
Old 12-04-2005, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by YankInHolland
Don't hope - just DO. Hope is only for things over which you have no control. Like, "I hope the Packers don't look too pathetic today."

In terms of your sobriety - say, "I WILL get there myself someday".

The wisest muppet in the universe once said, "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Yank
Yep, if other people can do it, you can do it. Even if other people haven't done it, you CAN do it. Well, except for flying or turning invisible and for me maybe playing the violin is a no hoper. But there is lots of stuff that we want to do that we limit by not having confidence.

love brigid
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to SR

nice to meet you