Notices

Hola! 'nother noob here...(X-post)

Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hola! 'nother noob here...(X-post)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to keep my intro brief, but in a nutshell, here is my deal...
I am definitely an alcoholic, and have been for 20 years, at least.
I have had *limited* success, in two brief phases, with AA...but in general, I always came to a point where I resented AA more than the chaos of drinking..I know, I have heard all of the reflexive arguments as to why that may have been (and continues to be) the case. I came to AA the first time when I was 19, through the backdoor...I was in recovery for a coke problem, and somehow got into the AA thing over the NA thing. It worked for a year and a half, after which I went to study abroad, and started drinking socially...(Interestingly, I have not touched cocaine since Christmas day, 1985...and have never desired it, or even thought about it much since then).
The drinking continued, and of course, got progressively worse. For 9 years I settled into a 8-11 drink day, every day. I would drink three or four socially, and ther rest alone. This, of course, eventually dead ended me in a relationship and work capacity, so after hitting a bottom of sorts, I tried AA again. Worked for about a year, quit going to meetings, stayed sober...till I got sick of the pathetic social scene available in my TINY town, met a girl, started drinking again, and, hey, whaddya now, hooked up for the first time since I got sober!
Anyhoo, I have been maintaining a steady 8-10 a day habit, and I am sick of it...but I am NOT interested in what AA has to offer. I am more than happy to open dialogue here as to possible alternatives, but to me, AA is just a bit too self righteous, dogmatic, and rigid for my personal tastes, and ideological bent.
I hope anyone is interested in sharing their success stories without the god-fix, I know it has worked for many many people as well.
Thanks to anyone who reads this, I do, all things said, have an open mind, and I do respect that the faith-based/disease mamagement model has worked quite well for millions...maybe I just enjoy being an anomoly!
Cheers, Dipso
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I left AA for simular reasons. Its not unusual for people to do that.

What alternatives are there: I use a bit of SMART recovery, a bit of Secular Organisation for Sobriety, and - of course - Sober Recovery. Most of all, I use myself, and not rely to heavily on anything.

I believe there are now, thank God, enough alternatives for people to make better choices (and better chances) in their recovery process.

And, as I am sure you are well, this is all just words, if you don't put down the drink.

Check this link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nfo-76726.html

And keep in touch...you can do this pal...
Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, 5, I know what I in for...

Hopefully I can use this forum to bounce the frustrations of the first days off on others. I know how hard it is, and I harbor no illusions. Bit of a dilemma, though, ironically, I am a bit addicted to forum surfing...I find that kind of funny, actually. I hope there are others posting at odd hours, i think I will be utilising this resource. I am hoping to supplant the craving tonight with exercise and busywork, but I don't know...I am struggling with the 'taper off' rationale right this moment, already projecting as to how I am going to feel at 9:00 PM...but I figure honesty ahead of time about it is better that making that rash decision on my own.
Thanks, Dipso
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Good to

see you came over to our forum!

In early sobriety....I had no computer and lived alone.

I do remember timing those drinking urges...I think mine were lasting about 5-7 minutes.

I vrushed my teeth a lot..... for some reason it helped.
Also drank oodles of liquid.
I drank from a large mug with a straw cause it did not
remind me of a 'real" drink.

As you know...the urges lessen in severity and frequency as long as you stay sober.

See you later...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What the **** is an ANOMOLY???????????

and i havent had any sucess with aa, but that doesn't mean you stop trying, right.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anomoly..

anomaly

a·nom·a·ly [ ə nómməlee ] (plural a·nom·a·lies)

noun

Definitions:

1. irregularity: something that deviates from the norm or from expectations
"looking for anomalies in the blood tests"

2. peculiarity: something strange and difficult to identify or classify
"The space probe has encountered an anomaly."

I never thought that to be an esoteric word...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, we have a new brain in the family, i thought it was a monster or something.

anyway you didn't answer the second question.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Second question?

That appeared to me to be purely rhetorical...so, here I am killing time on this board instead of cracking a cold one...I guess that is good, right?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what the **** is retretical. and ya your right your killing time ( with me - thats not nice)
Old 11-15-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

google it.

Originally Posted by dizzyj
what the **** is retretical. and ya your right your killing time ( with me - thats not nice)
And you should cut n' paste...'retretical' is not, currently, a word with a valid meaning.

It is Rhetorical
Old 11-15-2005, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Dipso!! Welcome to SR!! Keep reading and posting, it's better then drinking!!

Find a recovery program that is right for you.

Glad you're here.
Missy
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

cut and what .... who's mean
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, Missy, that is more like it...

I could argue etymology all day, but would it keep me from being bad? Well, I guess it might! It's gonna be a tough week...
Thanks for the well wishes. I am a realist, and I know this is going to be hard.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Yep, early sobriety is tough. But you know it gets easier, unlike drinking, that seems to just get worse!!

I go to AA, so that's really all I know as a recovery program. Sorry I can't be of more help. What I do know, is my life is alot better without the booze!!

It's definately worth it to work through those tough times without drinking!!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i thought i was helping?????