Notices

alcoholism, some questions

Old 10-31-2005, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholism, some questions

I am 26 now. Since I was 23 or so, I would drink probably 3-4 drinks a few nights a week, and heavy (7-9 drinks) on the weekends. For a long time I never thought I had a problem, since I was always good to go the next day, and I was able to not drink whenever I wanted. Then I started noticing things. Like if there were 5 beers left, I would feel compelled to finish the case even though I had said I would only have 2, since I had to get up early the next morning. Or I might only have a few glasses of wine left, but I'd go out and get more. Or I might start drinking at 2pm on a weekend, just because I was bored.

Finally at my annual physical my doc said my liver values were high. That really made me think I had a problem. It's been a few weeks now since I stopped drinking, and it has been pretty hard. I havent been to an AA meeting, frankly because I'm too scared. I am a very shy person. I guess I have to deal with that some time too.

Will I ever be able to drink again, like once my liver value get back to normal? Or will it always trigger this cycle?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Hello Gal, and welcome to SR. Whether or not you can drink again, or if you have a problem, are questions only you can answer, although usually folks without a problem don't wonder if they have one.

I'd suggest you roam around our forums here and do some reading, and see if anything connects with how you might be feeling. Chances are the answers will come to you, either way, as you read. Please post whatever's on your mind too, and once again, welcome to SoberRecovery.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Welcome Galumphus to SR.

I would have to echo what Doug said - generally those without a problem don't wonder if they have a problem. No one can label you other than yourself. It may help a lot to attend at least some open AA meetings. That's where someone gives a talk in front of everyone else. All you would do is sit and listen for about an hour. Might help you to answer some questions about yourself and your drinking.

Good luck on your journey,
Jen
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Thumbs up

Welcome Gal in in a good place
It sounds to me that you have a serious problem, I was in denial for 20 yrs. a long time to waste on our very short visit to this earth. Get along to a meeting, and just listen, I think you will soon relise that you do have a problem, and that it needs some urgent attention. Good Luck and hang around you will get some very constructive help.
Keep on Digging Deep
Dave
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that you should at least check out an AA meeting. I remember my first AA meeting, i was shaking so hard i thought my kneecaps were gonna pop off. Everyone's first meeting is usually the hardest one. But if you listen you might just hear something that sticks in your head and make you wanna go back.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Galumphus
I am 26 now. Since I was 23 or so, I would drink probably 3-4 drinks a few nights a week, and heavy (7-9 drinks) on the weekends. For a long time I never thought I had a problem, since I was always good to go the next day, and I was able to not drink whenever I wanted. Then I started noticing things. Like if there were 5 beers left, I would feel compelled to finish the case even though I had said I would only have 2, since I had to get up early the next morning. Or I might only have a few glasses of wine left, but I'd go out and get more. Or I might start drinking at 2pm on a weekend, just because I was bored.

Finally at my annual physical my doc said my liver values were high. That really made me think I had a problem. It's been a few weeks now since I stopped drinking, and it has been pretty hard. I havent been to an AA meeting, frankly because I'm too scared. I am a very shy person. I guess I have to deal with that some time too.

Will I ever be able to drink again, like once my liver value get back to normal? Or will it always trigger this cycle?

This sounds like me 5 or 6 years ago. As time went by my desease progressed. Eventually I was drinking a gallon and a half of rum, or a 30 pack over a weekend. Goning to the bar and spending at least 30 dollars nightly. I stopped paying bills so I could drink. I stayed home from work cause I wanted to drink. Only you can deside that you are going to quit, but yes it does get worse. Before 5 or 6 years ago I did consider myself and addict. I just chose to ignor it. Now you have to choose if you are going to ignor it or not.
Stick around Sobe recovery, read the articles and the threads. Take what you need. Welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are some useful online tests you can take to determine for yourself the degree of your alcohol abuse problem. You sound to me like a heavy drinker who is gradually losing the ability to control his drinking. So it's great that you are recognizing that now and can start to learn some of the tools for managing your urges. I'd suggest choosing abstinence for good, but you don't really need to worry about that right now since you aren't drinking. Think about what makes it hard to be sober, and since practically everyone here has been through that we can talk about what we did to make it less uncomfortable.
You don't have to go to AA meetings. You can try some of the online meetings available here, or look at some of the alternatives:

SMART Recovery
http://www.smartrecovery.org

LifeRing Secular Recovery
http://www.unhooked.com

SOS - Secular Organisations for Sobriety
http://www.secularsobriety.org

Rational Recovery
http://www.rational.org

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about SMART Recovery. Take care, and thanks for posting!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Galumphus:

I'm not a doctor, but did your doctor say your liver values were directly related to alcohol consumption. If he said this is the sole cause, than you are drinking too damn much. If not, maybe there is another problem plagueing you. I don't know anything about liver values, so I'm curious as to what your doc said.

As far as AA and whether or not your an alcoholic, you probably are not one. I wouldn't freak out yet and think you are going in the tank. From what you described of your consumption I would not catagorize you as one. Just someone who might drink too much.

For a young person who drinks I have only one piece of advice. RESPECT alcohol. There is no reason why you can not enjoy a glass of wine with a meal or a beer during a ballgame in the future. But abuse the priviledge of drinking, and you will pay the price.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wekcime to

SR!
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Here is what to expect in AA meetings....

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/...AA_Meeting.html

Blessings....
Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looks like your link got cut off somehow; try this:
http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Galumpus,
You sound like you are noticing things which I've noticed in myself when I was still drinking. I'm an alchoholic who was lucky to quit before things got really bad. If I'm not really an alchoholic, I'm still going to play it safe and assume I am....because my behaviour patterns sure indicate it.

I drank like you, at first....volume wise. I drank alone most of the time, and I drank heavy (a 48L keg of beer in just over a week, at home + whatever at the bar). I was a "functional", practicing alchoholic with a dream job, nice home etc...But I was noticing the "functional" line was getting blurry more and more often. If I didn't quit drinking, diagnose myself as an alchoholic, and seek help......I'm sure my disease would eventualy take me into the realm of pure dysfunction.

Welcome to SR, and I hope you can find answers which are right for you.
chip

p.s.
Only you can label yourself, or know if you can ever drink again.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Galumphus
Question: Why is drinking so important to you that you're already contemplating drinking after your liver value comes to normal?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would suggest to you that you take this very seriously and act accordingly. AA, SMART, SoS are good places to start - each has its own website.

Look after yourself, and, if I were you, don't drink.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well thank you for your replies everyone. I don't have much to say in response but I will think over the things you have suggested and the questions you have raised.

BTW, today I went to fill up on gas at my "beer gas station". The place I often buy booze at. I went in and got a soda, so I was happy about that. Little steps, I guess.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

I started "What To Do" so you can get ideas to keep down boredom.