Notices

I've been thinking...

Old 10-16-2005, 10:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocellphone
Yes SPF, I read it. I got it. I appreciated it. I simply disagree with it somewhat.

Sure..definately.

Wellllll... I'm not sure about the accuracy of the %ages you've put forth, but I certainly agree that there are people who drink who don't have long-term problems with alcohol. I'm still a bit concerned about the short-term effects.
I actually got these percentages from a Denver Post article written awhile back and then I verified them on the wilkipedia...I think too American Family Physican probably has them listed on their website if your interested in confirming. You do have to be careful where you get data like this....and I was...especially with the internet their is so much mis-information out there...but websites like the Wilkipedia, American Family Physican, American Liver Foundation, Web Md...are all pretty repubtable.

(Since you enjoy my analogies... ) What would you think if the NRA took out an ad that said, "Blankety-blank percent of people survive bullet wounds, so guns aren't really sooooooooooo bad after all!!! Yay, guns!"?
He he I'm amazed they actually havent.

Yes I did! I swear!!! I can quote it back if you'd like... It's up above somewhere. I'm almost sure of it...
Yes you did....sorry I was in kinda a rotten mood when I wrote that last post and I think it reflected...thanks though for taking it with good humor.

By the way, your sarcasm bone seems to be in good working order (I'd put a smiley here, but apparently I'm over the limit).
Hehe but your responses to it have been very good.

Nooooooo... Let me see if I can put it in a way that might be more easily understood: I don't believe that the health benefits outweigh the health risks. If a person shows obvious signs of being affected by alcohol (no need to list 'em, we all know what they are), then the alcohol is affecting them. The damage may not be permanent, but it's still damage. If the ingestion of alcohol causes damage even for a minute, should it's use be advocated in such a way?
Hmmmm though does not everything effect us in such a way? Breathing air one could argue is slowly damaging our lungs due to all the polution....should then we advocate not breathing To be really honest I dont think there is much evidence that 1-2 drinks a day really DOES damage to the body. Even the people who have fatty liver other factors need to be taken in such as OTC pain medication usage....diet...etc. etc.

Thanks! I'm enjoying our interchanges!
thank you...thank you

All I know is that I'm gonna keep on not drinking, 'cos my opinion is that it is poisonous. A little or a lot, my liver would have to deTOXIFY the alcohol from my system, and that just isn't a nice thing to do to my li'l ol' liver... Poor little guy has enough to do already.
Of course you shouldnt...but like we have already established...all medical reports which show that 1-2 drinks a day are benefical to the heart DO NOT ADVOCATE starting up...or even continuing.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Little Missy
No scientific data here, but I believe that "normal" people feel the effects of the alcohol quicker then we do. This may be a little off the topic, but when you said "buzz" it made me think.

I know my hubby feels the effects of just 2 drinks. (Light weight, LOL) I'm sure some people feel this with their one glass of wine. Don't you think that with time, they too, would not feel this effect as greatly as when they first started? Won't the body accommadate to what it is taking in?

Just wondering,
Missy

This is called tolerance. As alcoholics our bodies have becomed accustomed to steady alcohol intake and as a result it takes much more for us to feel the effects of it...Indeed though I can't speak for everybody..I know for me it got to the point where I always wanted to feel like I did early on in my drinking. Where I would get after 2-3 beers...would now take me maybe 4-5...then 5-6...so my drinking was always increasing. Even though I was only a weekend binger..I was developing mad tolerance.

It is also developing tolerance which is used as one of the diagnosing critieria in the DSM-IV for an addict of any substance.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brookie
Now that you mention it, seems like I've heard the same thing. At the very least, the Concord Gape Association agrees. And if you can't believe the Concord Grape Association, who can you believe?
LMAO!!

Seriously though...indeed I actually think that that statement WAS issued by the Concord Grape Association and there has been little scientific studies to really back it. However there also could be something to it...I mean Wine is fermented from grapes...so who knows.

The real thing is if I drink a glass of red wine/grape joice a day...is that really helping my heart more than if I go for a 30-min Jog?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by SPF 77
LMAO!!

Seriously though...indeed I actually think that that statement WAS issued by the Concord Grape Association and there has been little scientific studies to really back it. However there also could be something to it...I mean Wine is fermented from grapes...so who knows.

The real thing is if I drink a glass of red wine/grape joice a day...is that really helping my heart more than if I go for a 30-min Jog?
There have been an number of studies over the past two years that have identified the healthful proanthocyanidins found in grapes and wine. Here is one:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-cgj111604.php

Welch's funded at least one study at UWisconsin, but there have been a bunch of others not funded by the grape growers.

In any event, concord grape juice is even better than red wine in terms of total proanthocyanidins.

There is still no reason to pick up a glass of wine.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
There have been an number of studies over the past two years that have identified the healthful proanthocyanidins found in grapes and wine. Here is one:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-cgj111604.php

Welch's funded at least one study at UWisconsin, but there have been a bunch of others not funded by the grape growers.
I stand corrected. I also looked on the Webmd archieves and found several references to this. I had heard this before...but I didn't belive it since I just thought it was some of that corporation bullcrap or some of those alternative health hypochondriacs.

So like I said I stand corrected.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And some more (via Entrez PubMed):

Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;505:95-111

Potential health benefits from the flavonoids in grape products on vascular disease.

Folts JD.

Coronary Thrombosis Research Laboratory, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53792-3248, USA. [email protected]

In the dog, monkey, a nd human we have shown that 5 ml/kg of red wine or 5-10 ml/kg of purple grape juice but not orange or grapefruit juice inhibits platelet activity, and protects against epinephrine activation of platelets. Red wine and purple grape juice enhances platelet and endothelial production of nitric oxide (Fitzpatrick et al., 1993, Parker et al., 2000). This is thought to be one of the mechanisms whereby purple grape juice significantly improved endothelial function in 15 patients with coronary artery disease. The consumption of purple grape juice by the patients also offered increased protection against LDL cholesterol oxidation, even though all the patients were also taking another antioxidant vitamin E, 400 IU/day. The number of people and animals in these studies was small; however, each one acted as their own control as measurements were made in each before, and then after consumption of red wine or purple grape juice. Thus these studies are thought to be significant. We feel that the results of these studies are encouraging and justify further research on larger numbers of subjects. This suggests that the flavonoids in purple grape juice and red wine may inhibit the initiation of atherosclerosis by one or more of the mechanisms described above. It will take years to fully characterize the potential benefits of daily consumption of red wine or purple grape juice for maintaining a healthy heart. Based on the existing evidence of antiplatelet and antioxidant benefits and improved endothelial function from red wine and purple grape juice, it seems reasonable to suggest that moderate amounts of red wine or purple grape juice be included among the 5-7 daily servings of fruits and vegetables per day as recommended by the American Heart Association to help reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.

----------------------------------------------------------

Grape juice it is, then!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

You do have to be careful where you get data like this....and I was...
I, on the other hand, prefer to simply talk out of my a$$.

What would you think if the NRA took out an ad that said, "Blankety-blank percent of people survive bullet wounds, so guns aren't really sooooooooooo bad after all!!! Yay, guns!"?
He he I'm amazed they actually havent.
Oh, I believe they have. Daily, in fact. They just use slightly different wording, and something about a 2nd Amendment...?

sorry I was in kinda a rotten mood when I wrote that last post and I think it reflected...thanks though for taking it with good humor.
That's the way I take most everything. Keeps me (relatively) sane. Apology accepted, tho' I don't know that one was really required. We's cool!

your sarcasm bone seems to be in good working order
Hehe but your responses to it have been very good.
Well, y'know what "they" say: you spot it, you got it. I have roughly 206 sarcasm bones. I just try to use my powers for good these days, rather than for evil...

Breathing air one could argue is slowly damaging our lungs due to all the polution....should then we advocate not breathing
Breathing isn't a choice. Drinking is.

I had a friend who smoked cigarettes and used the rationalization that "you could get hit by a bus and die more quickly than from smoking". I asked her if she was planning to stand in the street waiting for that bus to hit her.

To be really honest I dont think there is much evidence that 1-2 drinks a day really DOES damage to the body.
Yes, I believe you've made that clear somewhere in the course of the other seventy-five times you've made that statement.

Lemme ask this: if there's no damage done in having one or two drinks, what's up with all that stuff about not letting us drive when we've only had a coupla widdle dwinkee-poos? It could just be that our definitions of damage are different (uh-oh, here come several entries from dictionary.com, etc... ).

Hey, who knows? I could be wrong!

Thanks for allowing this thread to be a bit of fun, y'all!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by quercusalba
Grape juice it is, then!
I'll drink to that!

Wait...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I, on the other hand, prefer to simply talk out of my a$.
hmmmm....hope you carry some mints with you...or hopefully at least a tic-tac

That's the way I take most everything. Keeps me (relatively) sane. Apology accepted, tho' I don't know that one was really required. We's cool!

Yes, I believe you've made that clear somewhere in the course of the other seventy-five times you've made that statement.
Whoah, now whose counting?

Lemme ask this: if there's no damage done in having one or two drinks, what's up with all that stuff about not letting us drive when we've only had a coupla widdle dwinkee-poos? It could just be that our definitions of damage are different (uh-oh, here come several entries from dictionary.com, etc... ).
LOL....well we can probably agree on the definition of damage...but weren't we talking about the damage they do to our body directly...not what damage could be done through indirect actions.

Hey who knows I might be wrong.
But regardless...its still always great to have a good ole fashioned debate with someone who at least is thinking about things, and coming up with their own viewpoints.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

hmmmm....hope you carry some mints with you...or hopefully at least a tic-tac
You really don't want to know where I carry 'em...

Whoah, now whose counting?

Two! Two peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

LOL....well we can probably agree on the definition of damage...but weren't we talking about the damage they do to our body directly...not what damage could be done through indirect actions.
:slaphead OK, I give up...

But regardless...its still always great to have a good ole fashioned debate with someone who at least is thinking about things, and coming up with their own viewpoints.
I agree! That's a huge part of my recovery. Most of my life, all I could do was parrot other people's viewpoints. That's what a lack of self-esteem will do to a person! Today, I know who I am, I know what I believe, and I'm willing to stand by my beliefs. Also, I am able to respect the beliefs of others without judging them or condemning them (most of the time, anyway...)
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

" To weird to Live...To unique to Die" -Hunter S. Thompson.
Y'know, when I heard that Hunter had committed suicide, my first thought was, "I wonder if he left a suicide note..."

My next thought was, "Um... his whole life was a suicide note".

Tragic. Sad. Not unexpected.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Dan

The Doctor took himself out doing what he did best.
Showing the rest of us just how dangerous we can be.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

luen

My next thought was, "Um... his whole life was a suicide note".

Funny how the most observant...and the most intellegent are the ones who always go first........intellgence=decadence=homicidance (or whatever you want to call it).

Hell the way our society is going...who can blame the (censored....we never know whos' listening do we).
<CENSORED sake kiddies the for>
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
The Doctor took himself out doing what he did best.
Showing the rest of us just how dangerous we can be.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

who can blame the (censored....we never know whos' listening do we).

Y'know SPF, you might want to check out Paranoid's Anonymous...?

Problem is, no one'll tell anybody where the meetings are held!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

There's an old saying - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You guys need to join "X-Files Anonymous" ;-)

Mike
Old 10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I was pleased to read that I can 't get a little pregnant

What about all the known thingies that are good for the heart?

(thingies being a highly evolved tech term, especially for this time in the mornong)
Old 10-20-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I would tell you the time of the Alzheimer's Meeting, but what's the point?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Paranoids Anonymous....isn't that just another name for the Libertarian Party