Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm a recovering alcoholic living with an active alcoholic.

Notices

Old 12-06-2002, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I came out of detox in May 2002 for alcohol. I remained sober for 5 months. My problem is my elderly mother lives with me and she is an active alcoholic. When I come home each night from work she's drinking. She never give it up during any time in my recovery. My counselor and family have always been concerned about this. How can I stay clean while living with this everyday happening under my nose. October and November I thought I could hande a "few" glasses of wine about once a week. I missed the little drinking/talking sessions I used to have with mom. I'm realizing now that was all we have in common. Well I have already missed two days of work because I was hungover.
I'm scared to death. I'd like to believe I can beat this if there were no alcohol in my house. The problem is getting her to quit drinking when she thinks she doesn't have a problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions or support anyone can offer.
Best of luck and God Bless.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum.

Your stituation is difficult at best...but I am sure you know this...you can't stop her from drinking. You can only stop yourself...your path may more difficult in some ways because of your situation, but you have to take care of you.

I read your post on the WIR board, you know what to do...meetings, get as sponsor, work the steps. work on your recovery. As long as your mom does not think she has a problem there is nothing you can do about it. Maybe, you can pray that as she sees you get sober and your life improve she will want the same for herself.

Please keep posting and read the stuff around here, there is a lot of good stuff.

Some great stuff I like to recommend is on the NA board under Relapse at the top of the posts. Read it when you have time.

God bless and keep posting we are all here to support each other.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

grateful

Hi Pauline, I was so comforted to hear your words of support. You're right, I do know what to do and I need to stay in touch with friends like you to keep reminding me. I'll keep in touch.
Jayne
Old 12-06-2002, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Jane

Jane, consider checking out an Al-Anon meeting. Just the thing for someone in your position.....learn how to detach yourself from your loved ones' problem.

Your situation must be very difficult.

I am in Day 9 of my own recovery, and tonight I am driving to my cabin for some R & R, and I know that the liquor cabinet there is well stocked. It is going to be a big temptation for me....and I hope I resist....and pour it down the drain, instead of pour it down the throat. Hard to quit when it's right there in front of you.

Good luck to both of us.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Friend,
Thank you for your kinds words. Al-Anon would be very helpful. So often I'm on the other side.
Nine days, be very proud, good for . Enjoy your cabin and I guarantee you from experience it will be much more relaxing sober. Do it!
a friend, Jayne