Notices

I need help!!

Old 11-30-2002, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MCplayer002

I need help!!

I am a very depressed person.I have tried to get away from it by drinking and have thought about doing drugs.I say I dont want to drink and I try not to but it just pulls me back to it.I have tried asking some older friends for help but they have not been able to help.So if someone has any advice please help me.I dont know what to do.

Old 11-30-2002, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!!

Dear MCplayer---I just want you to know that you have taken a first, very important step by reaching out!! You HAVE truly come to the right place, and I'm sure that you will soon be receiving some very good advice from the wonderful people on this forum. I am also quite new to this, but I have gained so much by reading and answering posts---and look forward to coming onto the boards often. I sleep little at night, and will read much of what I can't get to during the day due to my work schedule. It has been a tremendous help. Depression is a terrible, lonely place to be---and I want you to know that many of us here are going through similar experiences. I, myself, live with chronic depression---and have to take my medicine faithfully, or I fall into a big, black hole. Please reach out to us on the boards, MCplayer----and try to attend as many AA meetings in your town as you can. You've made the first step by posting on this board----so let us help you in any way we can.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

MCPlayer

Hey, I'm surprised there have not been more responses here to your cry for help. This is only my 4th day sober, and don't feel qualified to offer any help to you, but I do know that drinking to mask depression works....unfortunately you end up with two problems, instead of one, and many of the decisions you make while drinking may be unwise. I regret many of the terrible decisions I made. If you can admit that you have a problem, and make the decision to help yourself, then that is the first step.
You have to WANT to do it.
Good luck in finding yourself.

I can remember my dreams now for the first time in years.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi McPlayer and welcome.... reaching out for help is the most difficult thing to do, and you have done it !

I would suggest going to your telephone book and looking up "Alcoholics Anonymous".... then call the number and tell them exactly what you have said here.

McPlayer.... They will be able to give you the address of the nearest AA meeting to you.

I would suggest that you go to the AA meeting, and tell someone there that you are new. Sit and listen, Identify and do not compare, take the suggestions from the people at the AA meeting, get a sponsor, and call him... and then just keep coming.

At the AA meeting you will find people who have been where you are at right now, felt just like you do right now... and they have a solution. These people can you help you McPlayer. They have all felt as you feel, and they can share their own experience, strength and hope with you.

It is so great that you are reaching out and asking for help, and there is help at AA meetings.

((((((((((((McPlayer))))))))))))

Congratulations to you, reaching out means that you are on the way to getting the help that you are seeking.... God Bless and let us know how it goes.

Now go.... and make the phone call

Love
Patsy
Old 12-02-2002, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey, MCplayer -

Welcome to the post. I'm new, too. My first post was similar in that I drink to get away from my depression. I've been on antidepressants for a little over a year but have only recently started drinking more. Yesterday was the first day in the past 2 or 3 months that I haven't had drink. It was hard as hell but I did it and so can you. Last night was the first good night's sleep I've had in weeks, even months.

Are you on meds for your depression? If so, don't do what I've been doing and continue to drink while taking them ... you've got an antidepressant and a depressant working against each other and it's counterproductive. Not to mention a different kind of "drunk."

I have yet to attend AA but am seriously considering it. Maybe you should, too; although, I've been told (and agree) that only you know if you have a problem.

Good luck to you and keep posting. We are all inspirations to each other.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MCplayer002

No Im not taking any medicine for it.I have never told anyone how depressed I am.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Make the call

I have 3 days sober and just getting used to the idea that I have a problem to solve. This website offers so much support but you have to go face to face. I am going to my first meeting Tuesday and to tell you the truth....I cannot wait. Please for your sake and the sake of those who love you....Make the call.

Sincerely,
Anne
Old 12-07-2002, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thankfull

Sober living works!

MCplayer,

I just came out of a sober living home in Utah, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was with this kind of help. I've tried cold turkey a number of times, and always blow it. What a difference getting out of my environment made. I recommend going to a sober living home, like the one I went to. The center I was at was soberlivingutah.com. I heard there are some good ones in Laguna Beach CA, and the surrounding area. Check it out, I dont have the # for the Utah center, but it should be on the website.

Best wishes,
Thankfull