Notices

I can taste blood at the back of my throat.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Richey,
Esophageal varices is a very serious problem. It is well known to chronic alcoholics and persons with eating disorders - binge and puke. Basically, the vessels in your esophagus (not far from your stomach) swell up and get irritated from continued and prolonged vomiting. Eventually they rupture and begin bleeding. The bleeding can come out of your mouth and/or to your stomach. As a paramedic, I have seen this condition with a few patients. It is EXTREMELY serious that you follow what your doctor has ordered. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING to make them bleed more or irritate them more. A very bland diet would be very helpful at this time until they can get healed up a bit more. People do die from this - so yes, if you continue to drink alcohol, you very possibly could die within a year. On the other hand, it is very managable. I don't believe there is a "total" recovery from this - I believe the vessels remain weak and ready to rupture. I'm not sure if they become elastic and strong like they once were. This is serious though - people do die of this.

Richey, I'd been wondering about you. From the sounds of it, sounds like not too much has changed since I last talked with ya several months ago.

My prayers are with ya,
Jen
Old 10-04-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Richey. Maybe you should give Mill a call? Sometimes face to face is better than this medium. Take care of your health - it's not too late. Please don't give up. Take care of that puppy of yours.

--anne
Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Millwallj
if you need someone to speak to face to face or on the phone then email me at londonfields2001******.co.uk and i will give it you.

dont give up pal.
There you go..........Richey; you are not alone. The healthiest part of you is reaching out, I think. Why not ck with Millwallj and get a few numbers. What do you have to loose (that is worth keeping ) ?

Hang in there; you have a big cheering section behind you!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Sounds like progress, Richey! Second doctor sound OK. I know that the are so many bogus docs out there that when I smell a rat I just go on to the next one.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bikewench
yes... you have....
and thank you for reminding...

I know it's a long.. hard way back...

just want you to be free and alive Richey...

pulling for you.. praying for you...
I have come far though, I've spent a total of nearly half this year sober and I'm off the drugs. I don't know why drink is so hard to beat :/
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

maybe its because you are addicted to it?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

The breakthrough will come Richey......sending my love.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jlo34
Richey,
Esophageal varices is a very serious problem. It is well known to chronic alcoholics and persons with eating disorders - binge and puke. Basically, the vessels in your esophagus (not far from your stomach) swell up and get irritated from continued and prolonged vomiting. Eventually they rupture and begin bleeding. The bleeding can come out of your mouth and/or to your stomach. As a paramedic, I have seen this condition with a few patients. It is EXTREMELY serious that you follow what your doctor has ordered. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING to make them bleed more or irritate them more. A very bland diet would be very helpful at this time until they can get healed up a bit more. People do die from this - so yes, if you continue to drink alcohol, you very possibly could die within a year. On the other hand, it is very managable. I don't believe there is a "total" recovery from this - I believe the vessels remain weak and ready to rupture. I'm not sure if they become elastic and strong like they once were. This is serious though - people do die of this.

Richey, I'd been wondering about you. From the sounds of it, sounds like not too much has changed since I last talked with ya several months ago.

My prayers are with ya,
Jen

I used to be bulimic...was for a long time (9-21 years old) very long time. It's probably that which damaged my insides the most...alcohol just exasserbating (sp?) it. At the worst I was purging 10 or more times a day...I was terrified I was going to die but I was addicted to it. I get addicted to things so easily...what's wrong with me????
I think my body got trained into throwing up so often...I could always hold my drink well until I started purging a lot, now I throw up at least once or twice a night if I drink...even if it's just beer. I feel like my digestive system is rotting away.
I guess that's why i got given the domperidone (which, btw, I haven't thrown up since I took).
I'm not drinking today, I couldn't even if I wanted to, even water hurts unless it's luke warm. Even though I feel like giving up and dying most of the time I DO NOT want to die that way!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
Sounds like progress, Richey! Second doctor sound OK. I know that the are so many bogus docs out there that when I smell a rat I just go on to the next one.
I hate my doctor so much, I used to think he was great because he'd keep writing and writing for valium but that's all he ever does...talks to you for 10 seconds and then writes a script...he's not even a human being...just a writing machine!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Millwallj
maybe its because you are addicted to it?
I was addicted to those drugs to but I quit them and I had a big psychological dependance on coke too...but I've completely quit, one tiny slip up soon after quitting but now I'm clean, clean for months.
Why can't drink be that easy?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quercusalba
Take care of that puppy of yours.

--anne
I'm looking after him. I'm going to get him some toys when I next get my money...right now he's devouring all my socks! You can dangle a sock above him and he'll jump up and hang onto it with his teeth, it's so cute. I love him to bits, seriously, and stroking him last night stopped me freaking out and thinking I was going to die. He smells so great too...puppy smell is really different to dog smell, I think I could eat him
Old 10-04-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by Richey
I hate my doctor so much, I used to think he was great because he'd keep writing and writing for valium but that's all he ever does...talks to you for 10 seconds and then writes a script...he's not even a human being...just a writing machine!
His prescribing valium to you is an other example of his incompetence.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by Richey
I was addicted to those drugs to but I quit them and I had a big psychological dependance on coke too...but I've completely quit, one tiny slip up soon after quitting but now I'm clean, clean for months.
Why can't drink be that easy?
Looking back, over the years I have had bouts of dependence on pot, pain meds, and cigarettes. None of them were as hard for me to be free of as alcohol.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I love little puppy breath....

I have talked with more than a few addict's (myself included) who make no bones about the fact that in the end it was the alcohol that almost drug them under.
Plain and simple, alcohol is a very powerful drug, certainly underestimated.

Reach out there friend and get yourself some help...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Richey

Just wanted to drop a quick not here. I haven't posted for a long time, but I read everyday, and I have followed your progress. I think about you often.

Keep up the good work. Keep talking to the folks here and, Mill offered you a call - face-to-face - go for it. He's a good one.

Best of luck.
-wordtank
Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just a quick note ...still sober and still feeling 'ok'.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
His prescribing valium to you is an other example of his incompetence.
I think he did it because I was drinking for stress and and insomnia. I'm glad he did at the time because then I was so badly anxieous I'd vomit at loud noises and I constantly shook so badly I had to drink out of a bottle.
I don't need valium now though, that was 3 years ago...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KelKel
I love little puppy breath....

I have talked with more than a few addict's (myself included) who make no bones about the fact that in the end it was the alcohol that almost drug them under.
Plain and simple, alcohol is a very powerful drug, certainly underestimated.

Reach out there friend and get yourself some help...
I'm going to go to meetings again tomorrow if I can.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Richey: Just checking in to tell you I was wondering how you are doing. I am glad you are planning to go to the meetining tomorrow and that Coffee is keeping you feeling better. You sound better...hope you feel that way. Keep posting; I want to know how you are doing. Take good care of yourself!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hi Richey I've continued to follow your posts to keep up to date with how you are doing, because I care about you and worry. Funny how someone you only know thru words on a computer can become quite important to you

Please take care. Sounds like you have a serious problem and drinking can/will kill you sooner than later. You're doing great though! Your little puppy sounds adorable. Wish we could see him