Notices

Nutritional needs while withdrawing

Old 09-21-2005, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nutritional needs while withdrawing

Hi people,

Someone very close to me is going through withdrawal and I know (I assume) that nutritional needs are extra special for alcoholics anyways, but especially so when going through the weaning in prep to quit phase ... (I think that malnutriton and deficiencies go hand and hand with alcoholism as a logical assumption ... and i also assume that many of the withdrawal symptoms are actually due to the bloodsugar swings.

I haven't spotted any threads as yet (haven't been in here much) that address this basic important information.

What foods and such really help to provide needed nutrition and helps stabilize bloodsugar levels ... and of course the nausea?

Any good advice is greatly appreciated... thanks folks!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PW54 You might find this helpfull.

What are alcohol's effects on the body?

Alcohol has a major effect on the brain
  • Alcohol is a drug that suppresses the central nervous system, like barbiturates, sedatives, and anesthetics. It only takes one drink to affect some brain cells, altering mood, cognition, and motor performance. The alcohol anesthetizes the brain for long after it leaves the blood.
  • The Department of Motor Vehicles tells us that "just one drink can affect your driving ability", and that "your chances of being in an accident are seven times greater if you drive after drinking than if you drive sober". Nearly half of the drivers arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) are social or moderate drinkers. In your lifetime there is a 50-50 chance that you will be involved in an alcohol-related crash.
  • Alcohol does not produce true relaxation - alcohol "tranquilizes" or "drugs" the drinker.
Alcohol also has a major effect on vitamins and minerals

Alcohol:
  • interferes with the metabolism of most vitamins, and with the absorption of many nutrients.
  • stimulates the excretion of both calcium and magnesium.
  • can drain magnesium reserves, even if the alcohol is in small amounts.
  • may hasten a vitamin and mineral supplement's breakdown in the stomach and it may interfere with its absorption.
  • reduces the absorption of food through the lining of the small intestine and interferes with the absorption of amino acids, glucose, zinc and vitamins.
  • inhibits the breakdown of nutrients into usable molecules by decreasing secretion of digestive enzymes from the pancreas, and impairs nutrient absorption by damaging the cells lining the stomach and intestines. The nutritional deficiencies themselves may lead to further absorption problems.
  • hampers the efficient metabolizing of fatty acids.
  • inhibits fat absorption and thereby impairs absorption of the vitamins A, E, and D that are normally absorbed along with dietary fats.
  • destroys the B group vitamins.
  • can contribute to the entire spectrum of liver diseases, even with a healthy diet.
  • negatively affects nutrients normally found in the liver, such as carotenoids.
  • interferes with nutrient activation, resulting in changes in nutritional requirements.
  • competes with and influences the processing of nutrients in the body.
  • promotes extra insulin release from the pancreas in response to glucose, causing hypoglycemia and at the same time, alcohol depletes the liver?s glycogen stores and impairs its capacity for the formation of new glucose.
  • interferes with zinc and vitamin A metabolism in the liver and can negatively affect night blindness.
  • promotes folic acid deficiency.
  • has also been linked to an increased risk of cancer of the colon, liver, oesophagus, larynx, and mouth.
  • destroys vitamins B12, B6, and folic acid, which causes an increase in susceptibility to homocysteine.
  • blocks the assimilation of vitamin B1.
  • depletes selenium stores in the body which means that it is not available for the immune system, cancer prevention and thyroid functioning.
  • hastens the breakdown of antioxidants in the blood. This speeds up the antioxidant's elimination from the body.
  • metabolism generate oxidants (free radicals) that can contribute to cell damage.
  • affects the development of a foetus.
What you can do to help

The most important thing that you can do is to avoid the use of alcoholic beverages. (see ...for tips on cutting out alcohol).

The following supplements will assist in restoring your body's nutrients:
  • evening primrose oil 500mg four to eight capsules per day,
  • vitamins A (as beta-carotene),
  • B group vitamins (including folic acid), and
  • vitamin C,
  • minerals:
    • calcium,
    • magnesium,
    • zinc,
    • selenium and
    • copper.
These can be taken as a good multivitamin and mineral supplement.

The ranges given below are for one tablet and dosages could vary from one to six tablets per day.

The supplement should be free from yeast, wheat, gluten, milk, corn, soy, artificial colorants and preservatives.

Contents per tablet

<TABLE class=generic cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="80%" summary="Suggested contents per supplement tablet."><CAPTION>Contents Per Tablet or Capsule</CAPTION><TBODY><TR class=toprow><TD>Nutrient</TD><TD>Amount</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin A</TD><TD>500-1200 IUs</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin D3</TD><TD>20-100 IUs</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin B1</TD><TD>2-10 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin B2</TD><TD>2-10 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin B6</TD><TD>2-15 mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin B12</TD><TD>10-25 mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin C</TD><TD>25-150mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Vitamin E d-Alpha</TD><TD>10-50 IUs</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Biotin</TD><TD>20-50mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Calcium Pantothenate (B5)</TD><TD>30-60mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Choline</TD><TD>5-15mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Bioflavonoids</TD><TD>5-25mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Folic acid</TD><TD>50-100mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Nicotinic acid</TD><TD>5-10mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Nicotinamide</TD><TD>10-20mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>P.A.B.A</TD><TD>5-10mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Beta-carotene</TD><TD>2-5mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Iodine from kelp</TD><TD>10-25mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Calcium (element)</TD><TD>50-150mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Chromium</TD><TD>20-30mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Iron (element)</TD><TD>2-3mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Magnesium (element)</TD><TD>20-60mg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Selenium (element)</TD><TD>10-25mcg</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>Zinc (element)</TD><TD>2-4mg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In addition:
  • Ensure a good daily intake of vegetables, especially the leafy green ones. Such foods are rich in vitamins and minerals.
  • Ensure a good intake of fiber. High fiber foods include: beans, pulses, fruits and vegetables, as well as the cereals.
  • Eat fresh food and avoid foods containing additives whenever possible. Additives, such as coloring agents, preservatives, emulsifiers, texturizers and flavorings may have short term and long term adverse effects. Fresh foods, free of these, are best consumed in their place.
  • Ensure a good, but not excessive intake of protein rich foods. Lean meat, fish, eggs, chicken (without the skin), nuts, seeds, peas, beans, lentils, sprouted beans and whole grains are rich in protein and vitamins and minerals.
  • Drink plenty of fresh filtered water to assist the body in flushing out the toxins.
  • Many people who consume alcohol have food allergies and will benefit from investigating these and avoiding problematic foods.

References

Airola, P. 1984, How to get well. Health plus publishers.

Bland, J. 1996, Contemporary Nutrition. J & B Associates.

Cromie, C. 2005 Smoking and Drinking. Good medicine.

Davies, S. and A. Stewart., 1997, Nutritional Medicine. Pan.

Dept. of Health and Human Services, 1990, Report to Congress.

Kamen.B, 2000, Alcohol and Nutrient Interaction - Nutrition Hints. Annual Review of Nutrition.

Russell, J. 2004, Alcohol- Vitamins and Minerals, Health Facts, http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alcvits.html
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi susane1408 (waving back LOL)

Thanks a lot for posting this ... it's great info and pretty-much what I was looking for.

Enjoy your day ... PW54
Old 09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to be of help
Old 09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

I know this wasn't written to me but I had a question. I don't really like 'water'. I won't drink enough fluids if I have to drink it. I use crystal light in my water. I have a couple of diet cokes and 1 coffee (MAYBE). Sometimes I drink oj or blueberry juice. Think the CL works in the water though?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oj and other fruit juices are the next best thing to water to help you rehydrate your body and to help flush out the toxins.

you've lost me with the crystal light though? I'm a Brit and I haven't heard of this
Old 09-21-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Originally Posted by susane1408
you've lost me with the crystal light though? I'm a Brit and I haven't heard of this
it is a sugar free powdered drink mix. 0 sodium, carbs, ect. 0 caffiene too
Old 09-21-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well it seems like it hasn't got anything bad in it and if that's the only way you can get the water down you then I'd say keep on with it, but keep drinking plenty of fresh oj too; it's good for you
Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First, Diet is important during withdrawal. Many of us have had poor eating habits. Plus alcohol destroys mnay vitamins. This is why many programs load up on the food. Unless there is a health problem, the V A Hospital gives double portions to the people. As far as the crystal light, like suggested OJ or Apple or other juice is better. A big problem is caffiene. I've changed to caffiene free coffee and soda. My doctor told me at the VA. If your on medications for depression just 2 or 3 drinks with caffiene can offset the medication. He claimed it is almost the same as drinking while on the medications. Susane has some great information there. However, needless to say you should work with your doctor. There are many medications rendered useless by some foods. Like grapefruit for example can render many blood pressure medications useless.
Be sure to talk to the pharmacy also. When I was on Paxil they recommended I not take some brands of over the counter vitimans or medications. I'm not sure now but, someone told me there is good sugar and bad sugar for us. Like grapes are removed from the fruit lists. Don W
Old 09-21-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DonW
However, needless to say you should work with your doctor.
Thanks Don for the extra info you posted here on PW54's thread, it's always the wisest course to check everything with the Doc before you make any additions to your diet while on medication.
I kept in constant contact with my partners doctors and therapists both before, during and after his detox treatment; at my partners request I might add.
Each individuals requirements are different and should be assessed by a professional, there is a lot of information to be found on the Net about the nutritional needs of alcohol dependents and they should be cross-referenced and checked with a Dr.
I am pleased to add that the Dr's; in my partners case, were impressed with the steps that I took to minimize the damage done by the alcohol on his mind and body and backed me all the way. It pays to have a good relationship with your Doctor.
After being alcohol dependent for 18 years; and trying and failing to stay sober for long, my partner has now been sober for almost 11 weeks and feels fitter and healthier than he has ever done in his life.
One day at a time
Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Susane, Hope you don't get tired of hearing this but, I'm so glad you're here. You have so much to offer us all. Don W
Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Careful Don I haven't blushed in years!

Glad to be useful!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don W
First, Diet is important during withdrawal. Many of us have had poor eating habits. Plus alcohol destroys mnay vitamins. This is why many programs load up on the food. Unless there is a health problem, the V A Hospital gives double portions to the people.

.......When I was on Paxil they recommended I not take some brands of over the counter vitimans or medications. I'm not sure now but, someone told me there is good sugar and bad sugar for us. Like grapes are removed from the fruit lists. Don W
Hi Don, This is all good stuff to hear from someone who has been through treatments ... double portions, huh That news is good ... and I think I must instinctively know that as I'm encouraging more frequent and more nutritionally needed foods

I also am aware of foods/meds possible contraindications (don't go good together) ... when I had troubles with low bloodsugar, grapes was a no-no ... as were many other things, until I stabilized ...

By the way ... if you deal with the VA then I have to :salute: you

Must go ... just watched a wonderful landing of that JetBlue 320 flight, that pilot was really something, as was the good fortune that that landing wheel under the nose didn't snap ... talk about a perfect outcome ... awesome!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Careful Don I haven't blushed in years!

Glad to be useful!
Blushing is good for the complexion ... enoy it

Thanks for all your input Susane ... very appreciated!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ah!! an aircraft buff eh!

My guys an aircraft engineer, can't move for plane stuff in our house; and as for flight sims...........
Old 09-21-2005, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ah!! an aircraft buff eh!

My guys an aircraft engineer, can't move for plane stuff in our house; and as for flight sims...........
Nope, and sorry to disappoint ... I was just blown away by the landing this pilot made ... but my partner happens to know lots about planes, especially WW2 era It's an education for me to sit beside him and watch the news ... partner also has a lot of WW2 era artifacts around, including a couple of manequins in WW2 dress ... in our living room!!! i'd miss them terribly if they were gone LOL

Last edited by PW54; 09-21-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added comments ...