Notices

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

P.S. Did anyone expect Kishline to go before a judge and say "Oh by the way, your Honor, I plan to moderate my drinking next time" Of course, she'd say she's going to AA.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

So what is the general consensus about O'Doul"s? I have a friend in recovery who drinks at least a twelve pack a day.....has a couple before he has coffee. Does not mention this to his sponsor, which throws red flags, in my opinion. Also, sends other people to buy it or goes to out of the way places....another flag. Just wondering....I don't say anything to him, not my business.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Your friend has a compulsive behavior, and is ingesting a LOT of calories, but is getting the alcohol equivalent of about one regular beer total that way. The red flags I see are that he's not dealt with his compulsive behavior, and that he obviously feels guilty enough about it to try to hide it. That's not emotionally healthy, so he might benefit from seeing a counselor. But he's no longer killing himself.
Don
Old 03-16-2006, 02:53 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krzymom8513
So what is the general consensus about O'Doul"s? I have a friend in recovery who drinks at least a twelve pack a day.....has a couple before he has coffee. Does not mention this to his sponsor, which throws red flags, in my opinion. Also, sends other people to buy it or goes to out of the way places....another flag. Just wondering....I don't say anything to him, not my business.
Krzy...make no mistake about it. Your friend is NOT in recovery. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for his state of mind. He's a liar and is paranoid. If he thought for one minute, what he was doing was right, he'd have no problem getting his own stuff and not hiding the fact that he's drinking. What he's doing is the same as going to a house of ill repute, masterbating, and telling someone your motives were right and proper and NO PROBLEM. I would say something to him!!! I'd let him know I'm not in agreement with what he's doing and until such time as he makes a decision to stop playing games, we'll have no contact. To say that he's not drinking is like saying Bill Clinton didn't have sex with Monica. Laughable!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Substitute for alcohol, is there any? LIFE.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I agree with Cathy218 - coffee is good.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
Krzy...make no mistake about it. Your friend is NOT in recovery. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for his state of mind. He's a liar and is paranoid. If he thought for one minute, what he was doing was right, he'd have no problem getting his own stuff and not hiding the fact that he's drinking. What he's doing is the same as going to a house of ill repute, masterbating, and telling someone your motives were right and proper and NO PROBLEM. I would say something to him!!! I'd let him know I'm not in agreement with what he's doing and until such time as he makes a decision to stop playing games, we'll have no contact. To say that he's not drinking is like saying Bill Clinton didn't have sex with Monica. Laughable!!!!

Music,................God,......I love the way you think!

Totally. And, you,...Don S,....for you to say that this guy isnt killing himself, is very misleading. If the drug dont getcha,...the lifestyle will. Sooner or later,....this behavior WILL lead him back to real beer or worse. His lying, deceitful, guilt-ridden behaviour is no different than it was WITH alcohol. I agree,...this ISNT sobriety. This is a breather. Nothing more. By the way,..to all of those who participated in this thread,......I suggest you go back and re-read it. Its actually quite interesting. You all had some very good points......even you, Don S.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

mabey you shoud try the 2% milk on the breakfast tray at your local jail house.... like i did then you might be gratefull for all the other choices in the store next to the beer cooler
Old 03-27-2006, 02:02 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lobster99
mabey you shoud try the 2% milk on the breakfast tray at your local jail house.... like i did then you might be gratefull for all the other choices in the store next to the beer cooler

Yeah,......or the "CoolShots" Juice Flavor Drink. Its lockdown-tacious and prison-licious!!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StayingSober
I find that whilst I do have my drinking under control, I do still drink a couple of beers a week (only light beers too, anything stronger scares me because I don't trust myself with it)

I know this post was from last Sept., but, I JUST noticed this........you DO know, dont you,...that LIGHT beer has nothing to do with the booze content,...and only to do with the FAT or CALORIE content???? So if you think you are drinking light beer to "take it easy" on the booze,..you're wrong.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by Irish Virus
Yes there is. O'Doul's.

It's non-alcoholic beer and it tastes pretty good. If you like to sit outside, relax, and think about life, crack open an ice cold O'Doul's and it will hit the spot. Coffee will do nothing but get you all jacked up from the caffeine.

If you're only drinking 3 beers a week, I guarantee you that it ain't gonna push you over the edge. Hope they have it there down under.
then you smoke some oregano and sniff some baking soda
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Xanax is a fine substitute, but I wouldn't recommend it!!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lobster99
then you smoke some oregano and sniff some baking soda

If you're only drinking three beers 'a week' why on earth are you wondering if you're an alcoholic??
Old 04-01-2006, 12:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I like the taste of alcohol, I find that often after a stressful day I'll go and sit outside with a beer and think about life, it usually calms me down pretty well, but the problem is that it makes booze something I like... I've tried all sorts of crazy drinks to replace alcohol but nothing else seems to work the same.

I think this is where we are supposed to substitute our Higher Power or whatever it is we are believing in.

I have found writing helps to eliminate stress. Taking a journal outside and drinking something sweet or whatever. Water works but imo it MUST be icey cold or its just yuck. A pack of life-savers to suck on, a pen and paper. Crayons and the mindless activity of colouring can help. Bird watching, listening to water running...actually I find water and trees to be very relaxing...so a walk along the waterfront or sitting under a tree can do much to alleviate my mind and mood in ways that alcohol couldn't even touch.

Um, other ways to help one stay 'disconnected from the body' which aren't really healthy? Lack of sleep. Lack of food. Lack of urination. All can make one feel light-headed and 'off' but I wouldn't suggest any of these as a form of recovery.

If you're looking for ways to 'take your mind of your problems' though, I would suggest prayer, writing, listening to classical or 'relaxing music', learning to play guitar or another instrument, art, ... even a gameboy advanced or whatever the newest ones are and a good game...these can help though I have found that playing video games can simply be substituting one addiction for another...but all and any of these can bring peace of mind. Another idea is a fluffy little dog that constantly needs its hair trimmed...this is one I am doing currently since my HP provided me with a little doggie over Christmas.

Thing is, is if you are just looking to substitute something outside of yourself for the alcohol to give you that 'bliss feeling' then perhaps you are simply substituting one thing for another. -Doing- something is a little different in that it keeps the body occupied whilst allowing the mind to go free. Meditation, yoga...all of these things helps us to train the mind so that it doesn't obsess so much on the days problems...or simply writing things down or talking things out with our HP.

My personal solution I think is often music. I play guitar and sing and this can help destress me in ways that nothing else does. I'm often too lazy to actually do it but when I do, I feel really good.

Another thing I have found that helps is the mind frame we have when we substitute. If you are telling yourself..."boy, I wish I had a beer right now, but no, I have to have this lousy glass of water" then likely the water isn't gonna do the job. But, if you tell yourself..." I will enjoy this nice, fresh glass of ice water whilst I sit and meditate/write/play/ whatever" then success is much greater of a chance. And, doing something...creating something...allows us to look at/hear the results of our work further down the road. Even, like said above, something as simple as colouring or paint by numbers can give posative vibes to our minds.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of positive things about Perrier...I'll have to try it. Right now I'm drinking flavored packets that you add to bottles of water....during the hours I used to drink the other stuff. I've even started drinking hot tea and hot chocolate before bedtime....:-)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Life!

Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
Substitute for alcohol, is there any? LIFE.
I'm finding life is a wonderful experience.....my eyes aren't as cloudy as they usually are, and I'm starting to actually listen to my family when they are talking to me, instead of nodding and impatiently waiting for them to go away so I can get back to destroying my liver. I know it's gonna be a long journey.....I'm at day 5 as of 15 minutes ago. I love reading everyone's posts.

Peach
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Just have to moderate and it taskes some fore- thought .

I started to town to get my weekly 6 pack i get on friday ,got in the car and started off to town ,Than thought ,i have a blunt headache now and a couple beers will make it worse .

Came back in and sat down ,wife said "No beer " ,i replied i have a light headache and that will make it worse .

As you go along drinking may very well become a non issue .

It has for me anyhow .

When i first quit i kept a cold bottle of gatorade for the ride home ,then got on pineapple fanta ,then apple schapple ,lots of good drinks to experement with .
Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

I found a great substitute, and it has been more than that in the program and fellowship of AA.
I have been released from care boredom and worry. the most satisfactory years of my life( not just existing anymore) lie ahead!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

the only reason i'm posting is that you responded to a comment by zorah back in 2012, i'm new to this sight and your response was quite interesting to me, they told me on the sight that I would have to make 5 posts before I could send a private message, your story there pretty much explains myself, hope to make 4 more posts and send that message, thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think it depends on what we're considering a substitute.

I love really good root beer. I'm not talking Bargs or A & W. I'm kind of lucky to be in a city large enough where "microbrews" are available. Given that root beer is something you can "craft"--using different flavoring agents to modify the taste and even mouthfeel--I get to experience something unique and delicious with each one, like craft beer, while drinking something that completely isn't beer (the use of "beer" in the name is a Prohibition throwback.) Kvass is also really good too but hard to find unless you live in a place with a large Russian or Bulgarian population.

I will have a non-alcoholic beer on rare occassions when I'm out. Mostly because I really hate the taste of Coke/Pepsi/etc. but I look at it as a soft-drink, not a stand-in for 'real beer.' I wouldn't do it otherwise. That'd be as if, to second whomever suggested it's like a cocaine addict sniffing baking soda is right on.

I would say best of all is just find a new routine that doesn't involve drinking anything. It might just need to be that whole habitual, "at this time I have a drink" routine that needs to be eliminated.