SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Substitute for alcohol. Is there any? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/71173-substitute-alcohol-there-any.html)

StayingSober 09-18-2005 08:48 PM

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

I find that whilst I do have my drinking under control, I do still drink a couple of beers a week (only light beers too, anything stronger scares me because I don't trust myself with it) but whilst this doesn't bother me, there are people in my life who I don't want to hurt and if I go from 2-3 beers a week to about 10 a day again, then that would be hurting them.

So I want to stop drinking. Maybe one or two drinks a year, maybe one drink every few months, that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be so close to falling back into old habbits again.

My problem though is that I like the taste of alcohol, I find that often after a stressful day I'll go and sit outside with a beer and think about life, it usually calms me down pretty well, but the problem is that it makes booze something I like... I've tried all sorts of crazy drinks to replace alcohol but nothing else seems to work the same. A strong coffee usually works, but for that I need people around me to talk to, otherwise it doesn't help. I'm just curious if anyone else has found a good substitute for alcohol... just something to drink instead of it?

If not, well, I expect that it'll take me a long time to completely stop drinking, but I'll still get there eventually.

doorknob 09-18-2005 09:01 PM

I like Sobe's and some of the energy drinks.

DK

nocellphone 09-18-2005 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by StayingSober
I'm just curious if anyone else has found a good substitute for alcohol... just something to drink instead of it?

Have you tried water?

It's all the rage and we're actually made (mostly) of it! :D

It won't magically change your feelings like, say, alcohol, but you'll live a lot longer...

Cathy218 09-18-2005 09:31 PM

the best coffee...

.....is at an AA meeting! Coffee, recovery.........I dont' think I could find a better substitute for alcohol if I tried!

best 09-18-2005 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by StayingSober

So I want to stop drinking. Maybe one or two drinks a year, maybe one drink every few months, that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be so close to falling back into old habbits again.

Some say you can moderate intake. I have yet to find a person who has.
Maybe theer are some, I just never met them.

As far as being so close to the old habits... Maybe one or two is too close for me. Alcohol is progressive in nature. One or two can become 1-20 in short time.

Rather then looking for a liquid replacement, try a sensory replacement.
Music, pencil drawings, crossword puzzles, painting, reading.

A replacement that you find that relaxes is out there. Just need to try a thing or two and you may find it soon.

XD40FAN 09-18-2005 10:48 PM

I was already a rabid fan of Aquafina - not drinking just about doubled my daily intake.

Find a bottled water that you like, and stock up. :)

And Sunny D!

Dan 09-19-2005 01:53 AM

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

The only substitute for alcohol that will work for me is something that will address what alcohol was substituting in the first place.

I am partial to Perrier/cranberry juice combos, though:)

Millwallj 09-19-2005 05:27 AM

English tea.

its a good start at least.

bartender129 09-19-2005 06:53 AM

RELAPSE PREVENTION: ACTIVITIES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
• CHORES AND USEFUL TASKS (such as Cleaning, Cooking, Dishwashing, Ironing, Sewing).
• EXERCISES (such as Jogging, Nautilus, Walking, Aerobic Dancing, Stretching or Aerobic Exercises, Shadow Boxing, Skipping Rope, Yoga, Weightlifting).
• FOOD ACTIVITIES (such as Baking, Cooking, Barbecuing, Preparing Gourmet Meals, Shopping for Food).
• GAMES (such as Bridge, Checkers, Chess, Go, Jigsaw Puzzles, Monopoly, Poker, Pinochle, Scrabble, Crosswords, Anagrams).
• GRAPHIC ARTS (such as Cartooning, Drawing, Lettering, Mechanical Drawing, Painting, Photography, Silkscreening).
• HANDICRAFT ACTIVITIES (such as Basketmaking, Bookbinding, Crocheting, Embroidering, Knitting, Leatherworking, Dressmaking, Decoupage, Needlepoint).
• HUMOROUS ACTIVITIES (such as Cartooning, Improvisation Games, Charades, Jesting, Joke-making, Playing Practical Pranks and Jokes, Punning).
• MARTIAL ARTS (Akido, Jujitsu, Judo, Karate, Fencing, Wrestling).
• OUTDOORS ACTIVITIES AND SPORTS (such as Birdwatching, Gardening, Crabbing, Fishing, Canoeing, Sailing, Hunting, Walking, Ice-skating, Skiing, Rowing, Hiking).
• PERFORMING ARTS (such as Dancing, Ballet, Mime, Acting, Improvisation, Modern Dance, Tap Dance, Singing).
• PERSONAL GROWTH (Self-help Books, Workshops, Lectures, Skills-learning, Career Development).
• READING (Fiction, Novels, Plays, Poems, Nonfiction).
• SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES (such as Anatomy, Biology, Herpetology, Physics, Medicine, Zoology, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology).
• SOCIALIZING ACTIVITIES (such as Conversing, Group Activities, Attending or Giving Parties, Rap Sessions).
• SPECTATING (watching Movies, Plays, Sports, Pageants, Circuses).
• SPORTS (such as Baseball, Basketball, GQlf, Gym, Football, Hockey, Dancing, Tennis, Skating, Running, Volleyball).
• STUDYING ACADEMIC SUBJECTS (such as Art History, History, Language, Math, Music, Science, Social Science).
• TRADES AND CRAFTS (such as Bricklayer, Builder, Carpenter, Foreman, Factory Worker, Gardener, Mechanic, Machinist, Police Officer).
• VENTING FEELINGS (such as Punching Pillows, Yelling, Talking, Writing, Expressing Good Feelings).

michaelj 09-19-2005 07:46 AM

I would say that coffee is my favorite although I do like elderflower as well. It seems to be very relaxing.
For real relaxation and space to think you can't beat good music, Puccini is a personal favorite of mine.

Irish Virus 09-19-2005 06:47 PM

Yes there is. O'Doul's.

It's non-alcoholic beer and it tastes pretty good. If you like to sit outside, relax, and think about life, crack open an ice cold O'Doul's and it will hit the spot. Coffee will do nothing but get you all jacked up from the caffeine.

If you're only drinking 3 beers a week, I guarantee you that it ain't gonna push you over the edge. Hope they have it there down under.

FriendofBill 09-19-2005 06:57 PM

O'Douls has alcoholic in it. .5%...but its still alcoholic.

Its a mind-F****** drink for alcoholics. Be careful.

Pick-a-name 09-19-2005 07:21 PM

I have read many posts by people who "re-ignited" their craving/addiction by the slight alcohol content in O'Douls.......BEWARE!

My A tried it several times..........frustrated him so much he went back to the "real thing"

Chy 09-19-2005 07:40 PM

I have to agree with the others that said perhaps it's not the drink replacement your in search of but another way of unwinding. Michael gave you some good suggestions to consider. When you get your mind and body busy with other pleasures you won't be to worried about what your drinking...though I do get that as in early recovery I sought out my replacement...so since you asked.. Diet ginsing green tea, coffee, and chocolate shakes are my comforts now though water with lemon is my primary I keep with me 24/7.

doorknob 09-19-2005 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name
I have read many posts by people who "re-ignited" their craving/addiction by the slight alcohol content in O'Douls.......BEWARE!

My A tried it several times..........frustrated him so much he went back to the "real thing"

There's as much if not more alcohol in orange juice that has been in the fridge for a few days. I'm betting it was psychological, not that it really makes a difference.

DK

chris k 09-20-2005 06:36 AM

Drinking near-beer makes about as much sense as going to a *****house to hold hands....thats my opinion, I could be wrong.

FriendofBill 09-20-2005 02:01 PM

:dunno orange juice has alcohol in it?
Damn,,,,,then who needs vodka to make a screwdriver?

Pepper38mint 09-20-2005 02:09 PM

My substitute is white cranberry juice in a wine glass. I can't believe how well it's working for me.

2tough2die 09-20-2005 02:26 PM

Cranberry juice with a twist of lime. Tastes good and looks even better!

doorknob 09-20-2005 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
:dunno orange juice has alcohol in it?
Damn,,,,,then who needs vodka to make a screwdriver?

Ultimately, the alcohol content of non-alcoholic beer
isn’t as signifi cant as the drink’s similarity to authentic
beer. If the alcohol content were truly noteworthy, there
would also be reports about the effects of “Orange Juice
Overindulgence,” as the two drinks have comparable
alcohol content. However, the placebo effect of
non-alcoholic beer has attracted researchers’ attention, as has
the ability of “near beer” to normalize the sensory aspects
of beer in preparation for future alcoholic indulgence. “In
the November issue of the Journal Alcoholism: Clinical
& Experimental Research, a team of California scientists
report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a