Notices

Day 7 today

Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 today

I haven't been here in many years. I am thinking about it more than I'm craving alcohol. The thinking is the scary thing. I feel confident now at day 7 that I won't blow it to just start again on day 1 hungover.

It was hard last night when my husband asked me if I wanted a beer. I said no, a Pepsi. He forgets what I say alot from day to day or else he wanted to drink with him so that he would feel better about his drinking. He is one to deny alot of issues.

I have felt calmer and I've also felt like crying alot and anger. I hope it passes soon.

I just hope that when I get to the point of being totally comfortable that I don't let myself get carried away. I need to learn how to squash my brain when it wants to drink for some stupid reason (it doesn't even seem real the mental part, but it is the most powerful in if I will drink again so I must learn how to deal with that part; I am happy I'm not in denial that is forsure).

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting sick too....? I have headaches and I've been anti social, which doesn't help me having to do my normal 9-5 employment!!!! It feels like my head turns off, I catch a cold and all I wanna do is go home and go to sleep!!!!

I hope that me being uncomfortable from time to time never causes me to drink again. I feel so much healthier and out of the alcohol haze finally. When I drank, the alcohol haze would last four or five days. I feel detoxed for sure.

Thanks y'all
Old 09-05-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

don't get overconfident!
day 7 is a terrific accomplishment
so
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way To Go! Keep on moving forward.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think caffiene makes it worse...
Old 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it takes quite a bit of time
but
it's worth it
try listening to music
relaxing

you are right
caffiene only aggravtes other problems
so to keep it down

i went 2 years without coffee
just drink tea

best
fraankie
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Rock on Sadie !!!! Just remember that unlike drinking, in sobriety if seven is good, eight will be better. If seven is hard, eight will be better.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my mind running a bit wild and i feel 'unsettled' and hoping tomorrow or in a couple of hours i'll feel more Grounded.... urgh.

but i'm ok
Old 09-05-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hang in there! What your experiencing is normal. Check out he "Quitting: What to expect" thread at the top of the forum.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks chy and I'll look at that thread.

Is it true that the longer an alcoholic goes without alcohol the easier it gets? And if the alcoholic even drinks one drink the alcoholic brain/body go back to square one??

I'm just curious cause I could see how that would be true. I feel good now and don't desire booze all thaaaat much but if I drank one then in a way i could see how i would start obsessing about it aaaalll over again.

Is that why beginning sobriety is so important?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The PLAGUE

Originally Posted by Sadie12
Is it true that the longer an alcoholic goes without alcohol the easier it gets? And if the alcoholic even drinks one drink the alcoholic brain/body go back to square one??
Absolutely! This disease never goes away - it only could be arrested, put away in a quarantine so one has to be vigorous in protecting her or himself from a relapse. I like to quote Albert Camus' "The Plague" when I am trying to explain this mental plague that infested so many of us:

He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know but could have learned from books; that plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good; that it can lie dormant for years and years in furniture and linen chest; that it bides its times in bedrooms, cellars, trunks and bookshelves; and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and enlightment of men, it would rouse up it s rats again and send forth to die in a happy city."
(Albert Camus, "The Plague")
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Michael

Sadie,
It absolutely certainly does get better and easier. You are in the early days of sobriety and you need to guard against both euphoria and depression. Both these imposters will come along to try and spoil your day and you need to be prepared to meet them head on. If you can maintain your current commitment and remain focussed you will be OK. Try to focus on just today and the calendar will take care of itself.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you guys. and i like the dormant mention... so true. and that is what it sorta felt like not drinking for a few and then putting alcohol in my system sort of woke up that little creepy scavenger... lol

Michael, thank you.. and i will stay focused and be prepared for both of the feelings one gets with sobriety.. i've already gone through alot of emotional stuff and doing better..

DAY 9 today!!! i am really using work to focus my energies and then i'm pooped at the end of the day. my hours i wanna drink are right after work till 7 or so and then it is just too late to get started (i think in my mind) -- i'm afraid to start cause i never know when one of "those" bad nights will take place... yuck i Never wanna go there again!!! and then to wake up with a hangover from hell t'boot? NO THANKS

sm
Old 09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sadie - its a great achievement.

I am a few years sober now and I think: wow, thats groovey. But would I be able to do it again? have I got it in me if I pick up again?

I know also on day 7 I thought this is as far as I can get at this moment. Tommorrow I will get a little further if I dont pick up today.

The longer you have the more value you will give it.

Look at the beauty in your 7 days - it is so beautiful to be alive and not be a slave to a substance that kills people. 7 days without alcohol is really, really something to be proud of.

but for me, any sobriety I have, I dont think I have it in me to get it again if I were to drink again. That is why it is precious and something to be protected. Its like I have been given a chance in life and not live the inevitable life of an alcoholic.

Great stuff mate. thanks.