Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Hi all; first time poster, worried about Alcohol problem

Notices

Hi all; first time poster, worried about Alcohol problem

Old 08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hi all; first time poster, worried about Alcohol problem

Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting here; I discovered this site yesterday while I was doing a websearch on alcohol. It seems like a good forum to speak, so I just wanted to vent my story and maybe get some opinions and advice Also I apologize if this sounds kinda sporatic and choppy as I'm not sure entirely what to say. As well as I apologize about the length, but I just need to speak.

Anyway, I think I might be devloping (developed) an alcohol problem. First, some background information on me. I am 22 years old, and just graduated from college this past June with a B.A. in Psychology. College was filled with fun times, great memories, and good people. I graduated with a very respectful GPA (which I now think in retrospect probably justified my drinking heavier and heavier since I thought it honestly wasn't interfering with my school work).

My drinking actually started in high school, but it was a rare event and when I drank I never got drunk nor had more than one or two drinks (something I wish I could do now). However in college it really escilated. Now, every weekend I was going out and basically drinking myself into a stupor. Funny enough, though I drank VERY HEAVILY I never really drank to the point of blacking out and got sick surprising rarely.

Flashforward to today and my current drinking situation. Here it is in a brief synopsis.

* I never drink every day-never have. I can easily go through M-F without having a drink-even though I do suffer through cravings.

* At the same time I can never go much longer than 2 weeks sober I dont know what it is.

*When I do drink I can't stop...I need to get very drunk (though not necessarily to the point of passing out or blacking out). I drink much more than my friends.

* I can pass up drinks easily at a bar or a social situation providing I dont have one. Once I have one drink...its all over and I need to drink to get drunk. By the same token, I often feel like I would like one drink at least and I can convince myself (Ha-Ha) that I can stop when I want to.

* Despite the fact that I only drink maybe once or twice every two weeks. I get withdrawal symptoms. Usually the first two nights after a night of heavily drinking are filled with horrible insomnia, incredibally VIVID dreams when I do sleep (which is only about an hour a night). As well as feeling very dehydrated and low blood sugar for about 4 days after a night of heavy drinking.

* And yet despite this I can't go any longer than 2 weeks at a time, nor have been succesful at cutting down my drinking when I do start.

I can tell its just destroying my health. Even though I dont drink all the time, I can just feel what its doing to my body. Ironically I eat very healthy most days of the week, and bike 10 miles a day during the week (to work and back) and lift weights. I had a physical done last month and all my blood work was perfectly fine and my doctor commented that I was in great health (i didn't tell him about my drinking natch). Yet I dont feel healthy. I get panic attacks alot and suffer from bad anxiety and depression most of the time (things I never used too).

The funny thing is...after I drink heavily I easily feel I wont again. But as the days go by and I begin to feel healthier and healthier...it slowly seeps into my mind that I could really enjoy a cold one. Then the cycle repeats itself

This is why I think I might have a problem...I just can't seem to stop permanently or cut down to a better level. Anyway I was hoping that maybe someone could give me some advice on what to do, or maybe what they think of this situation. If nothing else...I'm just glad you've read it and heard me out .

Thank you all.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR.

I would have thought I was writting that till I had seen the GPA part *LOL*

OK seriously...
The next step, as alcohol is a progressive addictive substance. You will increase the Friday night drinking into Saturday night and soon add in Sunday nights. Payday is thursday... why not cash the check and go have a beer.
One will do. OK one was good maybe I will have 2. Two becomes a full night of drinking. What started out as just Fridays may grow into a whole week of drinking if not checked.
You may want to look for AA meetings in your area. You will get the info and support needed there to gather up the tools of wisdom that help us stop the cycle of picking up and continueing the distructive ways.
Look about here and read up on what others have to say as well.
Your not alone. There is help, hope, and a way to deal with this and find a happy sober life.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards, SPF 77 !!

I have heard people say before that if you question if you have a drinking problem, chances are that you do. Only you can decide ultimately though if you are an alcoholic or not.

By what you are describing, when you do drink, you can't stop. For many, that is usually a warning sign of a problem.

I am only 26, but when I was your age, I drank like you did. I am not saying this will happen, but I basically went from drinking with friends to drinking by myself for fun, to drinking a beer and a couple of shots every night. Shortly after I turned 23, I was drinking about a fifth a night (seven days a week). I just loved drinking so much. Once again, I am not saying that you are headed that way, but that is just a sign of how progressive drinking problems can get.

You may want to consider checking out a couple of AA meetings. That way you will have the opportunity to talk f2f with people. And if you do not like it, you have nothing to lose. Also, continue to post here. I have found Sober Recovery to be very helpful, and the people are very kind and understanding.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your replies (I must say I'm a tad surprised just how quick you did )

Best-
I hear ya on the weekend progression. Actually earlier this year that was happening to me. I would go out with some buds Friday night...wake up Sat and think why not? I would find some stupid reason to justify it as well- like I did well on a test this week lets make it a two nighter. Then some weeks later I would include Sunday nights as well. Thankfully after a few weeks of this I realized what was happening and through a GREAT amount of restraint I was able to kick it. However I can't seem to get the one night a week thing to go away.

CDR
You make a great point on how alcoholism is really a progressive disease. Even as a Psych major who learned about alcoholism in abnormal psych I never truly understood what that meant until recently. Like I said I get cravings during the week..but usually I'm busy enough to ignore them. Also the horrendous feeling I have the day after (which is ALOT worse than it used to be) still works as a deterant for not drinking more than about one night a week-week and a half.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by SPF 77
Also the horrendous feeling I have the day after (which is ALOT worse than it used to be) still works as a deterant for not drinking more than about one night a week-week and a half.
The progression can overcome that feeling with time.
One day you wake up and a beer becomes the cure.
I don't remember how many times I must have said... never again, as I woke the next day.

Not picking up that first one is how I do it. If no first one, there will be no second one and we know what the second one causes... a full night worth.

Deal with the cravings as they happen. One moment at a time. You can hold off for a moment. Keep collecting moments if need be and they become a full day. One day at a time is the best way. Just for today I will remain sober. Tomorrow I will deal with when tomorrow gets here.
It does get easier and the cravings do become smaller.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SPF 77, welcome!

I have only just joined here and dont really have any advice to offer but I just wanted to say that the people here are soooo nice and if you are wanting to stop drinking, you found the right support group.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Whether or not you are an alcoholic, only you can decide.
But, I think it's pretty obvious that you are abusing alcohol, no? Actually, I like the way another member phrased this: He used alcohol to abuse himself.
So, the question is, what do you want to do about this self - abuse?
I welcome you to SR! I'm sure you will get the support you are looking for here. The bottom line is, it's your life; what do you want todo with it?
Only you can answer that...
Shalom!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Welcome to SR!

Everything previously posted is acurate! Most of us started our heavy drinking on the weekends. Graduated to mid week, etc. etc. Alcoholism is progressive. And, many of us are just like you - 1 is too many and 10 is not enough! That is exactly my problem. I can't drink some - I have to drink alot because once started - forget it! It's good that you see it now before it affects your work and relationships, because unchecked it will happen. One of the problems I had in my younger years is that my friends would label me the "party girl", sing me songs, "if you start her up.. .. then she'll never stop (Rolling Stones), etc. And, it liked it. I enjoyed the label, the attention, and wore it like a badge wholeheartedly. Well, those folks are gone, but my alcholism remains.

I, too, am new to SR. These people are warm, understanding, knowledgeable, and right on target. Listen to them. Seek help. As a psychology major you obviously have a desire to help people. Help yourself now - today, so that you can fulfill that desire and be the blessing to others that is your destiny and future.

SR will help you learn and encourage you. Keep posting and reading. You're gonna love it here!

Gina

P.S. Congratulations on your first step: Acknowlegement! That rocks!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting here; I discovered this site yesterday while I was doing a websearch on alcohol. It seems like a good forum to speak, so I just wanted to vent my story and maybe get some opinions and advice Also I apologize if this sounds kinda sporatic and choppy as I'm not sure entirely what to say. As well as I apologize about the length, but I just need to speak.

Anyway, I think I might be devloping (developed) an alcohol problem. First, some background information on me. I am 22 years old, and just graduated from college this past June with a B.A. in Psychology. College was filled with fun times, great memories, and good people. I graduated with a very respectful GPA (which I now think in retrospect probably justified my drinking heavier and heavier since I thought it honestly wasn't interfering with my school work).

My drinking actually started in high school, but it was a rare event and when I drank I never got drunk nor had more than one or two drinks (something I wish I could do now). However in college it really escilated. Now, every weekend I was going out and basically drinking myself into a stupor. Funny enough, though I drank VERY HEAVILY I never really drank to the point of blacking out and got sick surprising rarely.

Flashforward to today and my current drinking situation. Here it is in a brief synopsis.

* I never drink every day-never have. I can easily go through M-F without having a drink-even though I do suffer through cravings.

* At the same time I can never go much longer than 2 weeks sober I dont know what it is.

*When I do drink I can't stop...I need to get very drunk (though not necessarily to the point of passing out or blacking out). I drink much more than my friends.

* I can pass up drinks easily at a bar or a social situation providing I dont have one. Once I have one drink...its all over and I need to drink to get drunk. By the same token, I often feel like I would like one drink at least and I can convince myself (Ha-Ha) that I can stop when I want to.

* Despite the fact that I only drink maybe once or twice every two weeks. I get withdrawal symptoms. Usually the first two nights after a night of heavily drinking are filled with horrible insomnia, incredibally VIVID dreams when I do sleep (which is only about an hour a night). As well as feeling very dehydrated and low blood sugar for about 4 days after a night of heavy drinking.

* And yet despite this I can't go any longer than 2 weeks at a time, nor have been succesful at cutting down my drinking when I do start.

I can tell its just destroying my health. Even though I dont drink all the time, I can just feel what its doing to my body. Ironically I eat very healthy most days of the week, and bike 10 miles a day during the week (to work and back) and lift weights. I had a physical done last month and all my blood work was perfectly fine and my doctor commented that I was in great health (i didn't tell him about my drinking natch). Yet I dont feel healthy. I get panic attacks alot and suffer from bad anxiety and depression most of the time (things I never used too).

The funny thing is...after I drink heavily I easily feel I wont again. But as the days go by and I begin to feel healthier and healthier...it slowly seeps into my mind that I could really enjoy a cold one. Then the cycle repeats itself

This is why I think I might have a problem...I just can't seem to stop permanently or cut down to a better level. Anyway I was hoping that maybe someone could give me some advice on what to do, or maybe what they think of this situation. If nothing else...I'm just glad you've read it and heard me out .

Thank you all.
Jeeeeeeeeeeezzz that all sounds so familier and I am an alcoholic!

If you want to stop there are many ways - that can be found on the net - to help you stay stopped.

Take it easy. MJ
Old 08-03-2005, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by best
Big illumination there, best.
The horrendous hangovers disappeared the last three or four years of my drinking. I remember many Mondays at work when I would wish for a headache to replace the shakes. That's when my weekends became seven day affairs.
Progression...

Welcome to SoberRecovery SPF 77.
Thanks for reminding me that I need not drink today.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi SPF,
Following is a quote from the AA Big Book, chapter 2, There is a Solution.

"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink."

This is the criteria I use to make the decision that I'm an alcoholic. The point Best made about alcohol becomming the cure was true right from the start with me. Alcohol did so much "for" me, I refused to look at what it was doing "to" me. I'm glad you're taking a look at your own drinking now instead of waiting until the time comes when your BAC matches you GPA.

I believe one of the most simple and obvious differences between a social drinker and an alcoholic is that a social drinker may get drunk, act stupid, puke, have a hangover, and suffer remorse and humiliation, but it will only happen ONCE. An alcoholic repeats the pattern over and over again, because the booze is the answer.....to what question, I have no idea. I'm still trying to figure that one out after almost 29 years without a drink.

Glad you're here. Keep coming back.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by best
Word.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excellent advice

has been given to you SPF! Welcome!

I use AA as my recovery program.

If and when you have a desire to quit drinking

check out the winners over alcohol.

Great to see a young person search for a better sober life!
congratulations!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

SPF -- Good for you for catching yourself!

I am 27 years old and I started out kind of like you. I drank socially on weekends with friends, which escalated to getting really drunk on weekends with friends. I never thought I had a problem because, like you, I never blacked out or passed out. So the weekend drinking turned into drinking with every meal, but those drinks would be the beginning that night. I would continue to drink after dinner until I was drunk enough to go to sleep. Now I drink as soon as I come home from work and continue until I'm drunk enough to sleep. More recently I have been having a drink on my lunch break from work. On weekends, I'll start drinking in the early afternoon and then be too drunk to go out at night. I will never go anywhere there isn't alcohol available. I have lost all creativity and drive. I live to drink. It has been 24 hours since I've had a drink. Before that, it had been at least a month since I had a drink-free day. I have figured out that I spend AT LEAST $250 a month on alcohol, but I haven't bought clothes in forever!

I'm crawling out of my skin wanting to tell someone that I'm quitting! I quit. I am in therapy already for social anxiety, OCD and depression -- all either reasons I drink or effects of drinking...I am going to talk to my therapist about this today. She has no idea. I am terrified of what will happen when I tell her. I am on meds for these things and don't know about alcohol interactions or interactions after I quit. Or if I should quit taking them altogether to try and figure out what the real issues are. Anyone else on meds? Any advice?

I know how painful it is on spouses, children, families when someone drinks and also when they quit -- I know from my own family. But what about those of us who are young and unmarried? I finally thought, you know, if I don't save myself, no one is going to do it for me. And I'm definitely not going to meet the perfect man for me when I'm not myself. So I'm freaking out a little bit about knowing who to turn to, who to trust. I need to talk to someone. I have one friend that I trust, but I couldn't seem to get a hold of him last night. I know I will eventually tell my parents, but I don't know if now is the time -- even though I desperately want to. Anyone else young & single? Experiences?

As it is only my second day sober, I woke up this morning feeling slightly like maybe it's not such a big problem. Maybe I don't need to tell anyone -- after all, if I tell people, then I'll be accountable for not drinking and what if I want to? I know this is just the disease talking. I literally have to remind myself that I have a problem every minute! That's a little irritating. Don't get me wrong, I am feeling overjoyed to have made this decision. I want to be physically and mentally healthy and fit. I can't do that without quitting.

That's all for now. If anyone has any advice, please talk to me!!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sazzer
Originally Posted by Sazzer
I am going to talk to my therapist about this today. She has no idea. I am terrified of what will happen when I tell her.
I think I would be more terrified of what might happen if you don't tell her. Talking to someone is a great thing to do, and who better than your therapist? I assume you are accustomed to being honest with her already.

As it is only my second day sober, I woke up this morning feeling slightly like maybe it's not such a big problem. Maybe I don't need to tell anyone -- after all, if I tell people, then I'll be accountable for not drinking and what if I want to?
Hold on to this thought. I think most of us who have made it so far went through this "well, maybe it's not such a big problem" stage. I believe if you watch the highlights film all the way through to the end, you will come back to the idea that it is a big problem.

But it's not an impossible problem to solve. If I could do it, you can do it. Better, if we could do it, you can do it with us. No bonus points awarded for doing it all by yourself and it's actually easier to do if you learn to use the experience, strength and hope of others to keep you going when you might otherwise abandon ship and pick up.

If you were able to make it through 2 days, you can make it though today without drinking.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Thanks, Tony! I am actually kind of excited to talk to my therapist. I have had a chance to try out how it sounds a couple of times today. I called my best friend, who couldn't be more supportive, and my parents separately, and they were great, too. My mom sort of suspected it, I guess. My dad my have more of an issue with it. His father was an alcoholic and his brother is. He doesn't get along well with them at all and I'm sure he's feeling some anger. We'll get through that, though. I had to tell my other friend because we were supposed to go to a Red Sox game tonight -- something I definitely associate with drinking!! I just can't be tempted just yet! She seemed a little weirded out, but we're having lunch on Friday, so I hope she will be able to understand. If not, I will know that we weren't really true friends in the first place. She's a pretty heavy drinker herself, so I think she depends on me to be her drinking buddy. Anyway, I am looking forward to talking it out with my therapist.

Yeah, this whole "maybe it's not that big a deal" thing is tricky. I don't know if it's the withdrawal or what, but I almost feel like I'm not me. Like it's a dream -- I'm speaking the words, but it's not me doing it. I feel like I should be more emotional about it or something, but I'm doing fine. I feel relieved, of course. And a little antsy, but I'll get over that.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will stick around here -- it has helped so much already.

Saz
Old 08-03-2005, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey SPF and welcome...

A special shout out to Music -- haven't seen you around in a while, thanks for your wisdom once again...

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, and a good "acid test" if someone is struggling with "am I or am I not...":

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot
quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control
over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic.

Only you can make that decision and take action on it. AA works for me and countless others, and most importantly helps me live a quality life...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzer
I called my best friend, who couldn't be more supportive, and my parents separately, and they were great, too.
Rock on, Sazzer, Rock on! Telling other people you care about is, as you suspected, very important and an excellent start. It puts one more obstacle between you and that next drink and every obstacle you have to overcome before you pick up is one more chance to decide not to do it.

You can do this thing if you want to do it and if you are willing to do it. The rewards that will come with time are so worth it but very hard to believe in until you start to see some of them happen in your life.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 08-03-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SPF, congratulations on recognising the problems that alcohol is causing in your life at a relatively young age. I'm sure that there are some (lots?) around here who wish they'd done the same.

Sazzer, can I just say, as the ex fiancee of an alcoholic, that I am so proud of you for fessing up to your friend and your parents. I know that is so hard to do, but I also know that honesty is what will get you through this.

Good luck with your sobriety.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome to the newbies!