Notices

Am I Bored or Just Boring????

Old 07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Am I Bored or Just Boring????

Day 5 here.... boy do I feel bored or am I just boring? Anyone else feel like that? Where did my personality go? I am always the one who is full of fun and energy, quick-witted and laughing, heck my ***** IM is littlemisssmartypants!!!

Can someone help me to understand? Will this pass??
Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sure...

you are bored. The constant drama of alcoholism is gone.

You need to hook up with your local AA and find the joy recovery brings!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Hey Charlene

Listen here, littlemisssmartypants, I know from FACT that you are not boring! And you know that as well, too! I agree with CarolID, your just bored. I'm on day 3 and my "entertainment" has been here at SR. You can spend a lot of hours looking around on this site. And the information gleaned is tremendous. I'm gonna give you a call, but wanted to post so that your thread has activity and that you know I read your posts. We're gonna be okay, Sis, I can feel it in me bones!

Doggone it, girl, start writing that book: My Life as a Shite Magnet (but get the emotional support through SR or AA that you'll need as you re-write history!)

Hang in there, girl. Lots and lots of support and love here. Keep coming back!

GinaMouse
Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome to SR and you are right where you need to be and I am jeoulous no one ever calls me. Oh well I guess I am not that important lol just want to let you know that it will get better just hang in there and Gina is awesome Love Vic
Old 07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Charlene,

Losing the drama of being an addict is bound to make you feel bored/boring for awhile. I look at it as finding peace. I would never go back to the craziness again. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your life and the direction you're moving in. Have you thought about trying something new, taking a course, doing volunteer work?

I wish you well.

Love, Anna
Old 07-26-2005, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Life is a little boring when you're used to being bombed and wearing a lampshade on your head and falling down steps

At least that's my experience LOL

Some of your energy may be zapped being preoccupied on other fun things, like SR.

Once you get used to doing things sober for awhile, you'll get back to your old self, just without the lampshade, unless you're just the type that likes lampshades while surfing the web...

... not that there's anything *wrong* with that!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some disagree but, I can identify with those that claimed the "chase" also provided a high. The drama of thinking about the lies. Setting the stage for the drinking. Starting sometimes days before designing the stage for my production of " A drunkin Night Out.
Many of those with drug addictions have told me they also got high from the chase. One Veteran told me that the High from the drugs was dissappointing compared to the highfrom waiting for the drugs, giving the money, watching if being watched. You like myself and others will find replacements if you choose. Many small things in recovery provide their own little highs, enjoyable highs. Don W
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Good talk, Russ.

A few thoughts:

-Sober is the new drunk. I seriously like to think of it that way. I am the one that is different when I am out.
-I heard this once about drug/alcohol use: "Once you get the message, hang up the phone." I know that I am capable of getting crazy and wild when I am drunk; so, I am capable of this anytime. (I used to run an awesome underground bar/concert venue. One night when I was clean and sober, I put on a mask and streaked the stage during "Of Montreal". My girlfriend and I had the best time that night. "Of Montreal" loved it. www.rollingstone.com/artist/_/id/7681) I know that I am capable of having fun when I am sober; I just have to remember that alcohol is not necessary. I order a coke, loosen up, put on a smile, and have fun. Then, I wake up feeling great.
-your body is getting back to "normal". It is detoxing and maybe even a little confused.
-I hope this isn't taken wrong: don't take recovery too seriously.
-Know when to go home. Once the drunks are starting to get on my nerves, I say "See ya!" I also like to load the jukebox with bad songs before I leave. Ha!

I hope this helps. Now let's go streaking! BeRad
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Braveheart

See Charlene! Aren't these folks grand! Funny as all get-up! I find myself LOL many times! Anyway, we both know how wild and crazy we can get - especially together (salt & pepper)! Don't worry about not having any more fun - that's really just crazy talk! Just think of is as not getting into any more trouble and feeling good. We'll take the rest as it comes. Is there really anything other than that? BTW, seriously think about attending a local AA meeting, sis. I went to my first one this evening. It lasted a little over one hour and was very healing just to be in a room full of recovering alcoholics. I felt as if I belonged there - belonged there years ago. Kisses to you!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey Charlene (er littlemisssmartypants ),

Totally normal to feel bored at first. As others have said, you are missing the drama of active addiction. But the real truth is that you are quick-witted and full of fun and laughter without the alcohol. All the alcohol did was make you drunk.

BeRad wrote "-I hope this isn't taken wrong: don't take recovery too seriously. " and that is an excellent point. You need to take it seriously enough to actually stay sober and recover, but recovery is not a death sentence or some kind of punishment for your past. The whole point is to get better, be happy, and learn to be yourself instead of being drunk. That takes time but it will happen.

One thing to do is to read some of the books out there about alcoholism and recovery in addition to the A.A. Big Book. Three suggestions: "First Year Sobriety: When All That Changes Is Everything" by Guy Kettlehack, "Dry: A Memoir" by Augusten Burroughs, and "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. If you are too nervous to go to your local bookstore and buy them (it can feel a little like visiting an adult bookstore when you go up to the counter with books about recovery for the first time ), amazon.com is your friend.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

You all are so great. Yes, I was feeling a bit bored yesterday before leaving work, thought about making that "fateless" turn on my way home (just like mom did, hey sis) but I am happy to report that I did not and it is because of all of you here.

As I was driving I was thinking well, maybe just one.... (yeah right.... one a minute! LOL) the next thought was but then what would I say to all of you here!!!! Funny how answering to my family didn't even cross my mind???? What's up with that???

Anyway, my maiden name is Stahl (German for Steel). It may take awhile but once I make my mind up, it is solid as steel.

Happy to say..... Day 6..... And counting!!! Thanks to you and all your support. Got to get back to work now.

Charlene aka littlemisssmartypants
Old 07-27-2005, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Good for you, Charlene Steel!

And you're right about that one per minute, deal! I'm glad you decided to head on home. And the reason we don't think about our family is because we're rebellious! They know us already and love us, so if we do something stupid it's simply "tuff sh*t" I do alot for you now leave me be! On some sick level we feel it is our right to drink and that they should just shut up and deal - even if it is not spoken outloud. And, being a rebellious spirit - just let them try to tell us what to do! Now I'm gonna have twice as many - see, you should have kept your mouthshut. Of course, all of this going on in our head and not said outloud. Sound familiar? I don't know the answers to any of that stuff yet, either, Charlene. Only one day at a time. I'm very proud of you, girlie. Hang in there.

Kisses to you
GinaMouse
Old 07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is my 42nd day sober and I am still bored.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Originally Posted by decayingsinner
This is my 42nd day sober and I am still bored.
Day 8 and counting..... Being board never really looked good on me.... check out my thread from this morning, it may take away the dull-drums, at least for a moment or two.

Have an excitful and wonderful day.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

HMMM
days of wine and roses or how many brain cells still function?

There's nothing I can't do sober that I did while drinking.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000
HMMM
days of wine and roses or how many brain cells still function?

There's nothing I can't do sober that I did while drinking.

brain cells What???? what does that mean??

Yes there is..... pass out drunk!!! LOL
Old 07-29-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If there has to be one thing in life I'll never miss it's a hangover where my mouth felt like a dirty ashtray, my head felt like I pi$$ed off a stampede of cattle and the depression of being ole Mr. @SSHOLE again
Old 07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000
If there has to be one thing in life I'll never miss it's a hangover where my mouth felt like a dirty ashtray, my head felt like I pi$$ed off a stampede of cattle and the depression of being ole Mr. @SSHOLE again
Hey, I'm standing strong and sober and still they call me a Bi*ch.... like it's a bad thing! Not really. But heck if I'm gonna pi$$ someone off, I'm gonna remember why!

Have a wonderful day Cap
Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Charlene,

every day 6 foot above the ground is ((((((GREAT DAY)))))) I remember the first meeting I went to. I don't ever want to feel that bad again
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

-I hope this isn't taken wrong: don't take recovery too seriously.
-Know when to go home. Once the drunks are starting to get on my nerves, I say "See ya!" I also like to load the jukebox with bad songs before I leave. Ha!

I hope this helps. Now let's go streaking! BeRad[/QUOTE]

LMAO

playin bad songs on the music box. Now that's a great idea.

years ago, we used to go to this bar at 7 A.M after work. I can't recall what the song was but, someone played it like 10 times in a row. Needless to say, the bartender unplugged the jukebox