Notices

I could use some advice...

Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could use some advice...

Here's my situation. I've consumed 2-3 drinks almost daily for at least 5 years. There are some days where I drank less or not at all. Other days (mostly Fri or Sat) I drank a fair amount more. However, I have never really thought that I had a problem related to drinking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Months ago, I decided to lose weight and improve my health. So I ate better, exercised more, cut back on booze and dropped 22 pounds. Because I was lighter and drinking less, I noticed that alcohol seemed to have more effect.<o:p></o:p>

About a month and a half ago, I did it up pretty good (well above normal) with margaritas on a Saturday. About 8-12 hours later, my right thumb only began to tremor quite noticably, which kind of freaked me out. At first, I was sure that I had Parkinson's or something serious. However, upon reading more, I thought that perhaps this was a symptom of alcohol withdrawal. This tremor was accompanied by nervousness and very mild nasuea.<o:p></o:p>

After 4-5 days, I felt much better and the symptoms subsided. I went 2 weeks without a drink and without any real problems. After 2 weeks, I decided to "test" things and had 2 weak drinks without any problems or symptoms. These 2 drinks were spread out over the course of several hours.<o:p></o:p>

Seeing as I had no problems, I went another week with no alcohol and decided to have 3 (measured) drinks the following Saturday. The next day, symptoms returned and while I did not have the resting thumb tremor per se, but both hands were quite shaky (especially the right-very minor shakiness in the left). Also, again I felt anxious and had mild nausea.<o:p></o:p>

While the shakiness seems to have subsided a touch, it's now been 12 days and the shakes are still present. I'd call them mild, but they are there nonetheless. I'm also feeling like of nervous. Sometimes, these symptoms are worse and other times really barely notable. Right now, they are a touch on the worse side. I feel a bit shaky all over, but it is only barely visible in my hands.<o:p></o:p>

I had a recent major physical prior to these problems and no issues with liver etc were noted. I'm especially concerned that these symptoms are persisting for such a long period. I've read that these symptoms typically subside in 5-7 days and I'm hoping that it's not something more serious. While I have had some minor alcohol cravings, I haven't really had much difficulty not wanting to drink and I'm convinced that I can avoid alcohol for life if this is in fact what the problem is.<o:p></o:p>

Any thoughts, one way or the other? Does this sound like alcohol withdrawal syndrome to you, or does the duration of symptoms suggest something more serious? Thank you in advance for your comments! <o:p></o:p>
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

My suggestion is to go to your doctor and tell him what you've just told us. S/he can take some tests to pinpoint anything that may be causing these symptoms.
Please let us know what you find out. But, in my humble opinion, this doesn't seem to me to be withdrawal. You don't really have a "habbit" so to speak. I've had hang overs, (not proud, just a fact), and they've never lasted days.
Yea, call the doc.
Shalom!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, and Kermit;
Welcome to SR!!!
Shalom!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I think it might be withdrawl that may be acting in concert with another neurological condition.

There is a phenomenon of "kindling" in alcohol withdrawl in which, after time, increased withdrawl symptoms show up with lower and lower doses of booze. I know this is true for me, and yes 3 drinks will probably bring on slight tremors. Might be that.

I am wondering if the drinks did in fact bring about a slight withdrawl which sparked something else. You dropped alot of weight quickly. Nurtitional issues can also make someone shaky. what are you eating? atkins? wondering if it is a blood sugar issue.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

PPlease see your doctor.

Here is something you might find interesting..

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Hope you find answers..
Old 07-21-2005, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Find a qualified Physician they should know. However,
you say:
While I have had some minor alcohol cravings, I haven't really had much difficulty not wanting to drink and I'm convinced that I can avoid alcohol for life if this is in fact what the problem is.

If that statement is true...then what is the problem? Sure you can find someone to endorse your bad habits or poor choices. But you have the answer it appears and you are not especially fond of it. Good luck with Your solution!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alex Garrison
Find a qualified Physician they should know. However,
you say:
While I have had some minor alcohol cravings, I haven't really had much difficulty not wanting to drink and I'm convinced that I can avoid alcohol for life if this is in fact what the problem is.

If that statement is true...then what is the problem? Sure you can find someone to endorse your bad habits or poor choices. But you have the answer it appears and you are not especially fond of it. Good luck with Your solution!
The problem is that I don't specifically know that alcohol is the problem and I'm seeking input. I have scheduled an appointment with a Doctor, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Keep us posted,Kermitt.