Notices

is it a trade off?...1 addiction for another?

Old 07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it a trade off?...1 addiction for another?

Just wondering if anyone else can relate to this or has had similar experiences...it seems like when I am not drinking...I have to drink coffee like crazy...or smoke...which I am trying to quit also...so I chew that nicotine gum like crazy...I also find that I have to shop or spend money...is it like a compulsive thing or am I just crazy? It seems I am trading one addiction for another although I suppose the coffee and nicotine gum are the healthier of the two...although I do feel kind of jumpy all the time.....guess caffeine will do that to you. Anyways just wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has gone through this...thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They say that working the 12 steps will help relieve you of those kinds of compulsions. I don't know though. I've been able to stop drinking and taking pills, and I wasn't a smoker to begin with. I do eat more sweets than ever before, but I figure it's better than being in active addiction. I also work out a lot. So, maybe try substituting healthy activities for the bad ones.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have to fill the new found time with something... Just try to find positive things to eat, chew, do... etc..
Old 07-09-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug

The drinking was a "sympton" of bigger, deeper issuse's, or problems. Generally if we don't do anything about the "under-lying" stuff, the active addictions just keep rolling along. Drink, drugs, food, spending money, working, etc. Thats why we need some sort of after-care,(or planning) once the active addiction is stopped.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

we are indeed creatures subject to compulsive behaviours.

Cheer up. coffee and cigaretttes have kept a lot of us alive through all the other "manifestations of addiction" subject to substitution.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Addiction for Another

I know in my case; when I stopped drinking. My addiction did/does manifest itself in other ways. And of course, my addiction(s) are sympthoms of other underlying issues and I am working on them. My addiction is my hiding place from difficulties in my life..

But hey, I look at it this way, I was on the fast track to a DUI. I was pulled over once by the Police; thankfully the cop didn't notice I had been drinking. I don't think I will be pulled over and go to jail for: DUS (Driving under Starbucks) or DUC (driving under Cookies, Candy, etc.). Plus I think its less likely that I will killed myself and someone else behind the wheel after consuming a pint of Ice Cream; versus a pint of Booze.

So I guess I am saying that maybe some addictions can be a lot less harmful that quitting drinking and trading it for a hot fudge sundae everynight?

Just trying to put a little levity into it!

just my 2 cents
Old 07-09-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me? addicted? HAH!
OK, guilty as charged. I truly have an addictive personality, always have.

But some addictions are less harmful than others. Like my addiction to triathlon, which includes working out 6 days a week, losing 50+ lbs., and meeting many great friends... I'd say that's a pretty good one, and I can't get a TUI (Training Under the Influence) or go to jail.

What I need to keep an eye on is my sugar/ice cream/brownie addiction. It can get out of control and will hurt me. But as Andygirl mentioned, the 12 steps help with all of these...

I say, for now, as long as you aren't drinking or drugging, things are pretty good...

Ken
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Michael

Daisy,
I get a great kick from a super strong cup of espresso coffee, but I did when I was drinking. I don't hide my espresso machine, sneak it in to the shed or the garage and I rarely have more than one or two a day. I thoroughly enjoy the ones I have but do not have a craving for them.
I guess there are some things that give us pleasure that we control effortlessly, it's just that for me alcohol isn't one of them.
Michael
Old 07-09-2005, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Girl for me you have no idea. I still continue to substitute one thing for the next.
1. I am addicted to men a.k.a. unhealthy relationships, I get high off of the drama, I go for guys who I can "change" I am constantly trying to control people. When I drank I constantly tried to control that.
2. I am obsessed with my eating habits. Controlling how much I eat
3. Shopping...OMG I spend money I don't have to make myself feel better
4. I smoke 2 packs a day
5. Caffeine....Oh geez I wont talk about all the diet cokes and coffees I drink
6. And the list could continue......

But on the bright side of things I am aware today. When I first got sober I couldnt see what I was doing. THis is a process. Today I know that I need to fill that emptiness with God. All the Guess Jeans, sex, smokes, poker wont fill that emptiness. Usually for me I have to be in pain in order to change my behavior and when the pain gets bad enough I do something about it. Staying sober for a few years hasnt taken this away but what it has done is changed the level of my pain threshold. Dont get me wrong I still require a lot of pain but not as much as I did in the beginning. This is something that I need to constantly work on. All I know is that my answers lie within and with God and until I can go directly to God with my problems I will continue to have these small battles with these things I cant control.

Lauren
Old 07-09-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Um, two of you have mentioned cigarettes, so....do you all know what Bill W died of?!
Don S
Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies everyone...I know it's kind of a good trade off in a way...the smoking thing is still a pretty bad habit I know...but at least it wont hurt anyone else...well as long as I'm not smoking around them...but that is my next goal. Yeah, I guess there are other parts of my life that need working on...hence the self medicating with alcohol. But I am completely aware of that now...helps to have 5, almost 6 sober days to think about stuff like that. I guess great things can happen when you are not intoxicated, well in my opinion anyways. But I am happy to say that I made it through another day, and a Saturday night of all days, sober! Feels pretty good! And I really appreciate eveyones support here, this forum has really helped me to get insight on my life choices, bad and good, and how to keep things going in the right direction.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is addiction. Balance is the key. I have been addicted to drugs, alcohol and exercise. I guess I would rather die of running than of alcoholism.