Notices

Question

Old 03-26-2002, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cendyne386

Post Question

I have been a "functioning" alcoholic for many years. I started drinking when I was in Jr. High and continued to this day (I'm 33). Several things have happened over the years to warn me of the problem, but it wasn't until 3/16/02 that I finally got scared. I was arrested for DUI and the certinty of my life and future changed in 15 minutes (from leaving the bar to being pulled over).

I have two questions: 1. If I get help, which the courts are certain to impose, will I ever be able to keep my friends that I have that still drink? Including a significant other that I recently broke up with becuase of an arguement when we were drinking.

2. Can one recover from this without so much religion that I see so often. Don't get me wrong, I believe there is a higher power and this was his way of showing me what's right, but I'm not a church goer and don't believe in going to meetings and praying, etc.

Just thought I would ask, as my life will change from what I have known for 33 years, and i'm awful scared of what that is going to be.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2002, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberVoices.com

Question 1.
I have been sober for 15 years and alot has changed in my life. The people that I hung out with while drinking, I pretty much only hung out with them BECAUSE they were drinking. Today, I am a free man ! I go where I want ( including clubs, to see bands) and I go with whom I want ( many friends of mine drink - I figure that is their business) I know that its not THE drinking that was my problem but MY drinking that was MY problem. I can do all this knowing that I cannot drink safely !

Once I came into AA and learned a little bit about alcoholism, there were only a few simple questions I had to answer which the Big Book of AA and other members pointed out to me. They were these... Looking back in MY drinking history ( and being totally honest with myself ) Was there ever a time when I could " control " my drinking ... for me that answer was easy ...... I never drank for taste ..... I ALWAYS STARTED DRINKING TO GET DRUNK ! ..... I dont know if this will help you or not ! But I would say to answer question 1 .... YES if you choose to you can keep your friends and lovers...... though you may not want to keep them after a being sober for a bit ..... Time will tell !

Question 2 ...... I to this day cringe when people speak of GOD ...... I still use higher power when I speak of the power that AA helped me find and use as a source of strenth and direction ..... PRAY at the meetings or DONT PRAY at the meetings .... that is up to you ....... AA DEMANDS NOTHING OF YOU ! Its your life .....

Lastly a suggestion ...... Go sit in a few meetings in your town and see if you can relate to anything the people are saying .... Chances are ( IF you are alcoholic as I am alcoholic ) You will relate ... if that is the case .... RELAX .....

Best of luck to you ..... ( be glad you didnt hurt anyone while driving drunk remember you could be looking at a jail cell for a long time had you hurt someone ..... if givin a choice I think I would take a few AA meetings and having to hear a few prayers over a jail cell anyday )

Mike

------------------
Want solid recovery ? Visit the Visit the SoberVoices Voice 12 Step Recovery Clubhouse !

Old 03-27-2002, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cendyne386

Smile

Thanks Mike! I agree with what you said in your last paragraph. That is what scared me and made me start thinking seriously about this whole issue (in addition to the legal consequences). I started thinking, what "will happen" next time.... and I'm sure after 15+ years, there would be a next time if something doesn't change.

I'm sure I will relate to what is said at the meetings. In fact, I have read many stories on the internet and sites like this that I could swear I was the one that wrote them. In fact it was even more scarey when I got to the end of one in particular, and it was signed by someone with the same name!

I'll find out just how bad off I am on Monday when I have an assessment at a treatment center and see what they recommend.

Thanks again for the feedback,
Rick