Notices

Accepting what I don't want to hear

Old 03-25-2002, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Accepting what I don't want to hear

Hi everyone, Just wanted to touch on something I have been working to change. In the past I had trouble with recovery when someone told me something other than what I wanted to hear. Even on this site I felt comfortable when people said what I wanted to hear. I am learning that sometimes I am told what I need, not what I want. My sponsor reminded me that when I did what I want I drank. I was upset at first being told to get off the pitty pot, etc. I have joined a mens discussion group with my sponsor and it has been an eye or should I say an ear opener. Sometimes I am upset when I leave there but, later when I think about it I end up agreeing. When I was drinking I didn't like being told what to do.
All my wife had to do was say " Don't Drink"
and the I'll show her came right to the mind.
I have started asking for acceptance and the ability to listen to advice even if isn't what I think I don't want to hear. Hope you all had a good 24. Don
Old 03-28-2002, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Don,

Acceptance! It is looking at ourselves the way we really are and how others perceive us. I will speak for myself: My first meething I probably had the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. I grew from there.

This is a program of character defects. I am working on my 10th set. I remember sharing at a meeting (more like whining) and a man called Terrible Ted said "What makes you so damn important?" I thought I had an inferiority complex.....I didn't! Boy, did that hurt. He was one of the first volunteers to try Lithium. He ended up being a close friend. He is gone now and he died with great dignity.

Dig in your heels and take what is dished out. These people will not lie to you or spare your feelings. They don't want you to die. A mirror doesn't lie.

Love, Pickle

------------------
Old 03-28-2002, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Pickle, Your words a well taken. I agree with you. I feel like I am learning to live as an adult. There are always going to be people, places and things. I am learning how to deal with them without alcohol. The best part is that if I make a mistake I can admit it and just try to do it better next time. Have a good 24. Don
Old 04-02-2002, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Don: I know exactly how you feel. You get all kinds at meetings and if something or someone upsets you try to let it roll off your back.

I hope you are doing well and taking care of yourself.