Notices

very upset!!

Old 06-15-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

very upset!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=61662

This thread was posted under the "Ask the Experts" section. If this is the kind of advice the "experts" give, I think we need some new experts!! This woman is looking for help and all "the expert" gives her is the old AA line. I am not anti-AA in any way, but this woman has a medical concern and she is told to go to meetings. It sounds to me like she needs to go to a doctor and I PM'd her and told her so. Of course I'm not an expert. Here is the thread...

The Shakes
My drinking got out of hand last winter. I now start to drink in the morning to get over the shakes and hangover. What else (aside from going to the doctor) can I do to ease these tremors? I heard valerian tea might help, your opinion?

Olive -

The only suggestion I have for something that I know from experience really works is: make a decision to stop drinking, go to an AA meeting today, listen to people there & talk to someone there, get a phone number or two, call whoever it is whose number you've got, eat a good meal, go to bed, wake up, and make a pact with yourself not to pick up a drink that day, go to a meeting, and repeat the process. Of course this will only work if you really want to stop. If you don't want to stop, I'm afraid I have no advice - which in any event wouldn't be appropriate coming from this site, because it is not a medical forum. It's a recovery forum.

Good luck to you. We're pulling for you.

best,
Guy

Thanks for the advice. However, it does not help me. Sure, I quit drinking, how do I do it when my whole body shakes and I have to deal with my son's teacher? I mean a cup of coffee rattles against my teeth and my knees knock. I can't stand up without vibrating. I'm sorry to have bothered you. Will search elsewhere for an answer to making withdrawl a little easier.

Thanks again,
Olive

Am I wrong to be pissed about this???
Old 06-15-2005, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Tyler--I understand why you are upset. However, I also understand the response. She said she wanted to know what to do outside of going to a doctor. Besides, those "experts" could be held liable if they gave her the wrong medical advice. However, I wish he would have said more about seeking medical attention because, to me, that is just common sense.

As far as being upset, try not to let it get to you too much. YOU sent her a message telling her what you thought she should do. Hopefully, she will take your advice. In any case, it is out of your hands.

How are you doing, btw? Hope you are hanging in there.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Well you do have a point there Laura, I didn't see the part about not wanting to see a doctor. Oh well, perhaps an over reaction on my part.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Those guys are NOT doctors. I think it was good advice considering Olive did want something to do BESIDES going to the doctor which is clearly what she needs to do!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-15-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Other than seeking medical advice, I don't know what else she can do. Until she commits to not drinking, history will no doubt repeat itself. I think he gave good advice. Alcohol detox is ridden with anxity and fear, time and abstainance will help that subside.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If she's shaking that bad she really needs to check into an emergency room. DT's can kill a person. That's not giving medical advice, that's just an educated opinion and should be shared with anyone who's in such serious straights. The rest of the advice was great, though. If she did go to AA in that condition, at least the one I go to, someone would have taken her to the hospital, anyway. I sure hope she comes back here or gets some help somewhere. I'm praying for her child.