Notices

Want another beer right now...

Old 06-09-2005, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want another beer right now...

Thought it'd be ok to have a beer today, it has been a few months now since my drinking was a real problem so maybe it'd be ok to just have one. Ha! Yeah, it's that easy to stop once you've started again...

Sorry, I just had to post here to stop myself drinking for at least another five minutes... Just five minutes at a time, five minutes at a time...

It's absurd really, just last night I was sitting outside playing the guitar (something I don't do nearly enough) and feeling good about life, now... now life isn't so bad, I just want a drink. I really want a drink. It's nearly 11pm so I can't really do much to distract myself..

Well, I've lasted another 10 minutes without drinking... that's a good thing... right?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pheonix

I stayed sober for six months, and it only took one beer to send me over the high side for another seven years. Go play the guitar and have a coke and a smile Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

If you just keep playing guitar your hands will be busy and you can't pick up a beer. The urges will pass and you will feel empowered when you beat them.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StayingSober
Thought it'd be ok to have a beer today, it has been a few months now since my drinking was a real problem so maybe it'd be ok to just have one. Ha! Yeah, it's that easy to stop once you've started again...

Sorry, I just had to post here to stop myself drinking for at least another five minutes... Just five minutes at a time, five minutes at a time...

It's absurd really, just last night I was sitting outside playing the guitar (something I don't do nearly enough) and feeling good about life, now... now life isn't so bad, I just want a drink. I really want a drink. It's nearly 11pm so I can't really do much to distract myself..

Well, I've lasted another 10 minutes without drinking... that's a good thing... right?
SS, why don't you just quit playing around and do it up real good. I was always told to call my sponsor before I took that first dirnk. Call anyone, get to a meeting before I took that first drink. I think you still want to drink more than you don't want to drink. So, go ahead. Stop playing games. Get good and wasted. To hell with the guitar. To hell with everything. Keep up the way you're going and chances are you'll lose everything anyway.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Please hang in there!!! Drinking that beer is NOT worth it! The disease of alcholism is cunning, baffling and powervul and it will try to tell you that one beer won't hurt. It WILL hurt. We're all pulling for you!

Hugs--
Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Music's in a bad mood....
Listen, SS, urges may seem very strong, but urges will pass....
Thanks for posting, and let us know how it went.
Don S
Old 06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic the thought of just one beer is "why even bother"!!! For me one is never enough. If it were enough, why such a big deal to have just one. If it were that easy to have just one, then it would be that easy to have none at all. Just my alkie way of thinking. Hope you pull through!!

Kathy
Old 06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One beer? Don't think I ever wanted one beer!

Remember, it's not the locomotive that kills us, it's the rest of the train....

I know I can't drink safely today, or any day -- one, two -- it will always create the physical craving and get me drunk.

I never wanted a drink, I wanted TO drink.

Ken
Old 06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Michael

Staying Sober,

These sudden urges can be very difficult to deal with but they do pass. One thing has me puzzled. What is it that brought on the urge?
I have worked out a few trigger points for myself and if you are ready for the likelihood of an urge it can be a great deal easier to defeat. I wrote in a thread a few days ago that one of my triggers is mowing grass. Before giving up alcohol I would always have a beer following mowing the lawn. Sure enough when I finished mowing last week I had what I thought was an irrational urge to drink. It ws only when I reflected on the urge that I realised what had triggered it. Perhps if you go through your day prior to the urge you may be able to identify the cause.
Good luck, stay stayingsober.
Michael
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sobber, just thing on this - you are big man, what are 10 mins?
Don't tell me that you can't control yourself for 10 min. Hour. 5 Hours.
Many people did it. And you are person. Human being. You are not soooo different. This means, that you can do it also. Just think on this. You are not special for the people - which means, many many people have had this feeling and have survived. You are special, but for your self. Very very special - don't give up.F**k that beer! Life is sobber! I also used only beer - 20-30 per day. Till the end - my personal end. If I did it, you can also! What are you - man or bag of beer full of sh***s?

Be cool!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you made it thru that urge! It's good that you can use the board to dispell it isn't it?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you made it thru that urge!
Yep nearly 12 hours later and the urge isn't here anymore

SS, why don't you just quit playing around and do it up real good. I was always told to call my sponsor before I took that first dirnk. Call anyone, get to a meeting before I took that first drink. I think you still want to drink more than you don't want to drink. So, go ahead. Stop playing games. Get good and wasted. To hell with the guitar. To hell with everything. Keep up the way you're going and chances are you'll lose everything anyway.
I don't know whether to shout at you or thank you... it always seems to help me more when someone says I can't do something, that I'm just going to screw it up anyway. Makes me want to succeed even more so thanks I guess. You're an *******, but a helpful one.

To everyone else, thanks so much for the support. I do appreciate it.
Just 10 minutes at a time, one day at a time or one year at a time, I don't care, I'll get through this, thanks to being able to come and post here when the urge to drink is too strong.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StayingSober
I don't know whether to shout at you or thank you... it always seems to help me more when someone says I can't do something, that I'm just going to screw it up anyway. Makes me want to succeed even more so thanks I guess. You're an *******, but a helpful one.
I know what you mean SS. My first sponsor used to say the same thing to me. Pissed me off but made me think. "Do I really want to continue like this or not?" It just takes a decision and some followup. So, make your decision and follow up on it. Decide to stop and do whatever it takes, or, decide to keep going the way you are and do whatever it takes. Your choice!!

PS....You're not the first person to call me an ******* either.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Music:
I have to say -- there has to come a time in my life when I can sit with you in an AA meeting (let me know if you ever get near Phoenix for vacation). You are just no bullsh*t, here's the program, take it or leave it. I love it, man -- it's got to be that way, because given an easier, softer way -- many of us will choose that.

Thanks for being the way you are.

Ken