Notices

I'm A newbie

Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm A newbie

Hi, I am new and quite embarassed to say the least. I have always been a drinker but was able to quit and bring it down to weekends out. NOw is a different story. I moved into a house on a dead end street in Lake Geneva WI, the only people on our streat are the richy chicago people on wknds over the summer. I used to manage 2 yes 2 restaurants till my owner sold out(subways) and I became a full time Mom. This is when my drinking became a prob. Yes it probably was before, because I always knew if i drank for 2 days in a row I was done for and really had to make an effort to quit. However for the past 2 to 21/2 years now I have been drinking every night to every other or every other 3rd night. I get excited if I can go for 3 nights. I am scared to death of serosous(sp) My Grandpa's on both sides died from alcoholism and most of my relatives are alcis, it sooooooo runs in the family,...........I don't want to have to tell my fam what is going on I already have 2 of the 4 siblings in AA I know I can quit, I just need friends to talk to when the day gets stressed with the kids and the hubby doesn't come home. OK I think I can quit. It just seems like when I moved I lost my friends, I just need some adult communication kids can only take you so far ya know. Anyway I guess I am done babbling now and YES i am drinking SORRY!!!!! I will be honest.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((dena)))
Welcome to SR!
You've found a place of support, with people who care. You know about AA; are you aware of other methods of quitting? DonS posts much good information on alternatives. Take a look at some of his posts.
Oh, and don't ever be sorry for being honest, ok? We are only as sick as our secrets...
Others will be here to help you on your journey of recovery. I wish you the best!
Shalom!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there are 4 siblings and actually 2 of them are in AA right now. I am simply scared to go cuz then I have to admit what is happening, does that make sence. I feel like I should be able to controll it my self without outside help. I probably can't but I don't want to be labled an alcoholic, don't ask me why but I don't. However I also know I want to be the mom I used to be and with alci, I am not, I have gained weight like 60 lbs so I can't do the same stuff I used to I use to weigh 118 now much more I can't do what I used to be able to and it sucks and I think about how much it sucks and then I get stressed and I pick up a beer!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

If you had cancer, diabetes or some other disease, would you be able to "control" it? Feeling like you should be able to control alcohol denies the idea that it is a disease. However, there is some truth to the idea that labeling is disabling. Especially if a label causes you to not get the help you deserve.
Whatyou know is that alcohol is interfering with your children and it causes stress in your life. AA does not require anyone to state they are an alcoholic. The only requirement for membership is that one has a desire to stop drinking.
What would be the worst thing to happen to you if you stopped drinking?
What will be the worst that will happen if you don't?
I'm no expert. Others will come by shortly now to help. But, I sure wouldn't want to see a construct, (the label), get in the way of your health....
Shalom!
Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by historyteach
What would be the worst thing to happen to you if you stopped drinking?
What will be the worst that will happen if you don't?
Beautiful! There is no downside to stopping drinking, so if you think you have a problem with drinking, just stop. Of course, it may turn out that you have a problem stopping drinking. Is it better to suffer in silence or to get help and get on with living the happy, serene, and joyful life you deserve?

Having tried both, I can say that for me, suffering in silence was the more painful of the two. Once I admitted that I couldn't do it by myself and gave up my ego driven and just plain wrong belief that it would somehow be worth more if I could do it all by myself, I started to recover. I'm still very much a work in progress but I am just so much happier than I was two and half years ago.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Tony
Old 06-09-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

My brother was so proud of me when I followed him into AA. And I am proud of my 27 year old Gramdsom with 4+ years in AA recovery. A family disease.

We are also diabetic..just another family disease.

Dena...sime things can not be avoided or cured. Happy to tell you alcoholism and diabetes can be kept in remission.

I suggest a physical. It will ease your mind as to what damage alcohol has done.

You want to live to raise your children.

Hope you stay here at SR..we understand as we have been just where you are!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dena: Have you talked to one of your sibs that are in AA? Chances are that they have been where you are now? JMO
((Dena))
Old 06-09-2005, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hello Dena--Welcome to SR. There is no shame in admitting you need help and asking for it. There IS shame in knowing you need help and refusing to ask for it. I stayed drunk for many years because I was convinced I should be able to quit on my own. I finally surrendered and went to treatment and AA, and now I have been clean and sober for over 15 months.

Glad you found us and I am wishing you recovery!!!

Hugs--
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pheonix

Hi Dena-I'm a newbie too! Also a mom, also a beer drinker, also feeling the effects of too much beer around the old waistline. I feel where you're coming from. If you think you may have a problem, talk to one of those siblings. Thats what family is for! Welcome to the site, peruse the posts, it helps if you don't feel alone.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((((Dena))))))))
Welcome to SR.

You seem to know "just what you need" from what I read in this thread. So, if that works for you .......... have at it and good luck.

If it doesn't, I certainly hope to see you posting on the message boards down the road and possibly even meeting you in the chatroom someday.

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi dena and welcome!
Ditto on the isolating mom alkie! Been there done that for many, many years. Please talk to your siblings in AA, they can help you out of the misery.